Tripping over the red carpet

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: Tripping over the red carpet

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:20 am

Where in Europe? EU or not?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 am

nitpicking wrote:In one European case I remember, a man charged a woman with rape for performing oral sex on him while he was drunk, and won.

Illusionist wrote:Where in Europe? EU or not?

Norway.
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/Bizarre-4611.html
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aeg'air on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:27 am

Strange woman....
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:33 am

Just 8 months? I'm sorry, what? Surely a rapist deserves two or three years, at least. You know, seeing as it's rape and all.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am

Illusionist wrote:Just 8 months? I'm sorry, what? Surely a rapist deserves two or three years, at least. You know, seeing as it's rape and all.

It's a strange situation. Politics gets in the way you see, if they put her in jail then they get hate mail. If they don't they get hate mail. It's a compromise.
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 am

Yes, let's allow any criminal who might get publicity to go free, in case we get hate mail! Good publicity is far more important than doing the right thing, and ensuring that justice is served!

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 am

That's the way thelaw works...
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Did you read the linked article? The assumption was explicitly made, by the prosecutor, that forcing sex on a man isn't as bad a crime as doing it to a woman.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aeg'air on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:17 pm

I would say that depends on the situation.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:48 am

nitpicking wrote:Did you read the linked article? The assumption was explicitly made, by the prosecutor, that forcing sex on a man isn't as bad a crime as doing it to a woman.

? "The prosecution argued...that the defendant should not be treated leniently because she is a woman."

Apparently, the prosecutor made no such assumption.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 am

Illusionist wrote:
nitpicking wrote:Did you read the linked article? The assumption was explicitly made, by the prosecutor, that forcing sex on a man isn't as bad a crime as doing it to a woman.

? "The prosecution argued...that the defendant should not be treated leniently because she is a woman."

Apparently, the prosecutor made no such assumption.

I read the original coverage at the time, and it was clear enough to remain in my skull. it's also right there between the lines of what you quoted.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:54 am

No. What's between the lines is "I expect you might treat her leniently, so I'm warning you not to."

If you saw the original coverage, maybe there's something I'm missing but there's nothing in the article that was linked to to back up your claim.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ForkBomb on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:14 pm

I think its also that oral isn't as serious as proper sex.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tuitsuro on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:53 pm

"You know, legally, nothing I can do counts as sex anymore."
- Former President Bill Clinton's head (Futurama ftw!)
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BinaryWraith on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:58 pm

ForkBomb wrote:I think its also that oral isn't as serious as proper sex.

Oral sex is just that. Sex. From a criminal standpoint (in most jurisdictions, your mileage may vary) sex is sex, no matter the orifice. 'It was just head!' is not a mitigating circumstance.
You never saw me. I was never here.
BinaryWraith
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:53 am

Note that in the base system, head is before actual fornication. Most people see it as being the second most serious thing a couple can do. So while they may be equal for the purposes of the law, it's possible the Judge's views on the matter make head seem less serious.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ForkBomb on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 pm

BinaryWraith wrote:Oral sex is just that. Sex. From a criminal standpoint (in most jurisdictions, your mileage may vary) sex is sex, no matter the orifice. 'It was just head!' is not a mitigating circumstance.

And theft is theft, no matter if its something worth £20 or the crown jewels. Doesn't mean the punishment will be the same.
The law has a range of available sentences for a reason, it up to the judge to decide how severe the crime was. Doesn't mean he was right though.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive