[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/5/02] Mmmm... minty freshness

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/5/02] Mmmm... minty freshness

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:30 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020505.html

Sarah wrote:You ever get the feeling you're missing something???

All the time, man. All the time.
Like who you're talking to in the last panel. Bad Sarah, no breaking the fourth wall!

Anyway, I find it's interesting that after what just happened Sarah decided to go to Grace to talk things through, when she's only known her for about a day now. Then again it could just be that she's the only real choice she has. Sarah doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd only have a few friends, but we haven't seen any evidence that she's friends with anybody in the feminist club besides Susan, so other than Susan her only friends at this point are Elliot and Tedd. Susan doesn't come across as a very good person to go to for comfort or advice with this sort of thing so she's out, and Elliot is the problem so he's out, and that just leaves Tedd. Sarah might have felt better about talking to a girl about this sort of thing though and as Grace was living with Tedd and they were on friendly terms at least I guess that makes her the logical choice.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/5/02] Mmmm... minty freshness

Postby Youwillneverknow on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:46 pm

sarah strikes me as the kind of person who can instantly consider any friends she makes, as close.

This also reminds me that perhaps sarahs freakyness is that she can tell she is in a comic strip,
Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 pm

Mr. Verres internal monologue: "Tedd and Grace sat there in the room smelling of mints watching television I clearly knew was bad. As I sat there watching them, powerless to intervene, I wondered silently where the system had failed them. *glass breaks* Who's that breaking into my home? Oh, it's Sarah, I wonder what she wants at this hour . . . and why she didn't use the door. I'm too tired to care about the window."

Warning the following is a rant:
Seriously? Mr. Verres claims his son is watching "bad television", but doesn't even attempt to do anything about it (as far as we know). Seems a bit out of character to me though realistic when compared to the seeming lack of parental discipline in this modern age. Take some responsibility Mr. Verres, if you really think the television your son is watching is "bad" then why not do something about it? Parent a little on this issue. (Personal peeve. Though, perhaps he did address this issue off screen. I just felt like ranting a little.)
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:55 pm

He could have been using the word bad to refer to the quality of programing, as in "I can't believe they like this crap. Now back in my day..." instead of morally bad.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Unforgiven on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:21 am

I always took "bad television" to mean they were just watching silly soaps or Pop Idol or the home shopping channel or something equally terrible. Not bad as in "morally questionable".
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SleepyOrigami on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:33 am

Chaos Priest wrote:He could have been using the word bad to refer to the quality of programing, as in "I can't believe they like this crap. Now back in my day..." instead of morally bad.

Ah, that could be true. In either case, my anger as directed towards Mr. Verres is and was misplaced. My apologies. It's just that its an issue that really gets my blood boiling and so I felt like ranting a little to relieve the stress.

Back on topic, I'm beginning to think that Sarah really only knows a very small number of people. An even smaller amount of them she trusts at this point in time. I don't think I have ever seen her hang out with characters who aren't the main ones or part of the feminist club. Any link ninjas out there know if Sarah has been seen with or has mentioned having friends other than Elliot, Tedd, Susan, and Grace? Is Sarah a secret hermit? Does she keep to herself do to some skeleton in her closet? Perhaps a whole graveyard? I must know*!

*not really.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ineluki on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:16 am

Isn't that pose a bit uncomfortable, Tedd? :smug:
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tarvok on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:35 pm

Heh, I love the little arc this strip introduces.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:He could have been using the word bad to refer to the quality of programing, as in "I can't believe they like this crap. Now back in my day..." instead of morally bad.

Or even just cheesy campy stuff, where it's funny because it's bad. Maybe a station was having a marathon of Godzilla, or the campified Batman, or showing sci-fi/horror B movies like Attack Of The Shrews and Robot Monster and The Creeping Terror.

That's the kind of "bad" I read it as, anyway :J
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Ocasionally.

== Dec, 2008 ==

Crystal: I'm surprised Sarah wasn't suspicious Tedd TFed Grace against her will, considering Sarah's history with Tedd.

Chaos Priestess wrote:Like who you're talking to in the last panel. Bad Sarah, no breaking the fourth wall!

But breaking the fourth wall is fun! *Winks at non-existant camera.*

SleepyOrigami wrote:Back on topic, I'm beginning to think that Sarah really only knows a very small number of people. An even smaller amount of them she trusts at this point in time. I don't think I have ever seen her hang out with characters who aren't the main ones or part of the feminist club. Any link ninjas out there know if Sarah has been seen with or has mentioned having friends other than Elliot, Tedd, Susan, and Grace? Is Sarah a secret hermit? Does she keep to herself do to some skeleton in her closet? Perhaps a whole graveyard? I must know*!

I'm not a link ninja, but I have read the archives a few times. I recall no signs of other friends for Sarah besides Susan, Elliot, and those who she became friends with over the course of the comic. (I count Tedd in the later group, as Sarah didn't like Tedd early in the comic.)

Ineluki wrote:Isn't that pose a bit uncomfortable, Tedd? :smug:
I've fallen asleep on the couch in a similar position before. I wouldn't recommend spending all night that way, but for a short nap it's not bad.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:17 am

ChronosCat wrote:
Chaos Priestess wrote:Like who you're talking to in the last panel. Bad Sarah, no breaking the fourth wall!

But breaking the fourth wall is fun! *Winks at non-existant camera.*

As a little girl, I never really "got" that that kind of thing was supposed to be breaking the fourth wall... so I developed a habit of breaking the probably-non-existent fourth wall. It's given me an oddly good sense for where to place a camera in a room, but confuses my co-workers :J

Y'know, Dan's art is much better now, but I miss Grace's "spiky phase". Unfortunately, he probably wouldn't like being asked to mondegreen his old art into the new style...
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tarvok on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:32 am

Darekun wrote:know, Dan's art is much better now, but I miss Grace's "spiky phase". Unfortunately, he probably wouldn't like being asked to mondegreen his old art into the new style...

You know, I find that I I agree. She has kind of an "eighties" quality to her... if that's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure. I wonder if that style could be imported into Dan's current quality.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:53 pm

This is my favourite arc. IMO dan should use fillers to redo this ark with awesome art!
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to El Goonish Shive