[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/1/02] Elliot needs a reboot

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/1/02] Elliot needs a reboot

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020501.html

Come on man, I know you're shocked and all but if ya keep that mouth of yours hanging open like that you're gonna drool all over the coat of solitude.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/1/02] Elliot needs a reboot

Postby Nightranger on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:08 am

I guess that's just the risk you take running Windows.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:21 am

At least he wouldn't be in Vista mode back then.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:29 am

The Old Hack wrote:At least he wouldn't be in Vista mode back then.

Worse . . . I think he may have been running ME.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:30 am

Dragonstar wrote:Worse . . . I think he may have been running ME.

Arrrggghhh! Ah well, at least ME didn't try to force out other versions. Or if it did, it didn't succeed.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Unforgiven on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:57 am

The Old Hack wrote:

Arrrggghhh! Ah well, at least ME didn't try to force out other versions. Or if it did, it didn't succeed.

But unlike Vista, ME was actually bad. Vista just has a bad reputation, which is undeserved imo.
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Ah, drama.

== Dec, 2008 ==

Unforgiven wrote:But unlike Vista, ME was actually bad. Vista just has a bad reputation, which is undeserved imo.

Crystal: I haven't used Vista, so I wouldn't know. However, I would imagine it wouldn't have gained a bad reputation if it didn't have some flaws that XP didn't.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:01 pm

ChronosCat wrote:== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Ah, drama.

== Dec, 2008 ==

Unforgiven wrote:But unlike Vista, ME was actually bad. Vista just has a bad reputation, which is undeserved imo.

Crystal: I haven't used Vista, so I wouldn't know. However, I would imagine it wouldn't have gained a bad reputation if it didn't have some flaws that XP didn't.

It is actually the same as most of Windows OS's:

Released with many bugs. (Mostly fixed)
Released with compatibility issues with various hardware. (Mostly fixed)
Released with highly annoying features that most experienced users simply turn off (if they can)
Is a resource hog that required most PCs to upgrade things like RAM to alleviate (Interestingly enough, many users actually make excuses for this)

XP had this problem when first released, too.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:28 pm

So it was only bad early on? That's good to know. I don't expect to ever have it as my main home OS (I prefer Macs, not that they're perfect either), but I'm sure at some point I'll have to use it for some reason.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChibiCarrera on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:44 pm

ChronosCat wrote:So it was only bad early on? That's good to know. I don't expect to ever have it as my main home OS (I prefer Macs, not that they're perfect either), but I'm sure at some point I'll have to use it for some reason.

I have a Mac myself. Like you said, not perfect. But I think it's pretty dang great!
My dad got Vista when it first came out. He never verbally talked about the problems with it. However, he spent many hours in his office upgrading things.
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Unforgiven on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:42 pm

ChronosCat wrote:I haven't used Vista, so I wouldn't know. However, I would imagine it wouldn't have gained a bad reputation if it didn't have some flaws that XP didn't.

The problem is that a lot of the claims come from people who have never even used Vista. Some of the claims (particularly those around DRM) are complete and utter lies. Some of them, like Vista's heavier resource usage, have some truth to them but are grossly exaggerated. Some come from simple misunderstandings; it's reputation as a RAM-hog comes largely from its aggressive pre-fetch caching (SuperFetch) which doesn't actually affect anything because that memory gets released when applications need it (Vista does require more memory than XP, but again not as bad as some people say). The higher level of disk thrashing (caused by e.g. SuperFetch and the search indexer) can also give the perception of reduced performance even though the actual impact is minimal.

Another major claim against Vista revolves around UAC (the elevation dialogs), which has at least some truth to it. Depending on your usage patterns you may see this more often than others. I see it relatively often but the average user won't see it as much after they've set up the things they need. I personally don't mind it, in fact I love it! UAC finally makes the principle of least privilege usable in Windows, something which I've been campaigning for among developers for many years. As part of that I of course also ran XP with a limited user account, and let me tell you, if Vista's UAC is like someone tapping you on your shoulder every time you need to elevate something, the same experience in XP is like having someone perform a root canal. It could definitely be improved upon though, especially when navigating protected folders in Windows Explorer the experience can be rather painful.

Finally, a lot of the smaller problems come from the fact that Vista isn't XP. If you expect things to work exactly like XP, you'll be unpleasantly surprised. The same would be true if you switched from XP to any other operating system that isn't exactly like it.

I have used Vista on numerous machines ever since it was in beta and I am by no means claiming it is completely problem free. But I use it full time on all my computers (except when I need to use Linux for work-related purposes) and the things it does better than XP far outweigh the few annoyances I have with it. I wouldn't go back to XP if you paid me to (well, depends on how much you want to pay, but it'd have to be a lot! :P )
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:12 pm

The Old Hack wrote:

It was kinda the opposite, ME was only there to be forced out on behalf of 98SE.

Strongly disagree. The problem with Vista is that it's aimed at people who've never touched a computer. My stepdad, who barely knows how to operate a web browser, is too computer-literate to use Vista effectively, and has actually said he wishes he'd listened to me when I told him not to get a computer with Vista on it.

The beta, on the other hand, was worth something. My roommate, a bleeding-edger, kinda liked the beta, and had upgraded it several times... But a couple weeks after SP1 came out, gave up and went back to XP.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:55 pm

I've been working with computers professionally since I was responsible for upgrading my floor's computers from DOS 6 to Windows 3.0.

Vista is a downgrade from XP in most respects. UAC is one reason, resource hogging another, just plain insulting the user's intelligence my biggest gripe.

Note: I use Vista, XP, and Linux every day. Also NetBSD, now that I think about it.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SleepyOrigami on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Does anyone else see the two little black dots just above the ice cream menu in panels 1 and 3? I wonder if this is a secret message of some sort. I must go add this to my cork board with thumbtacks and various lengths of yarn! If I do this often enough surely I will find a pattern in this seemingly random data.

Also, they just leave the ice cream on the table? Seriously?! In most ice cream places I know, it is common courtesy to clean up after oneself before you leave. It would be eerie if *uses cross-dimensional time machine to steal their abandoned ice cream* :shifty: *runs*
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Unforgiven on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:46 pm

Darekun wrote:Strongly disagree. The problem with Vista is that it's aimed at people who've never touched a computer. My stepdad, who barely knows how to operate a web browser, is too computer-literate to use Vista effectively, and has actually said he wishes he'd listened to me when I told him not to get a computer with Vista on it.

We must agree to disagree then. I have used computers for many years. The first version of Windows I've used was Windows 3.0, and I have used every version since then. I have beta tested versions of Windows for Microsoft since Windows 2000. I have extensive experience with many flavours of Unix. I have a Master's degree in Computer Science, and am currently studying for a PhD.

Yet, I still love Vista. It isn't perfect, but it's definitely better than XP, even for someone with my level of experience. I know dozens of people, all power users, who share my opinion. Yes, that is anecdotal evidence so in the end it doesn't really matter. But it is my opinion.

I can give you a list of all the things I like in Vista that are better than XP, if you want. :P
EGS character of the day

Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 am

Content Vista user here. It works fine since I bought it (~1 year after release).
Yes, 25-30gig partitions are a bit much for the OS only, but wth. It was bound to happen sooner or later. And a 500gig hdd ain't so expensive anymore.
Only thing that got me riled up now is that I haven't found out yet how to friggin disable that &#§%&"% "Tablet PC Input Panel" without disabling the whole driver -.-
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tarvok on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Dragonstar wrote:Is a resource hog that required most PCs to upgrade things like RAM to alleviate (Interestingly enough, many users actually make excuses for this)

XP had this problem when first released, too.

I don't know about XP upon release, but even for old hardware, XP after being patched a few times was an improvement over Windows 98. I had access, through school, to a free install of XP, so I figured, what the heck, and installed it on my old Windows 98 based Gateway, just to see what happened. I was expecting the computer to run more slowly as a result of installing a newer OS. Instead, there was a marked improvement in performance. I was very surprised.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby DeaExMachina on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:45 am

Elliot may be a bit emo right now, but he has never been emo enough to ever have run on ME. ME is probably the only OS to ever hurt it's self. My biggest complaint with Windows Vista is that animated GIFs don't animate in the default image browser. They decided to bump animated GIF support because it was out dated. Sure, the web browser may display the animated GIF properly, but where is the button on the web browser for the "next picture?" Is it too much to ask for a My Pictures screen saver that handles animated GIFs properly?
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive