[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/25/02] NOBODY expects the Japanese Inquisition

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/25/02] NOBODY expects the Japanese Inquisition

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:04 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020425.html

Our chief weapon is armor piercing slaps... slaps and questions regarding your other relationships... questions and slaps... Our two weapons are questions and slaps... and unseen background characters... Our three weapons are questions, slaps, unseen characters... and distractingly large racks... Our four... no... Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry... are such elements as questions, slaps... I'll come in again.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/25/02] NOBODY expects the Japanese Inquisition

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Blimey. I hadn't expected a kind of Japanese Inquisition.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Ah, leaving out details because you're too lazy to draw them - I can identify.

== Dec, 2008 ==

Crystal: I think he should have drawn some blurry vaguely-humanoid blobs in the background, just so we'd have a general idea how many people are in the class, and so we would have guessed the gym isn't empty earlier.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:19 am

Cardinal Fang, get . . . the large "POW!" sign.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:18 am

Confess! Confess! Confess!
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:04 am

Nanase's gotten a lot less violent since that comic. I don't recall her hitting people at, say, the party.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:55 am

I don't remember Nanase having a reason to hit anybody at the party. She did however attempt to deal with her various problems and insecurities by taking it out on a punching bag right before the party, and when she did that she accidentally destroyed the thing.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:17 am

Ellen: So basically, I'm ignoring your wants and needs in order to guilt trip you into coming out, which I'm sure will be an excellent foundation for our relationship.

Seems pretty worthy of a slap or two to me.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tenebrais on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Illusionist wrote:Ellen: So basically, I'm ignoring your wants and needs in order to guilt trip you into coming out, which I'm sure will be an excellent foundation for our relationship.

Seems pretty worthy of a slap or two to me.

She was in love.
Both of them.
Tenebrais
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 pm

Still worthy of a slap or two. I'm just using it as evidence that either Nanase has calmed down, Dan has improved, or both.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChibiCarrera on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:38 pm

She hasn't slapped people since then, but she has gone on a rampage of yelling at people. However, she was hungry at the time. :P
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SQRT(-2) on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:40 am

Those large POW!s come out of the SFX budget, Pitch Black, birthday party, and slime fights have really drained the bank. The last fight was agianst an evil Monkey, but origionaly it was to be an hord of evil monkies, but the pet store would not take Dan's card and he could only afford one monkey, and an UGLY one at that. Notice how Ted and Grace have not been playing around with the gun latley. Dan just can't afford to draw another one of their evenings home alone. The man has to eat.

Really I chalk this up to Dan deciding he did not really want Nanise as voilent and physical as he ininatialy thought. And the Anime Martial Arts angle is really being underplayed. Webcomics are kinda a Work in Progress, so some of this is to be expected.

Elliot's Nanise and Ellen's Nanise are quite different. Where is the Pod?
"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal." "And Ted Verres made them girls."
SQRT(-2)
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Man on the Moon on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:14 am

Illusionist wrote:Nanase's gotten a lot less violent since that comic.

Everybody's gotten more chibified since that comic.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:25 am

Chibi. Sure.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dragonstar on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:11 am

Since Nanase's slapping is here but not elsewhere, then it may be that there is something about this situation that is unique, not the other situations where slappage could have been used.

It is quite possible that she is more angry atm in part because she has to face up to the fact that she is not attracted to the person she's been trying so hard to be attracted to. She is likely angry and disappointed in herself, which puts her at a short fuse, and may have redirected some "blame" over to Elliot, whose own behavior with regards to Sarah doesn't help the situation. Short fuse, and Elliot summoned a fire elemental...
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:00 am

I think it's more likely that Dan's a better writer now, so he's altered Nanase's personality.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Illusionist wrote:I think it's more likely that Dan's a better writer now, so he's altered Nanase's personality.

Not that Dan hasn't improved, but I know plenty of mature writers who have characters change personality simply because they change their minds. None of them, including Elliot, are the same person they were in that first year.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive