[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/5/02] Problems

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 4/5/02] Problems

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:34 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020405.html

I'm afraid that there are several problems with this strip:

1) The title.
I'm sorry Dan, but statements like that simply raise suspicion. It's like telling people not to think of a pink elephant.

2) The lack of art.
Dan, if you're going to be a successful artist, then you need to get control of your pencil eating problem. If you keep this up then I'm afraid we're going to have to stage an intervention. It's not healthy, man. There is also another consequence that I will deal with a bit later on concerning the lack of art.

3) The lack of voice recognition.
While it may be a bit funny as some fourth wall humor, the fact remains that if Elliot can't tell the difference between Tedd's voice and Sarah's voice then either Elliot is extremely unobservant or Tedd's voice is not only just that girly, but spookily similar to Sarah's.

4) Sarah's act of violence.
There are a lot of impressionable young readers for this comic, and teaching young girls that violence is OK is not cool.

And finally, the biggest problem of all...
5) The fact that not only was Sarah committing an act of violence, but she was naked while doing so.
If she runs around naked like that of course people are going to say something. She's handing herself an excuse to commit the violence, and given her state of undress I can't help but wonder if she doesn't get "excited" by said violence. There is also poor Elliot to consider. If he is repeatedly subjected to Sarah's bizarre sadist tendencies then he may wind up mentally connecting pain to pleasure and develop masochistic urges, which in turn will only fuel Sarah's problem more, leading to a spiral with both of them becoming more and more addicted to causing and feeling pain, potentially causing any future relationships thy may have irreparable damage. This also extends to your young readers, as you plant the seeds of such sexual depravity in their minds. And most heinous of all...

You don't show us it, man! Come on, how could you be so cruel as to tease us with naked-Sarah-with-hammer and not show it?!
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 4/5/02] Problems

Postby Nightranger on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:4) Sarah's act of violence.
There are a lot of impressionable young readers for this comic, and teaching young girls that violence is OK is not cool.

And finally, the biggest problem of all...
5) The fact that not only was Sarah committing an act of violence, but she was naked while doing so.
If she runs around naked like that of course people are going to say something. She's handing herself an excuse to commit the violence, and given her state of undress I can't help but wonder if she doesn't get "excited" by said violence. There is also poor Elliot to consider. If he is repeatedly subjected to Sarah's bizarre sadist tendencies then he may wind up mentally connecting pain to pleasure and develop masochistic urges, which in turn will only fuel Sarah's problem more, leading to a spiral with both of them becoming more and more addicted to causing and feeling pain, potentially causing any future relationships thy may have irreparable damage. This also extends to your young readers, as you plant the seeds of such sexual depravity in their minds. And most heinous of all...

http://transform.to/~ravenb/pics/boxofun.gif

Really, do I need to say anything?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:59 am

Well, not you wouldn't need to say anything really, but you could follow it up with a link to this strip, which would necessitate the use of words such as "fifth panel".

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Melvar on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 am

I don't think it's likely that Sarah really was naked while invisible (though possible, since nobody would see), since the only thing that would point to this was a suggestion by Elliot to tease the readers, who would not know if he was telling the truth, which leads back to our predicament.
Also, we need a "hammer" or "hammer'd" emoticon in addition to the TF-Gun one.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:14 am

Melvar wrote:I don't think it's likely that Sarah really was naked while invisible (though possible, since nobody would see), since the only thing that would point to this was a suggestion by Elliot to tease the readers, who would not know if he was telling the truth, which leads back to our predicament.

Yeah, um, I was kinda joking with the problems, and most especially #5. Kinda blatantly joking. I know darn well that Sarah was not naked in this strip.

I swear, why is it that people can't tell when I'm joking? I should affix a clown nose to my avatar or something, maybe carry around a bicycle horn :grumble:
Also, we need a "hammer" or "hammer'd" emoticon in addition to the TF-Gun one.

ImageImageImageImageImage
These came up in another thread. Share and enjoy :)

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Melvar on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am

Chaos Priest wrote:Yeah, um, I was kinda joking with the problems, and most especially #5. Kinda blatantly joking. I know darn well that Sarah was not naked in this strip.

I swear, why is it that people can't tell when I'm joking? I should affix a clown nose to my avatar or something, maybe carry around a bicycle horn :grumble:

I knew you were joking when I got to #2, but a) I needed to make absolutely sure nobody took that seriously, and b) I had to add my mustard.
Maybe I should use [add mustard][/add mustard]?
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Tarvok on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Nightranger wrote:http://transform.to/~ravenb/pics/boxofun.gif

:o

:lol:
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 pm

My work here is done.
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:09 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: And here I thought only us readers couldn't see what was going on. For that matter, this is breaking the fourth wall even more than normal - the comic makes no sense if we imagine the text spoken out loud, unless Tedd and Sarah sound the same.

== Nov, 2008 ==

Crystal: I support the general direction of this thread. I would also like to point out that Sarah will want Elliot to assume his Cat-boy form during some of their games. (Boardgames! :shifty: )
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:54 pm

Isn't it weird how one comic title can be the source of so much fun? There've been a few times I've used the "play boardgames" euphemism around people who have no idea what EGS is. As you might expect, I got some funny looks. :)

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:54 pm

I thin the point is that the characters can only see what we could see and so could only see the text floating in the air.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Bickendan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Nightranger wrote:http://transform.to/~ravenb/pics/boxofun.gif

Oh my.
And it's not so much Sarah and Elliot with what they have that concerns me, but their source...
Bickendan
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to El Goonish Shive