[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/23/02] Talking is not a free action

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/23/02] Talking is not a free action

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:07 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020423.html

Well, Elliot may have gotten himself into a pickle here with Sarah, but on the plus side I'm sure there's a nice boat somewhere in his future.

I wonder how it was that Nanase was able to keep Elliot down. The way she's straddling him in the first panel doesn't look like it would be a very good position for doing it, and in the second panel she shifted her weight away from at least one of his shoulders to raise his head into the kiss. If he had tried to use physical force at that point instead of trying to talk his way out of the consequence he'd probably have been able to break the count. Really, Elliot let it happen, and the only reasons I can figure is somehow the martial artist didn't think of using his body or that he didn't want to upset Nanase with a physical rejection.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/23/02] Talking is not a free action

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020423.html

Well, Elliot may have gotten himself into a pickle here with Sarah, but on the plus side I'm sure there's a nice boat somewhere in his future.

Er... I'm sorry, but you lost me.

I wonder how it was that Nanase was able to keep Elliot down. The way she's straddling him in the first panel doesn't look like it would be a very good position for doing it, and in the second panel she shifted her weight away from at least one of his shoulders to raise his head into the kiss. If he had tried to use physical force at that point instead of trying to talk his way out of the consequence he'd probably have been able to break the count. Really, Elliot let it happen, and the only reasons I can figure is somehow the martial artist didn't think of using his body or that he didn't want to upset Nanase with a physical rejection.

I personally consider the latter the more likely scenario. In some ways I feel Elliot is a conflicted person -- he strikes me as having strong impulses to fight things he doesn't like as well as a lot of aggression in him, but that he works hard to keep them in check and only turns them loose on bullies, thugs and the otherwise 'deserving.' As he had just previously declared, he is genuinely afraid of hurting people, possibly due to the above suggested aggressive impulses. Thus, 'saying no' to someone he likes is probably very hard for him, which is of course another likely reason for his not telling Sarah that he is already is in a relationship and getting himself into this mess.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:14 am

The Old Hack wrote:
Chaos Priestess wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020423.html

Er... I'm sorry, but you lost me.

Internet meme. Quoting from the TV Tropes page on the anime School Days
To explain: In the final episode, one of the girls goes Axe Crazy in a fairly literal sense. A similar event happened in real life in Tokyo just days before, and the networks decided not to air the final episode in order to avoid any unfortunate parallels. Instead, they ran a half hour travel documentary that included one section about the Fjord1 ferry. In the internet firestorm that followed, one 4chan wag commented mildly, "Nice boat", which became an instant meme.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby rista-liehna on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 am

So you're saying that Sarah will go crazy?
rista-liehna
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:02 am

That was the joke, yes.

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:50 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Wow, I didn't see that one coming - and neither did Sarah.

== Dec, 2008 ==

Chaos Priestess wrote:Really, Elliot let it happen, and the only reasons I can figure is somehow the martial artist didn't think of using his body or that he didn't want to upset Nanase with a physical rejection.

Crystal: He seemed to be babbling a bit; his mind probably froze in panic.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive