[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/20/02] Why can't Nanase always dress like that

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/20/02] Why can't Nanase always dress like that

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:54 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020420.html

So how much power can they use before Greg's insurance ducks out? I'm guessing... 60%. That's still enough to have moderately impressive fights, but still low enough that damage is relatively rare, and when it does occur it's nothing some plaster couldn't fix. Any more than that and you wind up with students (and instructors, really) becoming People of Mass Destruction, and no sane insurance company would be willing to cover that amount of possible collateral damage.

And while I'll probably get hammered for paying attention to this, but is it just me or does Sarah seem a lot more well endowed back then than she is these days. You could probably just attribute it to Dan improving his artwork and changing style and all that, but Sarah almost looks as big as Nanase here.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/20/02] Why can't Nanase always dress like that

Postby Melvar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 am

Chaos Priest wrote:So how much power can they use before Greg's insurance ducks out? I'm guessing... 60%. That's still enough to have moderately impressive fights, but still low enough that damage is relatively rare, and when it does occur it's nothing some plaster couldn't fix. Any more than that and you wind up with students (and instructors, really) becoming People of Mass Destruction, and no sane insurance company would be willing to cover that amount of possible collateral damage.

You're not supposed to use set numbers here! We don't know how much is a lot, or even if power level is a scalar or if characterizing it requires a multidimensional function.
And while I'll probably get hammered for paying attention to this, but is it just me or does Sarah seem a lot more well endowed back then than she is these days. You could probably just attribute it to Dan improving his artwork and changing style and all that, but Sarah almost looks as big as Nanase here.

That is attributable to art evolution, as far as I can see.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Ineluki on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:29 am

Whenever I read these old strips, I gotta snicker at how not-so-subtle Dan's foreshading on Justin's ( and later Nanase's ) orientation was. Of course I missed it anyway when I read it for the very first time, as I was much too caught up in, well, devouring the whole archive at once ;)
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Well with Justin I don't think it was ever supposed to be a big reveal, so there wasn't really anything to foreshadow. As to Nanase, I think the not-so-subtle foreshadowing worked out well as her denial was and is an important piece of her part of the comic's drama. Now I severely doubt that much of what's happened with that was planned that far out in advance, but it still seems that she was always supposed to be a closeted lesbian.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:31 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: More overly-dramatic dialog... And I wonder, does Gregg know what their "full power" is like, or is he just going by what usually happens to the surroundings when Anime Characters go to full power?

== Dec, 2008 ==

Ineluki wrote:Whenever I read these old strips, I gotta snicker at how not-so-subtle Dan's foreshading on Justin's ( and later Nanase's ) orientation was. Of course I missed it anyway when I read it for the very first time, as I was much too caught up in, well, devouring the whole archive at once ;)

Crystal: If I recall correctly, I never even thought about what Justin's orientation was until it was said outright, at which point I was like, "Well, obviously." (I could be wrong, though, I don't remember it too well. *Schedules a time trip to go back and interview her past self about the subject.*)

As for Nanase, I thought Dan did a rather good job of laying out the hints, but leaving enough question that it wasn't for sure that she was in denial 'till near the end.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChibiCarrera on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:13 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:

Ah, but you also see, Nanase has magically lost her muscles.
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to El Goonish Shive