[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/19/02] Half of ASMA is practicing dialog

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/19/02] Half of ASMA is practicing dialog

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:09 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020419.html

Seriously, you just know Elliot has spent days coming up with appropriately dramatic speeches. Just like Nanase has probably spend much time on the appropriate before, mid, and likely after-battle poses.

It occurs to me that Nanase got really lucky in the first panel. If she had been flung a few inches more to the side she could have been sent off the mat and lost the match. And, uh, while on the subject of the first panel, am I the only person who would be interested in seeing that in a more recent art style?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/19/02] Half of ASMA is practicing dialog

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020419.html

Seriously, you just know Elliot has spent days coming up with appropriately dramatic speeches. Just like Nanase has probably spend much time on the appropriate before, mid, and likely after-battle poses.

Though possibly not on the pose she is in in the first panel. :shifty:

It occurs to me that Nanase got really lucky in the first panel. If she had been flung a few inches more to the side she could have been sent off the mat and lost the match. And, uh, while on the subject of the first panel, am I the only person who would be interested in seeing that in a more recent art style?

Not at all, possibly as a filler sketch sometime Dan has more time and energy. :)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:55 am

I always loved this strip. I really does feel like it came straight out of a martial arts anime.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:35 am

Only half? That's a better ratio than most martial arts anime!
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Chronos: Augh! Yet more cliche! At least the Sensei acknowledges it, somewhat. (Though he just calls it overly-dramatic, not cliche.)

Crystal: Gregg should work out some system that would allow them to get rewards for stuff like changing outfits and "overly-dramatic-dialog".

Chaos Priestess wrote:And, uh, while on the subject of the first panel, am I the only person who would be interested in seeing that in a more recent art style?

It hadn't occurred to me before, but now that you mention it, I would also be interested.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:36 pm

ChronosCat wrote:Chronos: Augh! Yet more cliche! At least the Sensei acknowledges it, somewhat. (Though he just calls it overly-dramatic, not cliche.)

Crystal: Gregg should work out some system that would allow them to get rewards for stuff like changing outfits and "overly-dramatic-dialog".

Darn tootin'! Actually, it may count in a way we don't know of -- like adding to their ASMA power level when they do. Though that would also mean that dialog of this kind might contribute even more to his current power regeneration woes...
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:And, uh, while on the subject of the first panel, am I the only person who would be interested in seeing that in a more recent art style?

I wouldn't mind, and though it might be nice to see all of the earlier strips redone, which some webcomic authors do, currently, it's more worthwhile hoping for new comics and old commentaries. Maybe should EGS end one day (may this never come true) it will be done, but watching the art evolution holds some appeal too.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Tricia on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:45 pm

When EGS ends, it will almost certainly be because Dan has found something that he wants to work on more. Why would he go back and work on redoing the early strips, if he's ended EGS already?
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Boredom on a rainy day?

Yeah, probably not.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Tricia wrote:When EGS ends, it will almost certainly be because Dan has found something that he wants to work on more. Why would he go back and work on redoing the early strips, if he's ended EGS already?

Bunnies with too much money offering him private commissions?
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 am

Tricia wrote:When EGS ends, it will almost certainly be because Dan has found something that he wants to work on more. Why would he go back and work on redoing the early strips, if he's ended EGS already?

He's a massive perfectionist.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Illusionist wrote:

He's a massive perfectionist.

If he does not do it, the owl might eat him.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Melvar wrote:Maybe should EGS end one day (may this never come true) it will be done, but watching the art evolution holds some appeal too.

While I don't want EGS to end any time soon, I've found that it's generally better for series to have a conclusion. While this is not always the case, often ones that go on too long either become repetitive or jump the shark.

Also, considering that not just his art but his storytelling style has improved since the early days, I don't think he'd want to do the old strips panel-for-panel. He'd probably want to rewrite the story, too. ...Actually, this re-writing is something I'd like to see.

I don't remember his exact words, but if I recall, the last time this topic came up, Dan said he wasn't likely to revise EGS in comic form, but he might write a (text) book retelling things (or at least he'd like to).
Last edited by ChronosCat on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:36 am

ChronosCat wrote:
Melvar wrote:Maybe should EGS end one day (may this never come true) it will be done, but watching the art evolution holds some appeal too.

While I don't want EGS to end any time soon, I've found that it's generally better for series to have a conclusion. While this is not always the case, often ones that go on too long either become repetitive or jump the shark.
That's true, of course. My "(may this never come true)" was more of a joke, though a bad one, suggesting it were a sacrilege to suggest EGS might end.
Also, considering that not just his art but his storytelling style has improved since the early days, I don't think he'd want to do the old strips panel-for-panel. He'd probably want to rewrite the story, too. ...Actually, this re-writing is something I'd like to see.
A reboot! Seconded!
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Tricia on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:26 am

ChronosCat wrote:Also, considering that not just his art but his storytelling style has improved since the early days, I don't think he'd want to do the old strips panel-for-panel. He'd probably want to rewrite the story, too. ...Actually, this re-writing is something I'd like to see.
Psh. The more things he changed early on, the more things he'd have to change with the current story...and he'd wind up having to rewrite *everything*.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:39 pm

I forgot to mention this earlier, but for some reason, I find Nanase extremely cute in the first panel.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Return to El Goonish Shive