[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/21/02] The first bunny

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/21/02] The first bunny

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020421.html

I wonder how often that happens to The Sensei. It seems it would be a bit detrimental to teaching the class so I'd hope it isn't that often, but the way Elliot and Nanase take it in stride implies that they've seen it before, many times.

As for the art in the comic, I like the way the clothing in panel 5 looks, but that space ship is just ugly.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/21/02] The first bunny

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I like the spaceship. I could spend hours trying to make sense of those strange markings on it. My current theory is that it looks kind of like the Loch Ness Monster with long hair and a smiley face tattoo on its back.

I also like the way The Sensei thinks. It's fun to project television onto real life situations whenever possible. The first time I read this comic, I didn't realize that the two characters in the thought bubble were Elliot and Nanase in costume. I also spent like two minutes trying to figure out where Nanase's eyebrow went in panel two before I realized she was winking.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChronosCat on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:34 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: So, they were just playing. I was worried for a bit that the writing had gone down the toilet. On the other hand, I'm disappointed we won't get to see "full power".

Also, I know how Gregg feels... So many good shows die before their time (while mediocre and worse shows continue on...). ...Ah, Sonic SatAM... *sigh*

== Dec, 2008 ==

Crystal: Of course, sometimes a premature ending is good for a show. If you're still wanting more when a series ends, it makes it more likely you'll think of it as a good show; while a bad ending can drag down the entire series. (To take the example I gave above, SatAM might not have seemed nearly as awesome to me without the cliffhanger ending... An example of a series going on too long for it's own good, meanwhile, would be DBZ.)

Chaos Priestess wrote: but that space ship is just ugly.

It looks biological to me; some sort of plant/dragon/ship hybrid. If that's the case, it could be a cool ugly... But given that the LBBS doesn't seem to be a very ground-breaking series, I suspect it's supposed to be a regular ship, in which case, yes, the ship is just plain ugly.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyofNonSequitur on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 am

That's a ship?! I always thought it was an ugly dragon-thing... >.>
Image Please click on these little dragons/dragon eggs!
Inventory:
a TF Gun
a squirrel teddy
a cookie in shiny wrapper
a sixpack of unlabeled soda
a dead fish
a mood ring
a ball of yarn
a catnip mouse
a full collection of Non-Sequitur comics
a Pouch of Infinite Apples
a hand-forged pocketknife (now with Molecular Edge Technology(tm)!)
a 30m coil of braided Kevlar marine rope
LadyofNonSequitur
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Melvar on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 am

ChronosCat\Crystal wrote:
It looks biological to me; some sort of plant/dragon/ship hybrid. If that's the case, it could be a cool ugly... But given that the LBBS doesn't seem to be a very ground-breaking series, I suspect it's supposed to be a regular ship, in which case, yes, the ship is just plain ugly.
A plant/dragon/ship hybrid wouldn't be ground-breaking! Would it?
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby The kool on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:39 am

LadyofNonSequitur wrote:That's a ship?! I always thought it was an ugly dragon-thing... >.>

Seconded...
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dragonstar on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 am

I rather like the "Brain Broken" expression Sarah has in this one.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Melvar wrote:
ChronosCat\Crystal wrote:
A plant/dragon/ship hybrid wouldn't be ground-breaking! Would it?

As in "totally new", no, but series with prominent biological-ships are rare from what I can tell, and having it be a plant/dragon would add to the innovation.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Man on the Moon on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Biological spaceships is a really dumb idea that I'm surprised is as common as it is.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Man on the Moon wrote:Biological spaceships is a really dumb idea that I'm surprised is as common as it is.

Ahhh, you're just sore because they can't be arsed to visit the Moon.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Man on the Moon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:59 am

The Old Hack wrote:
Man on the Moon wrote:Biological spaceships is a really dumb idea that I'm surprised is as common as it is.

Nobody ever wants to visit me. :(
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:28 am

You wanna back that assertion up with some reasoning here?
Since there aer dozens of reasons why bio-ships are good.
I mean, a plant-based ship would be awesome since it could recycle the crew's waste carbon dioxide by converting incoming interstellar radiation for a start.
“Onward to Victory!”
Azrael, Colony Leader, Victory Colony.
Resident Evil Chocolatier and Mad Geneticist.
Bearer of the Ring of Creativity and of the Ring of Intelligence.
Pre-pre-orders for Felis jeremiah specimens now closed! Sorry folks!
There is no DGMP conspiracy. And I am certainly not member #1427.
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:50 am

But how would a biological ship last more than a few seconds in space?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:41 pm

With a hard exoskeleton & carapace.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:46 pm

ForkBomb wrote:With a hard exoskeleton & carapace.

This.
In fact, it turns out that human skin is plenty adequate protection against vacuum except at the joints where it is more elastic. People die when exposed to vacuum because all their oxygen disappears more than anything else.
“Onward to Victory!”
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby Man on the Moon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:19 pm

azrael_2001 wrote:You wanna back that assertion up with some reasoning here?

I could jump out of my ship with a knife between my teeth, cut a chunk out of your ship, then go back and fry it up for dinner.

More seriously, nuclear reactions do not mesh well with organic materials. What exactly is going to be the power source?
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Man on the Moon wrote:
azrael_2001 wrote:You wanna back that assertion up with some reasoning here?

I could jump out of my ship with a knife between my teeth, cut a chunk out of your ship, then go back and fry it up for dinner.

And with that attitude you're wondering why no-one ever visits you? :o

More seriously, nuclear reactions do not mesh well with organic materials. What exactly is going to be the power source?

Solar wind for propulsion in-system? As for faster than light travel, well, I'll get back to you once we have some better idea of how to accomplish it... :-?
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Man on the Moon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:42 pm

The Old Hack wrote:And with that attitude you're wondering why no-one ever visits you? :o

Like it's my fault you're flying delicious vittles.

Solar wind for propulsion in-system? As for faster than light travel, well, I'll get back to you once we have some better idea of how to accomplish it... :-?

Not just propulsion, but everything else. Lights, air circulation, all that stuff.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Man on the Moon wrote:

Not just propulsion, but everything else. Lights, air circulation, all that stuff.

We were talking an organic vessel? Then it might produce fresh air through photosynthesis -- plenty of sunlight insystem. Light? Let's see, do we have a sun? Then we have plenty of solar energy to produce bioluminescence. A hydroponics garden, and we're eating. Yum. Heat -- well, in space the bigger problem is actually to get rid of excess heat. A good hard carapace with a double layer if you absolutely insist on insulation. An internet connection to the EGS homepage and archives? Aw crap, I knew we would run into trouble eventually... :cry:
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:37 pm

The Old Hack wrote:
Man on the Moon wrote:

We were talking an organic vessel? Then it might produce fresh air through photosynthesis -- plenty of sunlight insystem. Light? Let's see, do we have a sun? Then we have plenty of solar energy to produce bioluminescence. A hydroponics garden, and we're eating. Yum. Heat -- well, in space the bigger problem is actually to get rid of excess heat. A good hard carapace with a double layer if you absolutely insist on insulation. An internet connection to the EGS homepage and archives? Aw crap, I knew we would run into trouble eventually... :cry:

Convert excess heat into power for propulsion and whatnot?
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:54 pm

ForkBomb wrote:With a hard exoskeleton & carapace.

Or some sort of coral-like material, such as Yuzhaan-Vong vessels.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby azrael_2001 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:02 am

Power sources could include eating stuff, using atmospheric oxygen gleaned from habitable worlds to oxidise hydrogen from gas giants and/or photosynthesis to reverse the above.
Also, there's no specific reason why you cant get biological structures to deposit a metallic shell/wires, so Bussard-type inertial electrostatic confinement fusion isn't out of the picture either. I suspect that the ability to mutate and evolve different shapes of reaction chamber might also hit on some manner of new design that is more efficient and/or safer maybe.

As for radiation, again nature leads the way - Deinococcus radiodurans exhibits ridiculous resistance to all manner of harsh environmental effects, including radiation.

I wouldn't want to bet on any of this evolving naturally of course, but no-one mentioned such a requirement. Speaking of which, I expect that it would also be possible that, by the time we're up to engineering organisms on this sort of scale, we'd also be at the point where we'd be able to add radiodurans-esque radiation resistance to people as well.
“Onward to Victory!”
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:25 am

The Old Hack wrote:plenty of sunlight insystem. Light? Let's see, do we have a sun? Then we have plenty of solar energy to produce bioluminescence. A hydroponics garden, and we're eating. Yum. Heat -- well, in space the bigger problem is actually to get rid of excess heat. A good hard carapace with a double layer if you absolutely insist on insulation. An internet connection to the EGS homepage and archives? Aw crap, I knew we would run into trouble eventually... :cry:

Not going to be enough light, for two reasons. Light energy drops off ^3 so you have to be very very close to the star to get energy. So you'd have to sit in an earth-like or closer orbit for a lot of time to save up the power.
The other problem is that only your surface can collect light. The bigger you get the lower the ratio of surface / volume. Plants have a very high surface/volume ratio for a reason.

And nasa have the internet covered: http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008/no ... ernet.html
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 am

Man on the Moon wrote:
The Old Hack wrote:

Nobody ever wants to visit me. :(

You don't speak any Indian languages by any chance, do you?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:29 am

ForkBomb wrote:
The Old Hack wrote:plenty of sunlight insystem. Light? Let's see, do we have a sun? Then we have plenty of solar energy to produce bioluminescence. A hydroponics garden, and we're eating. Yum. Heat -- well, in space the bigger problem is actually to get rid of excess heat. A good hard carapace with a double layer if you absolutely insist on insulation. An internet connection to the EGS homepage and archives? Aw crap, I knew we would run into trouble eventually... :cry:

Not going to be enough light, for two reasons. Light energy drops off ^3 so you have to be very very close to the star to get energy. So you'd have to sit in an earth-like or closer orbit for a lot of time to save up the power.
The other problem is that only your surface can collect light. The bigger you get the lower the ratio of surface / volume. Plants have a very high surface/volume ratio for a reason.

This is a problem how? You'll be able to use a solar sail for propulsion. If your vessel can produce a very large sail-like surface, possibly by means of spinnerets, why not have solar collectors on it as well? Then you have an energy collector and propulsion combined in one.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive