Font Opinions

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: Font Opinions

Postby nitpicking on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:09 pm

As for using the font in Illustrator: in an earlier phase of my career, I designed a custom TrueType font using a fairly inexpensive package called FontMonger. (It was a convenient way to have scalable clip art of my company's logos that would work in any program with anti-aliasing.) If I can do it, I guarantee Dan can do it.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:45 am

DarkShive wrote:I don't enjoy working in color with comics. There'll be one or two panels I'm looking forward to having in color, and the rest will drive me nuts. I don't like deciding on the color for a prop or background just to feel stuck with that decision later. It's something I hope to get better with in time, but for now, it's a source of frustration that eats up a considerable amount of my time.

That reminds me. Didn't you once say that doing comics in colour would make some future plot point a lot easier to explain? What happened to that? Or have we passed it without noticing?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tybalt on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:54 am

I can't get a thing from DeviantArt (does one need an account to see anything on this damn site ?), but whatever : in this post I'll be dealing with coloring only.

First and important point : while reading the archive I saw several steps back and forth, fom B&W to color and back, and it didn't really bother me. The most important thing is, the comic has to go on. If there's color, that's a plus, but it must not become annoying for you. The important thing is to share a story and have fun doing it.

DarkShive wrote:I hate the old grey scale look, or rather, I hate working with it. (...) I don't enjoy working in color with comics.

I do understand how you feel, but I've just got to mention that both did look great :)

DarkShive wrote:I don't like deciding on the color for a prop or background just to feel stuck with that decision later.

When I read the archive for the first time and then re-read some parts (Grace's transgender party for instance), I realized that even if colored comics do look great, very professional and all, greyscale has the big advantage of being more suggestive. I don't know how to put it clearly. It's like I unconsciously colored the strips myself while reading them in greyscale, and the result in my mind is much better colored and shaded than it could be on the paper. In short, I think that greyscale comics are not a "step back" from color. They just provide something completely different.

There'll be one or two panels I'm looking forward to having in color, and the rest will drive me nuts.

If so, just do most of the panels in B&W and then use color only when you're looking forward to do so. You can also use color to convey some special atmosphere to a panel when you think it's necessary for narrative reasons. You've done that before, after all.

I mentioned publishing before. I need to consider that A) I do want to publish more books, and B) it is considerably more expensive to do so in color. I'm not talking a little bit more, either. I'm talking a LOT more, as in "I'm not making a profit at all unless I sell them at $20+ and have half the pages per volume" more.

*squeeeeees !!*
More publishing ! More publishing ! Yeep ! yeep !
*awkward cough*
Yeah, good idea.
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 am

I think b&w like in the recent NP will look better than greyscale. What you did with greyscale in the past was quite impressive, but I often felt in the back of my mind that the world was supposed to be in color, but we were only seeing hints of that color. When a comic is pure b&w, I have an easier time either coloring it in my head or ignoring the question of color all-together.

Your line-art these days is great, so I'll still enjoy looking at the art even without color. However, I'm still disappointed with color going on indefinite hiatus again. (On the other hand, better just the color go on hiatus than the entire comic!)
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SQRT(-2) on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:07 pm

The font is easy to read, and just fine. Some comics try to use expressive fonts, at expense of read-ability. I think that is a mistake, I can't enjoy the comic if I have to decode the text.

Your color is nice. You may not think so, but it is. We are always hardest on our own work. But clean B&W comics would be great too.

Good B&W comic with frequent updates >>> Amazing high quality color comics with rare updates.
"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal." "And Ted Verres made them girls."
SQRT(-2)
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:08 pm

SQRT(-2) wrote:The font is easy to read, and just fine. Some comics try to use expressive fonts, at expense of read-ability. I think that is a mistake, I can't enjoy the comic if I have to decode the text.

You don't read Vinci and Arty do you?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Illusionist wrote:
SQRT(-2) wrote:The font is easy to read, and just fine. Some comics try to use expressive fonts, at expense of read-ability. I think that is a mistake, I can't enjoy the comic if I have to decode the text.

I don't... but I can read some Celtic runes.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SQRT(-2) on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Illusionist wrote:

I looked those fonts up.

Can you issue a warrant for "Crimes against Communication"?
"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal." "And Ted Verres made them girls."
SQRT(-2)
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Haylo on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Would it be possible for the comic to be in black and white but with occasional “Cover Pages” in color?

Reading the archives, the effect would be that the reader would “know” what colors characters’ hair and skin were, having been reminded at the beginning of major arcs by the Cover.

Just in case I’ve gone too long without reminding everyone, I enjoy all the artistic styles in EGS, and short of a switch to invisible ink I expect to enjoy whatever comes next.

P.S. Does anyone know Mr. Shive’s opinion on thumbnails for linking to comics? Yes, No, or Only-if-smaller-than (insert size here)?
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Haylo wrote:P.S. Does anyone know Mr. Shive’s opinion on thumbnails for linking to comics? Yes, No, or Only-if-smaller-than (insert size here)?

IIRC he much prefers linking to the webpage of the comic rather than linking the strip itself in any way.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby B.T. Isaac on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Well, if the style must change, it must change. But I think it's better if it's done after the end of the current arc at least. A full color book may be a lot more expensive, but having half of it in color and suddenly switching to BnW looks plain ridiculous.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 am

If you manage to get back up to 3 days a week, you could do Tuesday and Thursday in Black and White, then Saturday in color.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 am

B.T. Isaac wrote:...But I think it's better if it's done after the end of the current arc at least.

Part of me would like to do that. The other part of me believes this arc won't be complete until sometime in 2011 if I insist on doing that (assuming I finished it at all), and that I've already abandoned uniformity when I added the extra shading.

There's also the all important fact that I can add color later on if I'm so inclined.

Believe me, I'm big on keeping things uniform like that. This will drive me nuts. Continuing to do the comic in color, however, will ALSO drive me nuts. I'm going with the madness that should result in more frequent updates and enjoyment of creation.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby B.T. Isaac on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 pm

tricia wrote:If you manage to get back up to 3 days a week, you could do Tuesday and Thursday in Black and White, then Saturday in color.

That wouldn't make much sense, unless he's doing at least 5 comics a week, with one in weekend format, in color and double size while the rest are normal sized and BnW or Grayscale.

DarkShive wrote:Part of me would like to do that. The other part of me believes this arc won't be complete until sometime in 2011 if I insist on doing that (assuming I finished it at all), and that I've already abandoned uniformity when I added the extra shading.

There's also the all important fact that I can add color later on if I'm so inclined.

Believe me, I'm big on keeping things uniform like that. This will drive me nuts. Continuing to do the comic in color, however, will ALSO drive me nuts. I'm going with the madness that should result in more frequent updates and enjoyment of creation.

The shading was a subtle change. I made more radical changes when I switched my lineart from black vector lines to uninked sketches. which by the way, may not have been a very good decision.
But if I recall correctly, wasn't the extra shading responsible for the lags around the time you switched to portrait format? Maybe you could try abandoning the extra shading first and see what happens for the next two weeks. If things don't improve switch to BnW, then add color later, when there's no push. I'd recommend asking volunteers for doing the colors, but if my memory serves me well, that's not a good recommendation.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haylo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Raging Mouse wrote:
Haylo wrote:P.S. Does anyone know Mr. Shive’s opinion on thumbnails for linking to comics? Yes, No, or Only-if-smaller-than (insert size here)?

IIRC he much prefers linking to the webpage of the comic rather than linking the strip itself in any way.

I should have been more specific. The thumbnails would link to the entire page, but would show a (tiny) version of only the comic.
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 am

I don't think that scenario has ever been addressed.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Althor Enchantor on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm... really more concerned at present about Dan's mental health.

...okay, that came out wrong. What I meant to say is a lot of his news posts seem to point to a moderate case of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I mean, the recent bouts of perfectionism with regards to the font and the coloring is hardly grounds for diagnosis, but I recall an old news post where he mentioned having trouble sleeping because he was afraid he'd left the faucet running. That's a bit more textbook.

Has this ever been brought up before?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Althor Enchantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ineluki on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:21 am

Yes, it sure has been brought up before. It's fairly easy to pick up sometimes. However, there's no need in trying to confront Dan since he built a mental wall in that direction towards us (the fans). Pretty much impossible to get through.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am

If you were a graphic design student at a college where the head of the department regularly bashed comic sans and 90% of the students would agree, you'd be interested in changing things up, too. In addition, there are technical reasons having to do with Adobe and the fact that I was using a faux bold version of the font that isn't supported in most modern programs. Changing the font and taking out the color has reduced the number of programs used to make the comic to two; Illustrator and Photoshop, and Photoshop's only there to make the non-vector versions for print and web. It looks better and the entire creation process is less convoluted and buggy (there were some MAJOR bugs at times importing the artwork to Flash MX 2004).

That's not to say I don't have anxiety issues and am possibly obsessive compulsive; it's just that the font change had a lot of good reasons for it that aren't dismissed as easily as "Dan has issues". In addition, the creation of fonts is a possible future source of revenue. The license I bought for the font creation software I use allows me to legally sell and distribute my creations. I plan to hang on to this one for myself, however.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Ineluki on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:38 am

90% of the students hate Comic Sans?
Well, I'd love to say that's stupid but I myself get up in arms when somebody would force me to read Times New Roman on a screen, so I better shut up. :>
I don't think the font thing is an issue, actually... not being content with quality of the coloring, struck me as much more... unfounded. Emphasis on quality. The other arguments are very much rational.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive