[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/18/02] Wakey Wakey

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/18/02] Wakey Wakey

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:34 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020318.html

Say what you like about its appearance but you at least have to admit that Grace's mental alarm clock is very good at its job. Sure, she may develop a fear of ever falling asleep again, but she gets up on time!
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 3/18/02] Wakey Wakey

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:47 pm

It is around this stage that the first real plot of EGS gets moving. Also we start to see more of the strength of these characters. Even lacking in physical training, Sarah keeps a cool head in a crisis and manages to get Grace to safety; not much later, we see Elliot reacting to the fact that Sarah was in danger and he wasn't there to protect her.

Also Nanase will be introduced soon. :)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 pm

The Old Hack wrote:It is around this stage that the first real plot of EGS gets moving. Also we start to see more of the strength of these characters. Even lacking in physical training, Sarah keeps a cool head in a crisis and manages to get Grace to safety; not much later, we see Elliot reacting to the fact that Sarah was in danger and he wasn't there to protect her.

Also Nanase will be introduced soon. :)

Damn you and your unmarked spoilers! *shakes fist*

*shifty eyes*
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyofNonSequitur on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 am

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020318.html

Say what you like about its appearance but you at least have to admit that Grace's mental alarm clock is very good at its job. Sure, she may develop a fear of ever falling asleep again, but she gets up on time!

But why does it decide she needs to wake up right then? Or does it only let her sleep a certain amount of time before waking her? Those are the sorts of things people should consider before purchasing and installing nightmare-based alarm clocks.
Image Please click on these little dragons/dragon eggs!
Inventory:
a TF Gun
a squirrel teddy
a cookie in shiny wrapper
a sixpack of unlabeled soda
a dead fish
a mood ring
a ball of yarn
a catnip mouse
a full collection of Non-Sequitur comics
a Pouch of Infinite Apples
a hand-forged pocketknife (now with Molecular Edge Technology(tm)!)
a 30m coil of braided Kevlar marine rope
LadyofNonSequitur
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:16 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Creepy.

== Oct, 2008 ==

Crystal: Okay, I know the skull-thing represents part of Grace's alien heritage, but anyone know why it looked all evil and skull-like until after Painted Black?
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mdm on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Probably because the Lespuko's true appearance wasn't revealed until Sleepy Time?
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 pm

ChronosCat wrote:Crystal: Okay, I know the skull-thing represents part of Grace's alien heritage, but anyone know why it looked all evil and skull-like until after Painted Black?

I'd assume it's just another of those things that Dan wasn't quite sure what it wanted to look like, or his vision of it changed, or whatever. Like Grace's brothers.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dragonstar on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:49 pm

I figured it was that in sleepy time, she confronted it and wasn't scared, so it changed.

In fact, part one of her dream it was evil and skull-like, then changed when she confronted it.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Dragonstar wrote:I figured it was that in sleepy time, she confronted it and wasn't scared, so it changed.

In fact, part one of her dream it was evil and skull-like, then changed when she confronted it.

Yeah, I was trying to remember when that was and how it went without an archive trawl... The thing is, the set of strips is obviously symbolic, but we aren't told what it means. Did Dan ever actually explain, or is this one of those things we're supposed to individually figure out for ourselves?
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:27 am

ChronosCat wrote:Yeah, I was trying to remember when that was and how it went without an archive trawl... The thing is, the set of strips is obviously symbolic, but we aren't told what it means. Did Dan ever actually explain, or is this one of those things we're supposed to individually figure out for ourselves?

I personally rather like not having everything explained. Having some room to speculate and imagine in makes me happy and can keep me occupied for long hours. :) Mind you, sometimes authors do manage to convey unintended impressions this way. (Analyst: "This image clearly shows that the author is having incestous imaginings of sex with his brother whom he has lifelong wished was actually a girl." Author: "Uh...")
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 am

The Old Hack wrote:I personally rather like not having everything explained. Having some room to speculate and imagine in makes me happy and can keep me occupied for long hours. :)

I hate questions that stay open like that, and they're the reason I've stopped reading EGS twice(for a couple years at a time). I'd rather have them answered in the Extended Universe, or something like that.

That said, I do think Grace's dream is pretty darn clear-cut. She faces her (unconscious) demonization of her lespuko side, but is no longer afraid of it, so it dissolves, leaving the reality of her lespuko side. That she accepts(and, perhaps pun intended, embraces), and then she moves on.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:58 am

ChronosCat wrote:
Dragonstar wrote:I figured it was that in sleepy time, she confronted it and wasn't scared, so it changed.

Yeah, I was trying to remember when that was and how it went without an archive trawl... The thing is, the set of strips is obviously symbolic, but we aren't told what it means. Did Dan ever actually explain, or is this one of those things we're supposed to individually figure out for ourselves?

I have two competing explanations.

One is that the skull is affected by Grace's self-image. She seems to initially regard herself as some kind of monster. This could be originating in her regarding Damien as family, and worsened by the dormant Lespuko in her, which her pacifist side would rail against.

On the other hand, it could be explained away by stylistic changes in Dan's art. It evolved quite strongly between first introducing the alien skull and Grace's dream of reconciliation with her Lespuko side.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby rista-liehna on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:21 am

Maybe the horns were there, not because Grace was scared, but because the lespuko was?
After all, it held on to its scary form until it figured out that she was hugging it, even though she stopped being afraid before the dream began.
rista-liehna
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:15 pm

rista-liehna wrote:Maybe the horns were there, not because Grace was scared, but because the lespuko was?

Very possible, and I like that idea! After all, what makes many monsters dangerous is the fact that they themselves are also afraid.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Well, her omega form has the two side horns, so it may represent that. However, the center forehead horn cannot be explained thusly. (I like the term thusly . . . I need to use it more often)
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Darekun wrote:That said, I do think Grace's dream is pretty darn clear-cut. She faces her (unconscious) demonization of her lespuko side, but is no longer afraid of it, so it dissolves, leaving the reality of her lespuko side. That she accepts(and, perhaps pun intended, embraces), and then she moves on.

Except I think there was something somewhere that indicated that lespuko naturally have horns and claws and what-not (perhaps something Dan posted). I think the dream is more her facing her lespuko side and forcing it dormant again. Remember, Nioi said that it was originally dormant but ceased to be so when Grace flipped during PB. With the power of kindness, or some such, I guess.

My guess is that her lespuko side started to become slightly "less dormant" when Damien slaughtered everyone at the nest. This, combined with her self-loathing of her abilities (also most-likely due to the same event), explains the dreams.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Return to El Goonish Shive