We bunnies can also do filler

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

We bunnies can also do filler

Postby nitpicking on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Since there won't be story comics for a while, I started this topic for random thoughts about EGS to fill the time.

For starters: Anime-Style Martial Arts feats are magic. Therefore, at the moment neither Elliot nor Ellen can learn any new ones, until they deal with the "weird awakening" phenomenon. On the other hand, their raised energy levels may make them incredibly powerful with their existing abilities.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: We bunnies can also do filler

Postby Youwillneverknow on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:57 pm

nitpicking wrote:Since there won't be story comics for a while, I started this topic for random thoughts about EGS to fill the time.

For starters: Anime-Style Martial Arts feats are magic. Therefore, at the moment neither Elliot nor Ellen can learn any new ones, until they deal with the "weird awakening" phenomenon. On the other hand, their raised energy levels may make them incredibly powerful with their existing abilities.

that also implies the Sensai Greg has magic powers as well, I think I would like to see that
Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby nitpicking on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:47 am

Youwillneverknow wrote:
nitpicking wrote:Since there won't be story comics for a while, I started this topic for random thoughts about EGS to fill the time.

that also implies the Sensai Greg has magic powers as well, I think I would like to see that

Implies? It was explicitly stated in Q&A #3.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 am

nitpicking wrote:
Youwillneverknow wrote:

Where does it state that Sensai Greg has magical powers? It shows a picture of him to represent training but nowhere does it say 'Sensai Greg has magical powers'.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChibiCarrera on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Aeg'air wrote:
nitpicking wrote:
Youwillneverknow wrote:

Where does it state that Sensai Greg has magical powers? It shows a picture of him to represent training but nowhere does it say 'Sensai Greg has magical powers'.

He does have spirtual energy. Here
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Aeg'air wrote:Where does it state that Sensai Greg has magical powers? It shows a picture of him to represent training but nowhere does it say 'Sensai Greg has magical powers'.

I'm not sure why you're arguing. We know that ASMA stuff is magical because Mr. Verres says so. Greg is shown on a whole page of magic users. Why are you inexplicably (I guess that's an oxymoron) arguing that he nonetheless isn't using magic?
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 pm

nitpicking wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:Where does it state that Sensai Greg has magical powers? It shows a picture of him to represent training but nowhere does it say 'Sensai Greg has magical powers'.

I'm not sure why you're arguing. We know that ASMA stuff is magical because Mr. Verres says so. Greg is shown on a whole page of magic users. Why are you inexplicably (I guess that's an oxymoron) arguing that he nonetheless isn't using magic?

Uh, Aeg'air isn't arguing that Sensei Greg isn't using magic, just that that comic didn't explicitly state so. It did strongly imply it, but Mr. Verres was the first to state per se that ASMA is magic.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Acriaos on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Actually I don't think this was really supposed to be Greg on the comic, but instead this guy here: http://egscomics.com/egsnp/d/20050625.html Of course those two look identical, but the difference is, that Greg can't teach magic, while the guy from the EGS NP can. Yes, Greg has power that qualifies as magic, but the comic from Nitpicking:
nitpicking wrote:Implies? It was explicitly stated in Q&A #3.
is no proof for that, because Greg isn't even necessarily on that page ^^
Acriaos
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nocturn on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:00 am

Sensei Greg is as right as a man who believes that gnomes steal his thoughts is when he says that 2 + 2 = 4. That is to say, Greg is flat-out insane and was just accidentally right that his "anime style martial arts" can work due to the coincidental presence of magic.

In other words:
Verres = man of authority, he knows his stuff.
Greg = insane guy, only trust him as far as you can throw him.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:18 am

He's not crazy this comic proves it http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020720.html. He's making perfect sense!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:00 am

I'll pretend to be amused later when I have more time, if you don't mind.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:30 am

I'm amazed I can be amused considering how messed up I am. If you want to pretend later be my guest.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Free Radical on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 pm

nitpicking wrote:For starters: Anime-Style Martial Arts feats are magic. Therefore, at the moment neither Elliot nor Ellen can learn any new ones, until they deal with the "weird awakening" phenomenon.

I'm not sure that's the case. Any new magic they get from levelling up (or however that works) is supposed to be related to their unusual awakenings, but there doesn't seem to be any particular barrier to Greg teaching them a new technique.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Daremo on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:09 pm

I'd like everyone, and/or Dan,to coin a different term than 'magic' for the energy that powers reality bending in the EGS verse. To me, it seems like magic is a specific expression of this energy, with chi, shapeshifting, and mad science being others. When people use 'magic' for everything it feels like they're describing planes, trains, submarines, and bicycles all as being 'cars', because a word for 'vehicles' doesn't exist.

I'd suggest 'Realt Energy' (from reality altering), or perhaps 'Thaumic Energy' (from thaumaturgic, or thaumaturgy n. 1. The act or art of performing something wonderful; magic; legerdemain.). Preternal Energy(from preternatural: adj. 1. Greatly exceeding or departing from the normal course of nature.) and Bellisario Radiation (from Bellisario's Maxim: Don't examine this too closely.) might work as well.
"Maybe he's wise."
"He don't look wise."

Daremo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.

Postby nitpicking on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Acriaos wrote:Actually I don't think this was really supposed to be Greg on the comic, but instead this guy here: http://egscomics.com/egsnp/d/20050625.html Of course those two look identical, but the difference is, that Greg can't teach magic, while the guy from the EGS NP can. Yes, Greg has power that qualifies as magic, but the comic from Nitpicking:
nitpicking wrote:Implies? It was explicitly stated in Q&A #3.
is no proof for that, because Greg isn't even necessarily on that page ^^

You know, you're right. It never even occurred to me that the guy in that panel might be the trainer from "Dan in the MUD". Because he shouldn't be, since that's a totally different story that has nothing to do with the EGSverse. You're right, but I think my confusion was understandable.

Free Radical wrote:I'm not sure that's the case. Any new magic they get from levelling up (or however that works) is supposed to be related to their unusual awakenings, but there doesn't seem to be any particular barrier to Greg teaching them a new technique.

They can't learn from a teacher, though, weirdly. Only wizards can learn other people's magic after they awaken. (No, I don't think it's totally consistent, but it's what Mr. Verres said.)
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:00 am

nitpicking wrote:They can't learn from a teacher, though, weirdly. Only wizards can learn other people's magic after they awaken. (No, I don't think it's totally consistent, but it's what Mr. Verres said.)

I suspect there's something of a loophole for that. While they can't be taught a new spell outright, I suspect a "teacher" could guide them to regular, repeated activities that would increase the likelyhood of them getting a specific kind of spell.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Free Radical on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:56 am

Raging Mouse wrote:I suspect there's something of a loophole for that. While they can't be taught a new spell outright, I suspect a "teacher" could guide them to regular, repeated activities that would increase the likelyhood of them getting a specific kind of spell.

Yeah, that'd pretty much have to be the case or Greg couldn't have taught them any magic-type things in his classes at all.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Re:

Postby nitpicking on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Free Radical wrote:
Raging Mouse wrote:I suspect there's something of a loophole for that. While they can't be taught a new spell outright, I suspect a "teacher" could guide them to regular, repeated activities that would increase the likelyhood of them getting a specific kind of spell.

Yeah, that'd pretty much have to be the case or Greg couldn't have taught them any magic-type things in his classes at all.

"... after they awaken," to quote Agent Verres.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Again, the difficulty is semantic. If magic as said by Mr. Verres (we really need to know his first name) is the underlying power, we have problems. If he was referring to the specific field of this underlying power, we do not, as that would be separate from ASMA. Now to figure out names... the underlying power could simply be called potentia... maybe...
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Free Radical on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:11 am

nitpicking wrote:"... after they awaken," to quote Agent Verres.

I suspect that you're taking that in the wrong context somehow. Dan has said that it's possible for mages to cast spells from a spellbook someone else wrote, so I can't see how that would be possible, but casting someone else's spell a different way wouldn't.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Hasn't all Greg done just trained them... I mean is ASMA really magic or is it just a martial art which just raises the trainee's potential for magical energies. I would have thought that he hasn't actually taught them any spells as such just taught them a martial art...
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Free Radical on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:37 pm

That illusion technique we saw Justin practicing on those kids, at least, appears to be a magic-like ability taught to them by Greg.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:42 pm

Good point... Maybe that could be explained away as a magicless illusion utilising the surroundings?
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Free Radical on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Aeg'air wrote:Good point... Maybe that could be explained away as a magicless illusion utilising the surroundings?

That doesn't seem to be an explanation so much as just claiming it might be possible and hoping nobody actually thinks about what you said. How exactly would this magicless illusion be produced, and why would you even suggest it when we know Justin is learning a school of martial arts specifically said to use something magic-like?
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Clearly abilities like Greg's force field, Nanase's spectrum duplicates (and her Justin-like illusions) and the Tamashii Gekido are magical in nature. Whether to call them "spells" is a semantic question that Mr. Verres could probably go on about for hours.

I hold that Greg's force field is practically identical to Nioi's ability that let her save Grace from Damien's self-immolation.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive