[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/9/02] Can't argue with results...

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/9/02] Can't argue with results...

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020409.html

Amazing how quickly something can become legend, isn't it? Still, thinking about it I have to wonder just what kind of training methods Greg uses. It would certainly appear that he is qualified and able to give his students actual martial arts training, but at what point and how does the unusual stuff kick in? We know that Greg apparently has seen DBZ and Ranma 1/2, but has he taken training methods from them as well? Like say, does he have students perform endurance training while wearing 50 lb tortoise shells, or do they have to snatch chestnuts out of a fire? Would his training in accessing ki actually allow his students to do that type of thing?

As a side note, apart from their outfits Sarah and Justin look really similar in the last panel here. Oh what a difference time makes in character design.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/9/02] Can't argue with results...

Postby Bickendan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:08 pm

The important question now: Has Greg since found someone special that can and does appreciate his hobby and career? Or is this something for a future storyline?
Bickendan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 am

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Ah, like the training seen in Dragonball - tilling huge fields with your bare hands and the like...

== Nov, 2008 ==

Crystal: Is it even possible to safely stay awake that long? (I seem to recall that after a certain point, not sleeping can kill you - but I don't remember how long that is.) Maybe he accidentally napped through a few episodes. (Heck, I would imagine it would be hard not to... After you get past a certain level of tiredness, once you stop moving it becomes hard to keep your eyes opened...)

Chaos Priestess wrote:We know that Greg apparently has seen DBZ and Ranma 1/2, but has he taken training methods from them as well?
Just so long as he didn't toss any of them in a pit of starving cats...
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 pm

ChronosCat wrote:== Nov, 2008 ==

Crystal: Is it even possible to safely stay awake that long? (I seem to recall that after a certain point, not sleeping can kill you - but I don't remember how long that is.) Maybe he accidentally napped through a few episodes. (Heck, I would imagine it would be hard not to... After you get past a certain level of tiredness, once you stop moving it becomes hard to keep your eyes opened...)

Actually that could even have contributed according to certain ideas of indoctrination taking place while you are asleep. :shifty:

Alternately, it could be viewed as one of these great trials often faced by heroic figures on their path to enlightenment. Just as Odin impaled himself on the world tree Yggdrasil with his own spear and hung on it for nine days and nine nights before achieving the wisdom he sought, Greg glued himself to his television for seven days and seven nights. And no, it isn't safe -- that they have the qualities necessary to survive their trials is part of what makes them heroes.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:33 pm

ChronosCat wrote:Crystal: Is it even possible to safely stay awake that long? (I seem to recall that after a certain point, not sleeping can kill you - but I don't remember how long that is.) Maybe he accidentally napped through a few episodes. (Heck, I would imagine it would be hard not to... After you get past a certain level of tiredness, once you stop moving it becomes hard to keep your eyes opened...)

I seem to remember having read of someone who stayed awake for 200 hours (he had hallucinations in the later parts though) and this is just 168 hours. So Greg likely just went (temporarily?) half insane at some point, believed hallucinations, or The Old Hack might be right:
The Old Hack wrote:Actually that could even have contributed according to certain ideas of indoctrination taking place while you are asleep. :shifty:
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Return to El Goonish Shive