Translating EGS ?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: Translating EGS ?

Postby nitpicking on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:31 pm

One legal point: here in the United States, it has never been legal (going back to the founding) to copy someone else's work within the copyright term without permission, which most certainly DOES include translation.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 am

Aeg'air wrote:Ouch A levels... I'm only choosing my GCSE's this year.

Bit of advice: Don't take Business Studies. Everyone in my class hated it, and everyone else I've spoken to who did it also hates it.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:04 am

Doesn't seem like Dan is looking at the thread. Anybody wanna ask Dan directly, or shall we just keep the translation project in the realm of dreams?

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 am

Nocturn wrote:Doesn't seem like Dan is looking at the thread. Anybody wanna ask Dan directly, or shall we just keep the translation project in the realm of dreams?

Realm of dreams, realm of dreams! It seems to be more hassle than needed. It may give more hits but will ultimately be a pain.

Illusionist wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:Ouch A levels... I'm only choosing my GCSE's this year.

Bit of advice: Don't take Business Studies. Everyone in my class hated it, and everyone else I've spoken to who did it also hates it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Drama, Art (Dunno what kind mind you), and Drama.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 am

Two batches of Drama?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 am

No... that's the part where I mess up thinking I've already typed psychology *facepalm*
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 am

As far as I am concerned, one cannot have enough drama.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 am

Aeg'air wrote:No... that's the part where I mess up thinking I've already typed psychology *facepalm*

I didn't do any of those classes, so I can't give you first hand advice. However, my friends in art often complained about how much coursework they had, so be sure you can handle the workload.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03 am

Nocturn wrote:As far as I am concerned, one cannot have enough drama.

And thats the reason I'm going to Neustadt (I think that's how it's spelt... it's german).
Illusionist wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:No... that's the part where I mess up thinking I've already typed psychology *facepalm*

I didn't do any of those classes, so I can't give you first hand advice. However, my friends in art often complained about how much coursework they had, so be sure you can handle the workload.

That and my lack of skill at art worries me.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 am

Aeg'air wrote:And thats the reason I'm going to Neustadt (I think that's how it's spelt... it's german).

which one?
:lol:
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 am

Ineluki wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:And thats the reason I'm going to Neustadt (I think that's how it's spelt... it's german).

which one?
:lol:

No idea.. one twinned with a school in Lincolnshire?!
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:56 am

I think we just found the German Springfield.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:59 am

Nocturn wrote:I think we just found the German Springfield.

As in impossible to find?
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Doesn't Neustadt mean "New town"? That's efficient but boring, even by German standards.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Well thats great... And I suppose we'll be performing in a "New School".
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Aeg'air wrote:
Nocturn wrote:I think we just found the German Springfield.

As in impossible to find?

As in there's an abundance of it. I know several people who live in Springfield, and they all live in different states.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tybalt on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Is there that much flood on all topics ? (Just checking : some of the other boards I visit daily are very stern on the question, some others not.)

I assume if Dan doesn't even answer it's not really worth going on. It will be a pity, though :(
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:22 pm

When you say flood, do you mean wildly off-topic tangents that get more attention than the original subject? If so, yes, thinks are kind of like that around here. Feel free to join in.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Illusionist wrote:When you say flood, do you mean wildly off-topic tangents that get more attention than the original subject? If so, yes, thinks are kind of like that around here. Feel free to join in.

And I regret to say since I joined this forum these events have increased slightly...
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:50 pm

I haven't noticed much of a difference. It could always be coincidence.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Illusionist wrote:I haven't noticed much of a difference. It could always be coincidence.

I was stating the fact that I never help staying on topic, notice this thread for example.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:30 pm

That: *

My head: *

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Melvar on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Specifically considering German, what German should one translate into? Just about everyone uses at least a trace of dialect, after all, except those people who speak it non-primarily. The differences are usually something like those between American and British English, except that there are more than two groups.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby ChronosCat on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Nocturn wrote:Except I'd argue that based on the fact that some comics in the past used it to foreshadow plot points, but hey.

I didn't even suspect Uryoum to be a cipher until I got on the forums, and by then I had read all the way through the archives (to part way through the Birthday Party). I'd say thanks to this those plot points weren't foreshadowed properly for me - except the plot foreshadowed in Tedd's dream still hasn't come into play (and probably won't for quite some time).
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 am

ChronosCat wrote:
Nocturn wrote:Except I'd argue that based on the fact that some comics in the past used it to foreshadow plot points, but hey.

I didn't even suspect Uryoum to be a cipher until I got on the forums, and by then I had read all the way through the archives (to part way through the Birthday Party). I'd say thanks to this those plot points weren't foreshadowed properly for me - except the plot foreshadowed in Tedd's dream still hasn't come into play (and probably won't for quite some time).

And I am so x50 annoyed about that.
Damn you Squato and your awesome System of a Down Egs Video.
He made it look so awesome, and now we gonna have to wait 6 moths to a few years for it to resolved.
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive