NEWS New Story Comic Next Tuesday

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

NEWS New Story Comic Next Tuesday

Postby Huzzus on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:13 am

http://egscomics.com/news/
So, the story will hopefully get started again next Tuesday. I hope this new Tuesday/Thursday update is easier on Dan so we can get more EGS goodness ^w^
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: NEWS New Story Comic Next Tuesday

Postby Ineluki on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 am

so, if I got that right, that means 8 days of no new comics and instead commentary... and then the schedule gets turned to twice a week and *maybe* a weekend filler.
wellllll the whole 2 canon, 1 filler was something I proposed several weeks earlier. hope it's good fillers though, since, personally, I've seen enough sketches for this year. (oh, the irony...)
but a commentary instead of comic material? bah. damn that college schedule -.-
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby mdm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 am

Well, at least the story is resuming. :D
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:11 am

Cue filler on Tuesday.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Huzzus on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm I really the only one who doesn't care if Dan updates whatever the hell he wants? Maybe cause I'm still *kinda* new and missed out on the long delays I hear about way back when.
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Youwillneverknow on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Huzzus wrote:I'm I really the only one who doesn't care if Dan updates whatever the hell he wants? Maybe cause I'm still *kinda* new and missed out on the long delays I hear about way back when.

I agree, I'm happy whenever the comic update no matter what it is, forcing Dan to stick to a schedule would only result in diminished quality, and I know nobody wants that.
Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tricia on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:48 pm

I personally hope Dan *does* stick with sketches for fillers. Or at least pre-prepared material. Drawing things specifically for fillers would kind of defeat the purpose, and potentially disrupt the other two comics from getting out on time.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ineluki on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:58 pm

When I was new, a year ago, I finished reading the archives just when things started to get very slow. So I got used to it, since I didn't know anything else. Besides, discussions in the forum were flowing at the time. This dragged on until the day he started updating thrice per week. It didn't take long to get used to that, of course.
But now it's obviously a step back again. In 2 days, we have 8 complete weeks - 2 forking months! - without a single canon comic. That is completely unprecedented in egs history, afaik. In addition to that, there's nothing new to discuss here. Yes, we can go over the old strips, but that's about it. Everything else has been debated and speculated to death and beyond - of course that doesn't stop some people from bringing things up again anyway (and I'm not counting newbies here, who can't know better...)
In addition to that I observe that Dan is more distant to the forums now, which isn't helping things as well.

Mind you,I'm just observing & analyzing, not placing blame on Dan for any of this.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

/me votes for sketch fillers.
I like those fillers, wouldn't complain too much if the whole comic became sketch.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mdm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Then Bunnydom would cease to exist as a great number of us drift away, no?
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm doing commentary because all of the stuff I'm sketching right now is spoilertastic. I would have to sketch things specifically for fillers or dig into really old stuff and double check as to whether I'd used those sketches yet.

And my computer would have to blow up for there to be Filler next Tuesday, and even then I'd have to figure out how to scan and upload things given the explodedness of my computer.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby mdm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:22 pm

That seems to be a VERY good reason for commentaries.
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Alkonium on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 pm

mdm wrote:That seems to be a VERY good reason for commentaries.

Writing is easier than drawing?
Alkonium
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nightranger on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Do we want to have response threads for the new commentaries, or just wait until we get to the comics in question in the S.T.O.R.Y. threads?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Nightranger wrote:Do we want to have response threads for the new commentaries, or just wait until we get to the comics in question in the S.T.O.R.Y. threads?

What if he posts commentaries for comics already covered in S.T.O.R.Y. threads? Do we go back to the old threads (if we can find them - not as easy as it sounds, the search function doesn't accept the term "S.T.O.R.Y.")? Maybe we should just have one thread for all the commentaries?
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Nightranger wrote:Do we want to have response threads for the new commentaries, or just wait until we get to the comics in question in the S.T.O.R.Y. threads?

Well, considering the one a day thing it might take a while to get to 2004 :nervous:
Crystal wrote:What if he posts commentaries for comics already covered in S.T.O.R.Y. threads? Do we go back to the old threads (if we can find them - not as easy as it sounds, the search function doesn't accept the term "S.T.O.R.Y.")?

You may not be able to search for S.T.O.R.Y., but you can search for the url of the comic. I just tried it with the basic search, and a search for "http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020201.html" was able to find the corresponding S.T.O.R.Y. thread. Now whether or not it's a good idea to bring up the old threads if they get commentary is a good question. I have no idea if necromancy applies to those things :P
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 am

Chaos Priest wrote:I have no idea if necromancy applies to those things :P

It's cultural, so it varies based on the individual.

Which is not an answer, but it's better to know there isn't an answer than keep wondering...
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:19 am

Alkonium wrote:
mdm wrote:That seems to be a VERY good reason for commentaries.

Writing is easier than drawing?

I would imagine writing about something you've already drawn would be easier than drawing something new.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:40 am

There's no reason there can't be threads for new archived commentary such as this. Apparently there's a lot to talk about the latest one, as I've already gotten a couple of decently sized e-mails (mostly regarding Samwise).
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Aeg'air on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:15 am

Just wondering Dan (Well if you ever see this) roughly how many emails do you get per day? I mean you have loads of fans so I'm just curious.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive