Translating EGS ?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: Translating EGS ?

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Darryl wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Yes they can, they're just not funny any more.

Besides, how many puns are there in EGS.

If you lose the humor of the pun, it's not translated.

Look at it this way. If you translate a sentence from English to German without taking into account differences in culture and laws of grammar, what you get makes no sense. So you change it. You move the verbs around, assign genders to objects and remove all references to the third reich so you don't get arrested.

Why should puns be any different? Just change one of the words so it's still funny.

Somewhat ninjad but whatever.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darryl on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Illusionist wrote:
Darryl wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Yes they can, they're just not funny any more.

Besides, how many puns are there in EGS.

If you lose the humor of the pun, it's not translated.

Look at it this way. If you translate a sentence from English to German without taking into account differences in culture and laws of grammar, what you get makes no sense. So you change it. You move the verbs around, assign genders to objects and remove all references to the third reich so you don't get arrested.

Why should puns be any different? Just change one of the words so it's still funny.

Somewhat ninjad but whatever.

This is why people are paid rather hefty salaries to perform "localization" on video games, television shows, and movies. And why you can tell when it was done well or poorly rather easily.

Illusionist wrote:You move the verbs around, assign genders to objects and remove all references to the third reich so you don't get arrested.
Tact. Ever heard of it?
I love Tricia, yes I do.
Bunny rabbits and hares are nearly as awesome as Tricia.
Scotty wrote:English is the illegitimate child of every other language on this planet.
Darryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tricia on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Illusionist wrote:Why should puns be any different? Just change one of the words so it's still funny.
So...in other words, change the material.

Which I'm almost certain Dan doesn't want happening.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 pm

Darryl wrote:
Illusionist wrote:You move the verbs around, assign genders to objects and remove all references to the third reich so you don't get arrested.
Tact. Ever heard of it?

The fact that it's illegal to goose step, give the Fascist salute or sing the first two verses of the Horst Wessel Leid in Germany. Ever heard of it?

And Tricia, I'm sure Dan has more important concerns than a few puns.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Illusionist wrote:
And Tricia, I'm sure Dan has more important concerns than a few puns.

And I suppose that translating the comic into German isn't one of them.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Having the comic reach a wide audience is one of his main concerns.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:28 pm

However redoing his whole comic is something he'd hate to do.
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:28 pm

But having it done in a good and proper form isn't?

...good thing you don't speak for Dan.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Which is why, Aeg'air he might let a few jokes get altered by some other translator, for the sake of, say, 5,000 more hits per update day.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darryl on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Illusionist wrote:The fact that it's illegal to goose step, give the Fascist salute or sing the first two verses of the Horst Wessel Leid in Germany. Ever heard of it?

It's also illegal to do those with the intent to cause a disruption of the peace in the US. Hate crime legislation (Though the Horst Wessel Leid probably isn't well known enough to do that here).

Heck, a Fox News stock analyst lost his job with Fox News for a while because he goosestepped and gave the fascist salute in a public arena (John Bradshaw Layfield, who is a pro wrestler and stock analyst).

I'll let Noxy field exactly how wrong you are on those other counts, though.
I love Tricia, yes I do.
Bunny rabbits and hares are nearly as awesome as Tricia.
Scotty wrote:English is the illegitimate child of every other language on this planet.
Darryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 pm

But it's still his hobby. If he has to go around hiring or sorting out translators then it kinda ruins the idea of it being his hobby. If you think that the delays have been bad now if he has to get translators and get them to get the work done on time the comic would have to be 1 a week with delays worse then the one now.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Darryl wrote:
Illusionist wrote:I'll let Noxy field exactly how wrong you are on those other counts, though.

Thank you, Dee.

Writing about Hitler and the third Reich is allowed. In fact, portraying the fascist salute and even the Swastika are allowed when it's done under the pretense of having it done in an artform. There have been several drama movies made about Hitler's fall with the salute and symbol present, and I can name at least one comedy made with these present.

As for Germany's National Anthem, the first verse names completely outdated geographical boundaries. Imagine what would happen if the American Anthem was changed to include the line "we own Canada". As for the second verse, I have yet to look into it again, the first one's usually the one always in debate so that's the one that sticks out in my memory.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Tricia wrote:Er...see, the thing is that Dan can't speak French. How is he supposed to know if the translation is accurate?

And since you're so smart, Illy, tell me how to say Uryoum in <insert non-English language you speak here>.

I'm not Illusionist, but I do have an answer: "Uryoum". Unless you intend to do "localization", there's no reason to change names when translating from one language to another. Similarly, things said in the Uryoum language could be kept the same - it's not "supposed" to be English after all (even if we know it really is English written in code).

As for the question of should Dan let fans translate his work, I'll leave that question to him.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 pm

ChronosCat wrote:Similarly, things said in the Uryoum language could be kept the same - it's not "supposed" to be English after all (even if we know it really is English written in code).

The issue with deciding whether to translate Uryoum is to see what you classify it as. Nobody would translate Klingon or whatever Tolkien's elves speak into German or French or anything, because these are in itself valid languages with their own vocabulary and grammar. At the most, you'd just change the subtitles if there are any.

Uryoum, on the other hand, is little more than pig-English, once you figure out how it has been coded from English. Once you got the code table down, you can essentially translate Uryoum into English, English into German, and German into German-Uryoum.

Though you may just argue that that is just tedious and wholly unnecessary because Uryoum isn't supposed to be translated in the first place. Except I'd argue that based on the fact that some comics in the past used it to foreshadow plot points, but hey.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Nocturn wrote:
Darryl wrote:
Illusionist wrote:I'll let Noxy field exactly how wrong you are on those other counts, though.

Thank you, Dee.

Writing about Hitler and the third Reich is allowed. In fact, portraying the fascist salute and even the Swastika are allowed when it's done under the pretense of having it done in an artform. There have been several drama movies made about Hitler's fall with the salute and symbol present, and I can name at least one comedy made with these present.

As for Germany's National Anthem, the first verse names completely outdated geographical boundaries. Imagine what would happen if the American Anthem was changed to include the line "we own Canada". As for the second verse, I have yet to look into it again, the first one's usually the one always in debate so that's the one that sticks out in my memory.

Note that what I say for the purposes of a joke may not be 100% accurate when checked against a history textbook. It is, of course, legal to portray what actually happened, I was commenting on how the German government takes very careful measures to ensure it doesn't happen again, and to do this prevents the man in the street from giving the Fascist salute etc.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tybalt on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Wow. So people are, um, interested. It would just be better if the debate could stay calm and polite. Seen the number of my posts here on the right ? I'm new here, so if people get rude, I'll use my Graceness to make squirrel eyes and cry and go away, and you'll all feel very guilty deep down inside. Don't want that to happen, eh ? :smug:

I think, too, there are some things we don't need that much to debate about. First, the "Don't do X because Dan won't approve of it" argument has already been quoted, so it's not that interesting to use it again. I do hope, though, he'll have the time to take a look at this thread and tell us what he thinks about the idea. Until then, the point of this topic is to see wether people here find the concept of EGS translations interesting, and how they think would be the best method to do it.
Second, let's not wander too much on the general problems of translation and "it's a work of art so it can't be translated". Of course it can. Joyce can be translated. Terry Pratchett can be translated. And I think those two cover much more translation problems than EGS.
So yes, EGS can be translated. How to translate it well, though, is a real problem. I think it will demand some basic reflexion before the start, and the translators will probably need some way to ask Dan and/or English-speakers in general and/or people who know EGS very well about the problems and subtleties they'll find in this or that particular episode. But hey, it's precisely what this board is all about, isn't it ?

Nocturn wrote:See, here's the thing. When you translate, you just don't translate word-for-word. You're going to want to get the meaning of the entire sentence across, not just the meanings of every single word in a way that they just don't match up anymore. This is why translating can actually be a pretty tough job. Finding that balance between sticking to the source-material and adjusting it for the target audience is, well, a balancing act.

I strongly agree. See, translating is a job all by itself. I personally am not an English-to-French professional translator : I just happen to read English quite well and to love EGS ; but I've done a lot of translating in high school, in English-to-French as well as from and to other languages, so I think I could do it. It would need work and time, of course. But anyway, this is not worse than having anything on the Internet done by fans. And a lot of very well-done projects work just like this.

EDIT : As for the problem of translating puns, it is mainly a problem of finding equivalents, as was already pointed before. Of course, if we do so, it's not a word-to-word translation, of course, but that's not the point of a translation anyway. The main task of a translator is to 1) understand precisely the text or work he has to translate, and 2) make it understand by the reader/viewer/whatever, so that the meaning keeps either the same, or as close as possible to the original work. When a pun uses homophones or things that are based on something that is specific to the original language, one can always find equivalents. Sometimes it's very difficult, but hey, that's what makes the quality of a translation. I'll take an example from the Lion King. In the first scene after the opening song, Zazu tells Scar that Mufasa is quite angry because Scar wadn't present at Simba's kinda-birth-ceremony, and he says : "He (Mufasa) is like a hippo with a hernia". Of course there is a play on words with the aspiration provided by the "h" in the two words. In French, the play on words was : "Il est comme un puma qui aurait une pneumonie". Said sentence is not an exact translation ("puma" is not the French word for "hippo", nor is "pneumonie" the correct word for "hernia" - this would be simply "hernie"), but it finds an equivalent of the original play on sounds, using the sound "p" insted of "h".
The same thing can be done, in more complex ways, with cultural references. Of course the translator has to recognize said references in the first place ; if not the translation will be incomplete and poor. But here, in case people don't know EGS and anglo-saxon culture enough, they could ask questions on this board.
Last edited by Tybalt on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Tybalt wrote:Wow. So people are, um, interested. It would just be better if the debate could stay calm and polite. Seen the number of my posts here on the right ? I'm new here, so if people get rude, I'll use my Graceness to make squirrel eyes and cry and go away, and you'll all feel very guilty deep down inside. Don't want that to happen, eh ? :smug:

A small group of people (me included) will tear each other's throats out over anything. In fact, if I ever agree with Tricia or Nocturn, whatever we agree about is almost certainly right, because it would have to be to keep us from arguing.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Acriaos on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:17 pm

I really don't see the problem with uryuom, it worked the same way with Futurama... All those alien signs are still in english, even in the german version.

Anyway, while I would like to see translated versions, it would require lots of boring recoding on the website and lots of probably even more boring administration of the whole translation process. Dan said, he doesn't wan't an alternative archive, which obviously makes sence, since he wouldn't get anything out of it and other may even be profiting from his work. So it would have to be on the EGS-page and Dan would be responsible for everything that gets uploaded there... Sorry, I just think this would be too much work with too little profit.

Oh and btw. in the case of "Atheism is a non-prophet institution." Prophet and profit means the same thing in german :) Everything can be translated, although it would lose something. But this is the case for every translated book, movie, comic or whatever and people still prever to read the translated version, which they understand, than the better original version, where they don't get half of the jokes. But there would probably a lot more problems, especially about how to translate a specific pun where a lot of people would disagree and a lot of problems would have to be solved. Something which would have to be done by Dan in the end... I would like to see this project, I would even help translate to german, but I'm not sure, everybody knows how much work this would mean.
Acriaos
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Illusionist wrote:
Tybalt wrote:Wow. So people are, um, interested. It would just be better if the debate could stay calm and polite. Seen the number of my posts here on the right ? I'm new here, so if people get rude, I'll use my Graceness to make squirrel eyes and cry and go away, and you'll all feel very guilty deep down inside. Don't want that to happen, eh ? :smug:

A small group of people (me included) will tear each other's throats out over anything. In fact, if I ever agree with Tricia or Nocturn, whatever we agree about is almost certainly right, because it would have to be to keep us from arguing.

Don't forget Radical Mouse... he almost killed me when I joined.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:20 pm

He gets angry sometimes, but most of the time he's not even here.

And I've forgotten what his problem was. Enlighten me?

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:22 pm

I mentioned Dan Brown assuming he was a mad priest.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:24 pm

You'd think I'd remember it, but...nothing.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Well... I kinda bad mouthed christianity saying it was sexist... ring any bells?
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Starting to. So much has happened to me since then (BAAAAAAAW A-Levels BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW) that it's like peering back into the mists of time.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Ouch A levels... I'm only choosing my GCSE's this year.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive