[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/8/02] Or... what?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/8/02] Or... what?

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:29 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020508.html

Seriously, what else was Tedd afraid of? Having it just not work wouldn't be that bad of a consequence. Maybe he was afraid it would override one of Grace's natural forms or something so she could be a squirrel-girl or a cat-girl, but not a human. Or possibly that all of her forms would be part kitty. Although come to think of it he's already done at least some testing on Will and Gill before this so he shouldn't have been that worried about it's effects on shapeshifters. Of course, the background of the TFG hasn't been established yet so their involvement and Tedd's reason for having the gun in the first place probably weren't thought of yet.

Well whatever was going on in Tedd's mind, Grace was definitely a bad kitty for performing a dangerous experiment like that. The question then is what's the best way to punish a naughty cat-girl, spray her with water or give her a spanking :wink:
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/8/02] Or... what?

Postby Haylo on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Chaos Priest wrote: <snip/> Well whatever was going on in Tedd's mind, Grace was definitely a bad kitty for performing a dangerous experiment like that. The question then is what's the best way to punish a naughty cat-girl, spray her with water or give her a spanking :wink:

When training cats, punishment doesn’t work well since they don’t have the socialization instincts that keep them coming back even after being punished. Instead, you interrupt the training so they cannot earn a reward. (You are remembering to reward them with something a cat likes, aren’t you?)

In this case the reward is Tedd; so he needs to step out of the room for fifteen or twenty minutes whenever Grace does something unnecessarily dangerous. When she does remember her safety precautions, make sure she gets plenty of Tedd to encourage her.
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChibiCarrera on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Well whatever was going on in Tedd's mind, Grace was definitely a bad kitty for performing a dangerous experiment like that. The question then is what's the best way to punish a naughty cat-girl, spray her with water or give her a spanking :wink:

*Pulls out hammer* :evil:
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:09 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Guess she was really impatient to be a catgirl.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:50 pm

It appear that one can be in direct contact with someone who is being transformed without also changing or other ill effects. This makes me wonder, what exactly is the range of the TFG? Fire it randomly in the air and sooner or later it will cross paths with an alien in a galaxy far far away (provided it hits no debris)? Can it only do one transformation at a time? These questions also apply to Ellen's beam.

Prediction: In the future, Tedd will perfect a multi-targeting system for group effects.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Melvar on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Somewhere, it was thought that there are two beams: a reading beam to scan the target, and an actual TF beam to do the actual work. If this is true, firing randomly far away has no effect because the reading beam is not reflected back to the gun/hand in time unless it stands perfectly still (impossible in this dynamic universe). Add gravity distortion and even a direct beam is likely to lose its potency before it hits.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Nightranger on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:33 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Seriously, what else was Tedd afraid of? Having it just not work wouldn't be that bad of a consequence. Maybe he was afraid it would override one of Grace's natural forms or something so she could be a squirrel-girl or a cat-girl, but not a human. Or possibly that all of her forms would be part kitty.[/url]
I actually liked this bit of characterization: it shows that--while he may be a mad scientist--he has enough knowledge of sound experimental procedure to not just rush into anything when he doesn't know what might happen. Think of it like not wanting to just start mixing unknown chemicals haphazardly.

Chaos Priest wrote:Although come to think of it he's already done at least some testing on Will and Gill before this so he shouldn't have been that worried about it's effects on shapeshifters. Of course, the background of the TFG hasn't been established yet so their involvement and Tedd's reason for having the gun in the first place probably weren't thought of yet.

That, and at this point Tedd has no idea that Grace's ability is even remotely similar to uryuom shape-shifting.

{edit: fixed a typo}
Last edited by Nightranger on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:22 am

We actually don't know what Tedd knew at this point. He certainly didn't know everything, but if only because he speaks Uryuom, he has to know the meaning of the word "Seyunolu", for instance.

(Yes, knowing the language would force him to know a great deal of alien history and science. Don't think about it!)
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive