[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/26/02] A not-so-cunning plan

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/26/02] A not-so-cunning plan

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:15 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020426.html

Another aspect of Anime Style Martial Arts: all practitioners will at some point make an absolute mess of their relationships. This can be seen in Elliot's example here, Ellen's and Nanase's current problems, and the founding of the school itself.

I think I know what went wrong with Elliot's plan. Well, besides the whole chickening out thing. He was going to try and pretend to be stupid and oblivious concerning Sarah's attraction to him, when in reality he was only one of those things.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/26/02] A not-so-cunning plan

Postby Nightranger on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Don't forget Justin! He joined Sensei Greg's class about the same time he got a crush on Elliot, didn't he? :D
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:22 pm

I wonder why Nanase seems a little possessive of Elliot in her last line here if in the end she really didn't care if Elliot left her or vice versa. Maybe it is an act for appearance sake? Then again we don't figure out the true nature of Elliot and Nanase's relationship until several strips later so it could have been to keep the dramatic tension going.

As far as ASMA goes, I wonder if having overly complicated/troubled relationships is a way of gaining experience. The Sensei didn't discover the secrets of this style until after his relationship went bad. Maybe this gave him a mental boost/link to the magic power source used in ASMA. Complicated relationships are almost as much a part of anime fighting as overly dramatic dialog IMO.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby rista-liehna on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Nightranger wrote:Don't forget Justin! He joined Sensei Greg's class about the same time he got a crush on Elliot, didn't he? :D

Worse. He joined because he had a crush.
rista-liehna
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:55 pm

SleepyOrigami wrote:I wonder why Nanase seems a little possessive of Elliot in her last line here if in the end she really didn't care if Elliot left her or vice versa. Maybe it is an act for appearance sake?

It might also have been a subtle "get moving instead of shillyshallying, twit" prod, I suppose.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:04 pm

I was thinking about Justin, but I wasn't sure if he counted as he isn't actually in a relationship. But then again, as has been pointed out he definitely is on rocky romantic ground with his feelings for Elliot. Plus now that I think about it he also had the potentially disastrous make out session with Susan, and then there is the huge mess with him and Melissa.

Really, Justin just might be the most experienced practitioner of this particular aspect of ASMA.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChibiCarrera on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:
Really, Justin just might be the most experienced practitioner of this particular aspect of ASMA.

Well of course he is! That's been the plan all along, has it not? :P
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: That's a lot of conversation.

== Dec, 2008 ==

Crystal: I wonder how long Elliot was ignoring Sarah's attempts to get his attention, and if Nanase was right about its' effect on her self-esteem?

<speculation on little evidence> If it was a long time, and Nanase was right, could this have been part of what led to her developing her "ordinary girl" persona (which we know is not her entire character)?

Of course, the text of this filler could be used as an argument against that speculation, (specifically "Sarah... is not dependent on Elliot for defining who she is..."), but it's a matter of interpretation whether that statement would apply to this speculation. If one assumes that statement doesn't apply, then one could extend the speculation further - perhaps Dark Sarah either was never interested in Elliot or gave up on him quickly, and due to this she never had the loss of self-esteem EGS Sarah had, resulting in the more confident persona we see from Dark Sarah...?</speculation on little evidence>
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Main Sarah is actually remarkably self-confident.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51 am

nitpicking wrote:Main Sarah is actually remarkably self-confident.
That is true. [mustard=wild_speculation]Also, Dark Sarah might be a cover for lack of the same.[/mustard]
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Return to El Goonish Shive