Font Opinions

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Font Opinions

Postby DarkShive on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Deviant Art Font Test - I am interested in as many opinions on this as possible. Genuine criticisms are not only welcome, but asked for.

Story comics resume Tuesday, though there will be changes.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Re: Font Opinions

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Well it's, um... very, uh, fontish looking Dan! :nervous:

Well OK, if I were to go into detail it kinda looks to me like the letters are a little less squashed together with your font, but the letters themselves look just a little bit sloppier. Overall though there doesn't seem to be much difference. If you've been spending a lot of time on this I'm not sure I could honestly say it was time well spent.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ranma_2k8 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Hmm...well, a few minor tweaks to make it a touch neater might be appreciated, but other than that, it's a pretty nice font, and actually looks more legible than your faux-bold Comic Sans MS font.

Font...approved! *thumbs up!* :lol:
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
Ranma_2k8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Honestly? If you had switched the main comic, I would not have noticed a difference. I think your own font is slightly better in terms of readability. The thing is, in educational terms I'm a "sight reader". I don't notice the letters on any conscious level, the meaning is just presented to my language centers. In a very real sense I don't see the letters themselves unless I have to take notice of them for some reason.

As a result, unless the font is very unusual and strikingly not what I'm used to, I literally am not aware of it most of the time.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Youwillneverknow on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm

I can only find two flaws in the new font, The letters appear to be a little fuzzier and I miss the serif "I"'s, but these are only minor thing, If you had changed the font, I wouldn't have even noticed, no offence
Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:41 pm

To repeat what I said on DeviantArt, the new font looks more "organic" than normal "Comics MS". Also, I like how the letters are rounded instead of pointy.

Most importantly, it looks like it won't be hard to read, and will mesh with the "EGS Style".
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CidGregor on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:23 am

This is more in response to the news post overall, so:

A) The font is really irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. If it's legible, it's great. I wouldn't lose sleep over it whichever you happen to lean toward.

B) I have no idea why you're not satisfied with the coloring job in your comic, because I think the color is fantastic and lively and vibrant and fitting and so many other nice words, and from a purely objective standpoint I think it would be a HUGE step backward for EGS to put a stop to color comics. I don't expect to change your mind about it, and I don't pretend to know what exactly your problem is with the coloring job (though I would very much like to), but....again, dropping the color after the time spent WITH color seems like such a turn for the worse. Not a deal-breaker, but something I'd vote vehemently against.
"Nice guys finish last......but only because we have farther to go." - Lord Belgarion

"Lesbians are Neato!" - Tedd Verres

My EGS Fanfiction:
Twin Envy, ALTERNATE ENDING ADDED APRIL 23RD '08!
Basic Instinct, COMPLETED AUGUST 1ST '08!
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:48 am

CidGregor wrote:This is more in response to the news post overall, so:

A) The font is really irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. If it's legible, it's great. I wouldn't lose sleep over it whichever you happen to lean toward.

B) I have no idea why you're not satisfied with the coloring job in your comic, because I think the color is fantastic and lively and vibrant and fitting and so many other nice words, and from a purely objective standpoint I think it would be a HUGE step backward for EGS to put a stop to color comics. I don't expect to change your mind about it, and I don't pretend to know what exactly your problem is with the coloring job (though I would very much like to), but....again, dropping the color after the time spent WITH color seems like such a turn for the worse. Not a deal-breaker, but something I'd vote vehemently against.

SECONDED

I made those comments on the font because you (Dan) asked for it, but when I'm focusing on the story I don't really notice such things. (I didn't even notice the old strip with lowercase letters in it until someone else pointed it out in a S.T.O.R.Y. thread.)

Also, when reading through the archives the first time, I always was happy to discover a new comic that was colored. I was disappointed by the switch to greyscale because it coincided with the loss of color, and was quit happy when you brought the color back - even more so when you added shading. The current look of the comic is my favorite so far, and while I'll keep reading even with the color gone again, judging by past experience I will not enjoy the artwork quite as much.

As I said when you were contemplating switching to color, B&W works quite well for some comics, but I feel that the look of color is more suited to the EGS universe.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 am

ChronosCat wrote:
CidGregor wrote:B) I have no idea why you're not satisfied with the coloring job in your comic, because I think the color is fantastic and lively and vibrant and fitting and so many other nice words, and from a purely objective standpoint I think it would be a HUGE step backward for EGS to put a stop to color comics. I don't expect to change your mind about it, and I don't pretend to know what exactly your problem is with the coloring job (though I would very much like to), but....again, dropping the color after the time spent WITH color seems like such a turn for the worse. Not a deal-breaker, but something I'd vote vehemently against.

SECONDED

THIRDED

Really now, that's sad. Have you ever considered outsourcing the coloring part to save time?

@fonts:
In addition to what I already said on dA: the I's could be a little thinner.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby mandros on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:15 am

First I'm OK with both fonts. Second i must feel to play devils advocate and say i like the idea to go back to black and white it saves time and make updates easier, but i will hope for the occasional color comic.
Named Most likely to tell his/her grand kids about Mayhem.

working on an RP

a friend of mine just got his own web site here (Still under construction)

yes im a brony
mandros
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sphendule on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:40 am

@font topic:

The only thing that I like better about the other font compared to yours is the O's. Your O's look a little big compared to the rest of the letters, whereas the O's of the base font look slightly italicized that makes them seem normal sized. However, in general, like many others above have said, I don't really pay much attention to the font unless it's noticeably different or my attention is brought to it.

@rest of news post:

Granted, it's your comic, so you can do whatever you want to do with it. If it makes it more fun for you to do it in gray-scale, then do it. However, I, for one, really enjoy when you put the effort into making it colored, even if the number of comics output is less than if you used gray-scale. As long as I can expect an update to your site regularly and at least once a week, even if it's just a news post or filler, I'd be happy. I also like seeing how much your art style has developed over the years.
Sphendule
Junior Keenspotter

Postby B.T. Isaac on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:59 am

All I have to say is, I'll miss the colors.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 am

I really didn't notice much of a difference, to be honest.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 am

Hmm. It doesn't look bad...but you really ought to stick with one version of I, I think. Using one for uppercase and one for lowercase just looks...off.

The exclamation point is a lot better than the Comic Sans one...but it needs straightening. It looks almost italicised when compared to "distracted". The question mark in the third panel looks similarly wonky, mostly in the downstroke.

Some of the letters also don't seem to be uniform enough thickness...but it might just be the way it seems. Es especially seem to be extra-thick, while Ts don't stand out very much. But this could just be the way it seems...I dunno.

Pretty good job, though. Will work nicely once all the bumps get smoothed out.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 am

I will miss the colours. They are absolutely fantastic, I think. But I also don't want you to spend time and effort on something that detracts from your enjoyment of making EGS.

Regarding the fonts, I can't tell the difference between them at a glance. Which, I suppose, means that your font is alright.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 am

Well now that you've changed the E's and I look very closely I see... A practically identical font as Comic Sans, but as you've said you will be tweaking it...
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:21 am

On the subject of colour: STFU Dan, it's perfect. Keep it. If you want more out of it, you're being unrealistic.

Also, why are you relying on people's opinions for a decision about the font, but ignoring our opinions when it comes to colour? The colour's something I actually care about, so I'm more than a little irritated by the double standard.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:57 am

CidGregor wrote:This is more in response to the news post overall, so:

I disagree.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mandros on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:13 am

Illusionist wrote:On the subject of colour: STFU Dan, it's perfect. Keep it. If you want more out of it, you're being unrealistic.

I'm sure he can keep up the perfection with gray-scale. After all color is not what i like the most. It's the art style, which stands out more in gray-scale then it dose in color.
Named Most likely to tell his/her grand kids about Mayhem.

working on an RP

a friend of mine just got his own web site here (Still under construction)

yes im a brony
mandros
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:14 am

He can't keep up the perfection with greyscale, because greyscale is an imperfect medium.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:12 am

The font and color issues are two entirely different things. I want opinions on the font because I need feedback to make it a better, usable font. The critique is necessary.

The coloring issue is nothing like that. It has to do with time, schedule, personal satisfaction, printing costs, etc. I am considering the possibility that if I continue to color EGS, I won't have time for much of anything else. If I change my mind later and get faster at coloring, it's not like I won't be able to bring color back retroactivly.

In short, it's not a double standard. It's a completely different issue.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 am

I still say that if you're unhappy with how the colouring looks you need to shut up and stop being so hard on yourself. It looks good. In fact, it looks a damn sight better than greyscale.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 am

I agree with (apparently) most that I prefer the comics colored, but if it takes (pulls number of thin air) twice as long to produce a colored strip, obviously you have to trade off. And I did notice your reference to "printing costs", which would imply another dead trees edition at some point.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CidGregor on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:06 am

DarkShive wrote:The coloring issue is nothing like that. It has to do with time, schedule, personal satisfaction, printing costs, etc. I am considering the possibility that if I continue to color EGS, I won't have time for much of anything else. If I change my mind later and get faster at coloring, it's not like I won't be able to bring color back retroactivly.

This confuses me. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I could swear that back when you first made the switch to color you said that coloring was actually easier and less time-consuming than doing all the shadowing required of greyscale. How is going back to that going to save you time?
"Nice guys finish last......but only because we have farther to go." - Lord Belgarion

"Lesbians are Neato!" - Tedd Verres

My EGS Fanfiction:
Twin Envy, ALTERNATE ENDING ADDED APRIL 23RD '08!
Basic Instinct, COMPLETED AUGUST 1ST '08!
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:07 am

Unless he's planning on doing greyscale with simple shading, which will be quick but look bad. Not comparatively bad, just plain bad.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive