EGS no longer in color [news Jan/10]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: EGS no longer in color [news Jan/10]

Postby Unforgiven on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:34 am

Just to add my two cents, I also preferred the colour look. I can understand Dan's reasons for not wanting to do it, and I certainly can't stop him (nor would I want to), but that doesn't change my own particular preference.
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:25 am

horus wrote:One last thing: about EGS being "Cartoony"? So? Some of my favorite comics are the old 1940s Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons we don't get to see on television any more. If you ask me (and I'm not saying you have), EGS is in good company.

The conversation wasn't whether about being cartoony is a blessing or a stigma, it was about whether colour makes EGS cartoony while b&w makes it "stylish" or whether EGS is just inherently stylish. I don't think anyone wants it to stop being cartoony as it naturally lends itself to EGS; what with it regarding itself as a comedy.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Gazing Rabbit on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 am

A new strip is up and this discussion is now irrelevant.
See you around the next time Dan makes an important newspost :P.
Comment best view with your common sense turned "on".
Gazing Rabbit
Junior Keenspotter

Postby horus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Nocturn wrote:
horus wrote:One last thing: about EGS being "Cartoony"? So? Some of my favorite comics are the old 1940s Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons we don't get to see on television any more. If you ask me (and I'm not saying you have), EGS is in good company.

The conversation wasn't whether about being cartoony is a blessing or a stigma, it was about whether colour makes EGS cartoony while b&w makes it "stylish" or whether EGS is just inherently stylish. I don't think anyone wants it to stop being cartoony as it naturally lends itself to EGS; what with it regarding itself as a comedy.

Okay, it looks like I misunderstood. Sorry. I personally don't think being b&w is inherently more stylish, or that EGS is "inherently stylish" (whatever that means). It certainly has a style of its own, though, and this present change to b&w seems to me something of a departure. If that's what Dan wants do to, it's his comic, and I'm cool with that even though I liked color better.

Later On,
D
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 pm

I think inherently stylish meant it had a style of its own.

Nocturn: Stylish means in fashion, styled means having a style.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby horus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Illusionist wrote:I think inherently stylish meant it had a style of its own.

Nocturn: Stylish means in fashion, styled means having a style.

Yeah, what I think I was trippin' over was that turn of phrase. "Inherently" means the stylishness is there as an essential or permanent attribute - I wasn't too sure that's what was intended. That's all I was trying to get out.

Later On,
D
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Gazing Rabbit wrote:Frankly, I think Dan's current way of coloring subtract from the comics. It gives a cartoonish atmosphere, which doesn't go well with the realistic mindset of the characters. I know I'm not one to judge, but that's my opinion.

I agree that the color adds to the cartoonish atmosphere, and I also agree with all the other people who argued that without color it is still cartoonish in appearance. However, I tend to focus more on the lighthearted side of EGS, so the cartoonish-ness seem appropriate to me.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm

So… The way we had avatars in the reaction threads, and sometimes colorations, what about having colorations in the reaction threads? The bunnies aren't generally as good as Dan, but that way we could have it in color without bothering Dan. Anyone feel like it?
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Darechan wrote:...what about having colorations in the reaction threads? The bunnies aren't generally as good as Dan, but that way we could have it in color without bothering Dan.

Um... out of curiosity, have you read the last reaction thread?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Um... out of curiosity, have you read the last reaction thread?

Not since about 3am last night, I'm reading the rest now. (I generally read the forum bottom-up, and it's at the top at the mo.)
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Forum avatars using images from my comics being colored wouldn't bug me.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby nitpicking on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Darekun wrote:So… The way we had avatars in the reaction threads, and sometimes colorations, what about having colorations in the reaction threads? The bunnies aren't generally as good as Dan, but that way we could have it in color without bothering Dan. Anyone feel like it?

To expand on what Chaos Priestess wrote: Dan DESPISES this idea and aside from any other considerations, why go out of your way to make a nice guy feel bad?
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:19 am

nitpicking wrote:To expand on what Chaos Priestess wrote: Dan DESPISES this idea and aside from any other considerations, why go out of your way to make a nice guy feel bad?

But... but how do we know that Dan is actually nice? Maybe he is really evil! EVIL! And out to create a mindless army of brainwashed bunnies to RULE THE WORLD!!!

:shifty:
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Geeklust on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Seeing a comic in color would be great as a treat or for an important event in the story every now and then. But if it means getting to see more updates of our favorite comic more often I am more than happy to see the majority of comics in black and white. Plus it's what Dan wants and it is his comic. Besides, a happy comic artist means a higher quality, more often updated comic for the rest of us. On top of that, it really does look good in black and white anyways.
Geeklust
Junior Keenspotter

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive