[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/20/02] Grace's Nightmare

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/20/02] Grace's Nightmare

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:15 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020520.html

Poor Grace :( She really is good at playing the part of the Woobie, isn't she?

Anyway, I wonder where exactly the words of her nightmare originated from. Was it Damien who said those things, or was it the scientists who raised her? I personally think it was the scientists. Sure, Damian was evil, but seeing how he saw himself as a prophesied savior-god for the chimera I don't think he would then call them mere beasts and worthless, as they were in part (in theory at least) the reason for his actions. I could see him using "human" as an insult, but not "not human... just a beast...". The scientists on the other hand may have had an easier time justifying their actions if they saw their assassins less then humans and may have tried to get Grace to follow orders by demolishing her sense of self-worth.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/20/02] Grace's Nightmare

Postby Youwillneverknow on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:03 pm

of course if you think about it she has a least one father and one mother plus two of indiscriminate gender, plus three brothers, and since she was built to stop damian, she must have a future so the insults on the first panel don't make any sense. I have to admit this is one of my favorite comic, the night terrors are just done so vividly, her hair is just perfect

In regards to Tedd's glasses, he should have brought them, they would have enhanced his night vision
Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 pm

I don't think those were said so much for accuracy. Still from a view point they may be seen as correct: she doesn't have any family as we would normally recognize it and I think as far as she knows at this point she was just conceived and born a tube; while she may have had a past in the "stuff happened one after the other" sense she was deprived of a normal childhood, instead being raised by most of the people in the lab as a weapon, and given her having a few childish pastimes such as tea parties I think that she really had wanted one; and her only future for much of her life was one where she had no decisions or life of her own, only "go where we tell you and kill this person", later replaced by Damien with "do what I tell you or you'll get beaten". I don't think those words would affect Grace so much if she didn't think, at some level at least, that they were true.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 pm

I thought that these words came from Grace herself and not other people. Individuals can be their own worst critics. While sleeping, subconscious worries, fears, self-doubts, etc. can present themselves uninhibited. I feel that this describes how she feels about herself and that her cheerful personality while awake is either a form of denial (refusing to face her fears) or putting on a brave face (others need not worry over a worthless beast like me).
Last edited by SleepyOrigami on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Yeah, that's also a pretty good possibility. Either way though seeing her like that makes me curse the inability to give fictional characters a hug.

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haylo on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:50 am

Chaos Priest wrote:Yeah, that's also a pretty good possibility. Either way though seeing her like that makes me curse the inability to give fictional characters a hug.
We may not be able too, but we see someone heading for her that is in the comic and can reach her. (Guess who my second favorite character is, and why.)
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 am

You know, "No brother, no sister" always bugged me. I get the other stuff, but mentioning siblings just seems out of place when so many people are only children.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ForkBomb on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am

I would guess they came from Damien. You have to break them before you get to reshape them them to your will.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:31 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Forget her body - this girl has self-esteem issues period!

Also, Tedd forgot his glasses. Judging from my own experience, this shouldn't matter too much unless he has to read something (whether it would be something near or far that would be the problem would depend on what kind of eye problems he has, of course).

Also, since I'm only without glasses (in human form) when going to bed or getting up, I tend to associate my natural blurry vision with being sleepy; considering Tedd was in a rush I doubt that will be a problem.

== Jan, 2009 ==

Crystal: Regarding the glasses: My past self only thought about all that because he was doing a review; in the original timeline I remember not giving the fact that Tedd didn't wear his glasses much thought.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 2-5-9 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:43 am

ChronosCat wrote:Also, Tedd forgot his glasses. Judging from my own experience, this shouldn't matter too much unless he has to read something (whether it would be something near or far that would be the problem would depend on what kind of eye problems he has, of course).

I can't see anything clearly when I'm not wearing glasses or using contacts. I don't think it's like that for everyone or something, but depending on how little he pretends to be able to see, it might be a problem. Just saying.
2-5-9
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ineluki on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:14 am

Eh, who needs vision anyway to navigate in his own house? :)
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 am

Depends how messy the house is, and how good your memory is.

I could walk through my living room in the dark safely, but my bedroom is another matter.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:59 am

I couldn't make it through my living room in the dark. I'd either bang my foot/leg on a table or chair, or I'd trip or stumble on something and wind up either banging my knees or faceplanting. I might make it if it was light without my glasses if the room wasn't that cluttered, but an extra chair or two set out for company, a misplaced wieght, or that stupid dog getting underfoot again and I'd probably be hurting.

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:01 am

Ooh, forgot about my dogs. OK, I could get through my living room without any harm to me, but I might step on a tail.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tarvok on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:03 pm

For those who are saying her complaints have no merit:

* No family, no father, no mother, no brother, no sister: She certainly never knew her "mother". She did know someone she considered her "father", but he's dead. As to brothers and sisters: she has brothers out there somewhere, but so far as she knows, she'll never see them again. They're not exactly friendly at this stage, anyway. Everyone she knows as family is either an enemy, or dead.

* No past, no future: Everybody technically has a past and a future. What she probably means by this is, she can tell nobody about her past. She certainly can't allow it to show up on any official documents, such as applications for education, employment, marriage license, drivers license... you get the picture. She has nothing in her past she can claim as present possession. Her very life must remain a secret.

As to her future, she's like an undocumented alien, times ten. I once knew someone whose family had brought her to this country when she was a little girl. They were unable to achieve resident status, let alone citizen. Lax enforcement, however, ensured they were able to build some sort of life (her father actually owned a small business), but she regarded her undocumented status as a barrier to any sort of life other than that of an exploited illegal alien. She was highly resentful of this fact, and hated her father from taking her from a place she could have enjoyed the benefits of citizenship. Grace's situation is ten times worse, so far as she knows. At this point in the story, Mr. Verre's amazing proficiency at establishing perfectly normal identities for totally abnormal people has yet to be established.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 am

I think it was only during painted black that she found out what's-his-name was her father. So right now, no father she knows off.

Also, vald is a half-brother (or less) due to (probably) the same uyrom parent. The other two are totally unrelated.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:55 am

ForkBomb wrote:I think it was only during painted black that she found out what's-his-name was her father. So right now, no father she knows off.

Also, vald is a half-brother (or less) due to (probably) the same uyrom parent. The other two are totally unrelated.

Yeah, although for all we know Dr. Sciuridae has additional fully-human children. Just because he only mentioned Grace doesn't mean he can't have others.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40 am

ForkBomb wrote:Also, vald is a half-brother (or less) due to (probably) the same uyrom parent. The other two are totally unrelated.

Of course she doesn't know that Vlad is her "half-brother" yet. As far as she knows, she and her "siblings" were all created in test-tubes from unrelated DNA.

It is interesting though that in her dream she doesn't think of them as siblings, but when awake she does refer to them as siblings. It would seem she's unsure what to think of them.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Ineluki wrote:Eh, who needs vision anyway to navigate in his own house? :)

As long as there no recent redecorating or a big mess that I don't know of, I've never had much trouble. Even if there's clutter, as long as I know that it's in a room I can generally avoid it by moving cautiously, even if I don't know where exactly it is.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 am

Ineluki wrote:Eh, who needs vision anyway to navigate in his own house? :)

Doing that sort of thing as a little girl, I developed really good night vision, and learned that humans can do some kinda passive sonar thing. So as long as everything's all relatively large and solid, I can navigate an unknown room in complete darkness without even touching the furniture :J
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Huzzah for being night people!!!
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby DemonicAngel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 am

My night vision's weird...I started off like a normal person, seeing just muted colours at night, but still being able to distinguish them. About 3-4 years ago, however...I gained greyscale nightvision - I see entirely in shades of gray, with no colour at all. Still dark though...just no colour. It's weird.
DemonicAngela - Gender changed bunny
Warning: Read this, and lose the game.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:34 am

Depending on how dark you mean, no one can see colors at night. The cone cells (color-perceiving receptors in the retina) don't work in low-light conditions.

I suspect you could never perceive color in the dark, but were instead under the fairly common illusion that you could.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DemonicAngel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:21 am

I mean dark as in a random backstreet, with working lampposts. The nearest I can come to describing it is that film...you know, all in black n white, with coloured lights? I've never seen it, but I'm told that's what I'm describing.
DemonicAngela - Gender changed bunny
Warning: Read this, and lose the game.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to El Goonish Shive