[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/10/02] The trauma of form-lock

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/10/02] The trauma of form-lock

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:03 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020510.html

Wow, Grace seems pretty desperate in the 3rd panel. I wonder if being trapped in a body you don't recognize as your own would be worse or better for a shapeshifter than a normal person? Either way it would absolutely suck, but I wonder if the loss of the ability to change would feel like losing a part of themselves, or if having taken on other forms before would make it easier on them. Still, it looks like Grace is not happy with the prospect. And to think she was planning on doing it to her brothers, and with forms that would be relatively weak at that...

Anyway, I wonder if this situation seems a bit familiar to Tedd. Only, ya know, with a little bit more fur and a lot less meowing.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/10/02] The trauma of form-lock

Postby tmp on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:10 pm

I suspect it's a lot like suddenly losing use of your hand, where everything is still there, but no matter how hard you will it, your fingers just don't respond. When it goes on long enough, you could get this creeping worry that even if you do technically get use back, you'll have forgotten how.
tmp
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SleepyOrigami on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 am

tmp wrote:I suspect it's a lot like suddenly losing use of your hand, where everything is still there, but no matter how hard you will it, your fingers just don't respond. When it goes on long enough, you could get this creeping worry that even if you do technically get use back, you'll have forgotten how.

:o This hits too close to home for me. I experience episodes of sleep paralysis, and this "creeping worry" as you call it can quickly turns into a consuming terror that can last for days. I feel that it is the very rapid realization that one is utterly powerless to do just about anything to "correct" their predicament coupled with the fear of its potential permanence.

There seems to be no time for her to process what has happened. So I can see why Grace is more than a little worried as the reality starts to sink into her mind. Full panic is most likely staved off temporarily here by the hope the TFG represents. I feel her idea to capture her brothers is far crueler than she might have expected. Well it may be cruel, but it is no Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. Now that is a condition that just seems way too cruel to be real.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:54 am

Tedd's response to this situation has always struck me as odd. It seems he is either being unneccessarily cruel or unneccessarily melodramatic, neither of which are things I could picture Tedd doing, especially in light of the situation at hand.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Melvar on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:56 pm

Nightranger wrote:Tedd's response to this situation has always struck me as odd. It seems he is either being unneccessarily cruel or unneccessarily melodramatic, neither of which are things I could picture Tedd doing, especially in light of the situation at hand.
I think it's because he knows more than he lets on. After all, he knows the effects on other shapeshifters (Will and Gill).
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Prior to the explanation final panel, this strip is creepy. Heck, Tedd looks creepy in the final panel - this entire strip is creepy!

== Dec 26, 2008 - 10:40 PM ==

Crystal: *hums quietly to herself* Hmm, hmm, hmm... Point-less!

*Crystal from 10:50 PM suddenly appears.*

10:50 Crystal: Actually, it isn't entirely pointless. I was looking over the next strip again, and it goes into how Grace activates her transformations.

10:40 Crystal: Oh. That's still not much of a point, though.

10:50 Crystal: Well, no, but its better than no point at all. *shrugs* Well, that's all I wanted to say, so I'll be going. *vanishes*

== Dec 26, 2008 - 10:50 PM ==

*Crystal appears, and sees another version of herself still in the room.*

Newly-arrived-Crystal: Hey, what are you still doing here?! You have to go let our past self know the "try harder" sidetrack isn't totally pointless!

Still-there-Crystal: Oh, right. *Vanishes*

== Dec 26, 2008 - 10:55 PM ==

*Crystal finishes typing up this sequence of events, and finally posts it.*
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 pm

SleepyOrigami wrote: :o This hits too close to home for me. I experience episodes of sleep paralysis, and this "creeping worry" as you call it can quickly turns into a consuming terror that can last for days. I feel that it is the very rapid realization that one is utterly powerless to do just about anything to "correct" their predicament coupled with the fear of its potential permanence.

I've only experienced sleep paralysis a couple of times, but it was scary before I knew what it was. Especially when the first time was only a few weeks after my father's stroke.

The second time, I did know, and I was more fascinated than anything else. Oliver Sacks (a neurologist) has written some fascinating stuff about this and many other topics.

From your nickname: you aren't by any chance narcoleptic? I know a couple of people with narcolepsy.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Melvar wrote:
Nightranger wrote:Tedd's response to this situation has always struck me as odd. It seems he is either being unneccessarily cruel or unneccessarily melodramatic, neither of which are things I could picture Tedd doing, especially in light of the situation at hand.
I think it's because he knows more than he lets on. After all, he knows the effects on other shapeshifters (Will and Gill).

Whether he just had a theory or if he knew that she'd be able to change back doens't matter. He could have simply said something like: "First, why don't you try changing back on your own again, just to be sure." And then go the next comic's conversation. Yet even when Grace starts worrying/panicing, he actually seems to take a harsher tone.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haylo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:54 am

Nightranger wrote:Whether he just had a theory or if he knew that she'd be able to change back doesn’t matter. He could have simply said something like: "First, why don't you try changing back on your own again, just to be sure." And then go the next comic's conversation. Yet even when Grace starts worrying/panicking, he actually seems to take a harsher tone.

I get a mental image of a drill sergeant yelling, “You think those assassins following you are going to just sit there and beg for help? They’re going to try everything they can to shift back, so you are going to try everything you can to shift back. Now put some muscle into it!”
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:58 am

How is Tedd being overly cruel/dramatic?

Grace: Request.
Tedd: Refusal to comply with request.
Grace: Demand for explanation of refusal.
Tedd: Explanation of refusal.

Seems OK to me.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby tmp on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:43 pm

SleepyOrigami wrote:
tmp wrote:I suspect it's a lot like suddenly losing use of your hand, where everything is still there, but no matter how hard you will it, your fingers just don't respond. When it goes on long enough, you could get this creeping worry that even if you do technically get use back, you'll have forgotten how.

:o This hits too close to home for me. I experience episodes of sleep paralysis, and this "creeping worry" as you call it can quickly turns into a consuming terror that can last for days. I feel that it is the very rapid realization that one is utterly powerless to do just about anything to "correct" their predicament coupled with the fear of its potential permanence.

Sorry, it's been four months since I've been able to move my fingers in one hand, so I suppose it's settled down to "creeping worry" in my case. When it initially happened though, I had other things to deal with that kept me from doing anything other than notice that I couldn't move various parts. I guess since it was something I had to "worry about later" it didn't hit as hard as it might have. I apologize for dredging it up.

SleepyOrigami wrote:There seems to be no time for her to process what has happened. So I can see why Grace is more than a little worried as the reality starts to sink into her mind. Full panic is most likely staved off temporarily here by the hope the TFG represents.

And then Tedd goes and says something that discourages her hope. At least he got to the explanation before she did panic. When some medication had the side effect of dropping me in a pool of Nightmare Fuel Unleaded and lighting it, I manage to stave off panic by focusing on an apparent way out. Unfortunately, the orderlies didn't knock me out before panic did hit, so I, for one, appreciate seeing Tedd be quick to compensate for his poor choice of words.
tmp
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to El Goonish Shive