[S.T.O.R.Y. Infinity] Still no end in sight.

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. Infinity] Still no end in sight.

Postby Tricia on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 am

I know that this likely won't be a popular opinion...but I hope that I'm not the only one that's sick of seeing the huge mass of the "S.T.O.R.Y" threads. While this is not about the validity of said threads, and whether or not there is a point to them...what *is* a problem, at least in my eyes, is the vast number of them. They're posted once a day, 7 days a week, and outnumber any other threads that are made. As of the time this was posted, out of the 12 most recently replied threads, 8 of them are "S.T.O.R.Y." threads. This makes people who aren't interested in them, and even those that are...rather overwhelmed with them.

This is not to say they should be completely gotten rid of. But I bring up a question that was raised when the idea was first thought of. Does there really need to be a single post for every single comic? Could there not be threads for a week at a time, so people who don't want to re-tread tired old comics can avoid them, not to mention even the people who *are* interested in them being able to avoid seeing a huge line of them all in a row, making it difficult to find other threads? We've still got a *long* time to go in these threads, and this problem will only get worse, and worse, and worse, with more and more and more threads.

Again...this is not calling for the threads to be stopped. But surely there can be a compromise between those that love them, and those that would rather not see them, that can result in them *not* taking over the board.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. Infinity] Still no end in sight.

Postby Illusionist on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:34 am

Why shouldn't there be a thread for every comic? I don't particularly care about them, so I usually just ignore them.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ineluki on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:52 am

oh, yes, sure, scrolling down a page must be *soo* hard.
the nerve of some people....
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am

I think that it's fine for people who have just started reading or what ever to post a story thread. I mean they tend to go off topic pretty fast that even if your not interested in comics from 3 years ago you can still participate in the conversations.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:18 am

The main issue I have with weekly threads is I feel it would impede addressing a comic individually. I feel that if I made a thread for every comic in a certain week then it would be harder to address all the various points in every comic that week I may feel like talking about without making the first post a case of "too long: didn't read", and afterward that the individual comics in each week would receive less attention then they would as separate threads if it was all laid out at once. I suppose that making one thread for a week and updating it with a link and post about a new comic every day of that week would be possible, but I think it would still reduce the conversation on any one comic, and it seems a bit weird to me to do it that way.

Not that this whole thing isn't a bit weird anyway.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nocturn on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:15 am

Consider the following scenario:

An artist with a particularly strong love for the comic joins the forum. Eager individual that he is, he produces new fan-art for the comic every day, and for every piece of artwork, he creates a new thread.

Why shouldn't he? This is not a rhetoric question, I want an explicit answer for this.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mdm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Ummm....I guess because Dan would get annoyed with the sheer amount of new topics that would appear, causing the forum's size to drastically increase?
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Also, starting threads complaining about other threads doesn't exactly reduce the amount of stuff you have to scroll past to get at what you're interested in. :)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ForkBomb on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 pm

By that argument, I shouldn't ask my neighbour to turn the music down, as I would be adding to the noise by asking.
If this thread succeeds in getting the noise reduced, then its noise will have been worth it. If not then the tide of spam will quickly bury it.
Being able to take a step away from our goal in order to get nearer is one of those things that makes us smarter than dogs.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tricia on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm

*ignores the ad hominem attacks*

I think that it's fine for people who have just started reading or what ever to post a story thread. I mean they tend to go off topic pretty fast that even if your not interested in comics from 3 years ago you can still participate in the conversations.
...which is another reason for them to be consolidated. There's *really* not that much to talk about in each individual comic.

The main issue I have with weekly threads is I feel it would impede addressing a comic individually. I feel that if I made a thread for every comic in a certain week then it would be harder to address all the various points in every comic that week I may feel like talking about without making the first post a case of "too long: didn't read", and afterward that the individual comics in each week would receive less attention then they would as separate threads if it was all laid out at once. I suppose that making one thread for a week and updating it with a link and post about a new comic every day of that week would be possible, but I think it would still reduce the conversation on any one comic, and it seems a bit weird to me to do it that way.
Let's face facts. How much conversation really *is* going on in each of those threads? How many of them even go past a single page? Would consolidating them *really* hurt matters?

mdm wrote:Ummm....I guess because Dan would get annoyed with the sheer amount of new topics that would appear, causing the forum's size to drastically increase?
...and how is this different than the sheer amount of new topics *already* appearing with the "S.T.O.R.Y." threads?
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Nocturn wrote:Consider the following scenario:

An artist with a particularly strong love for the comic joins the forum. Eager individual that he is, he produces new fan-art for the comic every day, and for every piece of artwork, he creates a new thread.

Why shouldn't he? This is not a rhetoric question, I want an explicit answer for this.

My answer to this would be that it's all on the same subject, being that person's fan-art. However the S.T.O.R.Y. threads are not fan-art. They are commentary on the comic strips, and like all other reaction threads to the strips, fillers, NP strips, and often news posts as well I have been giving each strip its own thread. The difference here is the time the comic was made.
Tricia wrote:
mdm wrote:Ummm....I guess because Dan would get annoyed with the sheer amount of new topics that would appear, causing the forum's size to drastically increase?
...and how is this different than the sheer amount of new topics *already* appearing with the "S.T.O.R.Y." threads?

On this topic: currently there are about 21 topics below the string of these threads at this time (not including the locked one) and 5 topics (including this one) above them, with 3 threads spread out inbetween. This suggests to me that while it may be that each topic individually is not receiving that many posts they are still making up a good portion of the current forum discussion.
Chaos Priestess wrote:The main issue I have with weekly threads is I feel it would impede addressing a comic individually. I feel that if I made a thread for every comic in a certain week then it would be harder to address all the various points in every comic that week I may feel like talking about without making the first post a case of "too long: didn't read", and afterward that the individual comics in each week would receive less attention then they would as separate threads if it was all laid out at once. I suppose that making one thread for a week and updating it with a link and post about a new comic every day of that week would be possible, but I think it would still reduce the conversation on any one comic, and it seems a bit weird to me to do it that way.
Let's face facts. How much conversation really *is* going on in each of those threads? How many of them even go past a single page? Would consolidating them *really* hurt matters?

Well, to be honest I don't really know that it would. Seeing if it does would help resolve the issue as far as I'm concerned, so as a trial run I'll go ahead and make one thread to use for the rest of the S.T.O.R.Y. posts for March, 2002 with a new link to a comic added at the same interval the topics are being made now. Who knows, having less threads might help the conversations. Expect it up in a few minutes.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:15 pm

I personally don't mind the large amount of S.T.O.R.Y. threads. After all, it's not like there's much else going on in the forum right now.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby DemonicAngel on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:50 pm

Yeah, I agree. I only joined the forums early last year, and thus missed all of the early comics threads. It's fun to read the discussions on comics long since past, especially now that we have the benefit of more recent comics to compare with, and lend weight to our speculations.
DemonicAngela - Gender changed bunny
Warning: Read this, and lose the game.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Darekun on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:16 am

Nightranger wrote:I personally don't mind the large amount of S.T.O.R.Y. threads. After all, it's not like there's much else going on in the forum right now.

I think "not much else is going on" is the only reason they're taking even the slice that they're actually taking. The comic this forum is devoted to is essentially on hiatus; "new business" is going to be quieter than "old business". I say wait until another handful of story comics, and see how it goes then. I suspect all but a couple of STORY threads will get pushed down.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:45 am

Well, either way, thanks for at least giving it a shot. It may or may not work out...but at least you were willing to give it a shot. :)
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Man on the Moon on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:08 am

Nocturn wrote:Consider the following scenario:

Why should I listen to you? You're HITLER!

Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:26 am

No, she's Eva Braun. Haven't you been paying attention?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to El Goonish Shive