[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/17/02] Dr. Verres?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/17/02] Dr. Verres?

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020317.html

So much exposition... @_@

Hmm... thinking about what Mr. Verres said in panel seven makes me wonder, does he have some medical knowledge? He says his job when he infiltrated the project was keeping track of Grace's health, so did he go to medical school, or is he just really good at faking it? If he does have education in that area I wonder what it was exactly that he learned? Pediatrics? Nursing?
...Veterinary medicine? :shifty:

Also, what is the shadowy figure in the second panel is supposed to be. A theoretical blueprint of some other mix they never went through with, possibly? A generic werewolf that was used as a symbol for the project? Dan just sticking in shadowy red eyed figures?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 3/17/02] Dr. Verres?

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:33 am

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020317.html

So much exposition... @_@

Hmm... thinking about what Mr. Verres said in panel seven makes me wonder, does he have some medical knowledge? He says his job when he infiltrated the project was keeping track of Grace's health, so did he go to medical school, or is he just really good at faking it?

He is the best there is. He wore a t-shirt that read, "Expert geneticist and *not* a secret government agent infiltrating the company."
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 am

Huh, maybe I never read the wall of text in it's entirity before. Never noticed that Damien was born in a different facility and that Grace considered Damien to be a human.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby LadyofNonSequitur on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:22 pm

You know, if Grace considered Damien human, perhaps that explains that she is not at all concerned when Tedd starts glowing.
Image Please click on these little dragons/dragon eggs!
Inventory:
a TF Gun
a squirrel teddy
a cookie in shiny wrapper
a sixpack of unlabeled soda
a dead fish
a mood ring
a ball of yarn
a catnip mouse
a full collection of Non-Sequitur comics
a Pouch of Infinite Apples
a hand-forged pocketknife (now with Molecular Edge Technology(tm)!)
a 30m coil of braided Kevlar marine rope
LadyofNonSequitur
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Come to think of it, we don't really know what Damien was. Just that he other than his weird skin color and claws he looked human, and he had freaky fire and regeneration powers. We don't even know how he was made. While I doubt that Damien was right about being a god, I don't think we even know if he was made through Magic or Science! He was just kinda there to be evil and get his butt kicked afterward.
Tuitsuro wrote:Huh, maybe I never read the wall of text in it's entirity before.

That's the downside to long exposition like that. While it can be interesting and informative it can also be really easy to overlook something.

Actually thinking about this comic has got me wondering about a few other things as well. The organization that created Grace and her brothers was not, as far as I tell, a part of the government. Yet they knew about Uryuoms which means that somewhere along the line Mr. Verres' masquerade has failed. The group that created Damien may have just held chimeras and Uryuoms in its ranks, but the group that created Grace had humans in it. So, just how well spread is knowledge about the Uryuoms anyway?

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Actually thinking about this comic has got me wondering about a few other things as well. The organization that created Grace and her brothers was not, as far as I tell, a part of the government. Yet they knew about Uryuoms which means that somewhere along the line Mr. Verres' masquerade has failed. The group that created Damien may have just held chimeras and Uryuoms in its ranks, but the group that created Grace had humans in it. So, just how well spread is knowledge about the Uryuoms anyway?

The answer to this question is unfortunately very plain. Cheap cotton t-shirts did not become widely available until after the invention of the cotton gin and industrialised weaving; also we do not even know if they used the idea of printing clever misinformation on t-shirts before Mr. Verres' time, or if he was the actual originator of the idea. Thus it stands to reason that the Masquerade must have been leaking before that.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:08 am

Or maybe some people are intelligent enough *not* to fall for such a completely stupid "cover-up".
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:11 pm

There was an Uryuom in the organization. Kind of hard to conceal his own existence from him.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Well yes, obviously he knew, but the point I'm trying to make is about all of the humans in the organization that knew as well. At the very least Dr. Sciuridae knew about them, but there more humans in that organization then just him. I doubt he and Mr. Guyur were the only ones working who knew how their assassins were being born, so other people knew as well. So, when did they discover there was alien life on Earth, how did they discover it, and just how secret is the government secret?

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dragonstar on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:55 am

Chaos Priest wrote:Well yes, obviously he knew, but the point I'm trying to make is about all of the humans in the organization that knew as well. At the very least Dr. Sciuridae knew about them, but there more humans in that organization then just him. I doubt he and Mr. Guyur were the only ones working who knew how their assassins were being born, so other people knew as well. So, when did they discover there was alien life on Earth, how did they discover it, and just how secret is the government secret?

Possibly a rogue element within the government or ex-government, similar to that group in the Stargate universe whose name escapes me.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aeg'air on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:05 am

Genii?
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Xylric on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:00 am

Dragonstar wrote:
Chaos Priest wrote:Well yes, obviously he knew, but the point I'm trying to make is about all of the humans in the organization that knew as well. At the very least Dr. Sciuridae knew about them, but there more humans in that organization then just him. I doubt he and Mr. Guyur were the only ones working who knew how their assassins were being born, so other people knew as well. So, when did they discover there was alien life on Earth, how did they discover it, and just how secret is the government secret?

Possibly a rogue element within the government or ex-government, similar to that group in the Stargate universe whose name escapes me.

You'd be talking about the NID, which was the precursor to the Trust.
Never battle a pyrokinetic in a fireworks factory.

Inventory:
1 TF Gun, 1 Cookie wrapped in plastic, 1 Dead Fish, 1 Squirrel Teddy, 6 cans of Unlabeled Soda, 1 Uryuom Work Suit, 1 clockwork cube, 1 TF buster mod Kit, Blue Plasma Pen, Infinite dice bag, catnip mouse, ball of green yarn,1 Uryuom Work Suit, 1 Enchanted Diamond Katana

Personal effects:
Artemis-grade Dattoos, and a Wraith. Ask for details!
Xylric
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: The currently burning, former gleaming, towers of scholarly might

Postby Dragonstar on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Xylric wrote:
Dragonstar wrote:

You'd be talking about the NID, which was the precursor to the Trust.

The Trust was what I was thinking of. The Genii are a separate human civilization in the Pegasus galaxy.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:35 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Fascinating. I like the color scheme, too.

== Oct, 2008 ==

Crystal: Looking back on this, I was surprised by how little of it has actually been retconed.

Probably about as secret as Area 51 is these days. "Military base? This is just a empty dry lake bed. But you still can't come in."

Come to think of it, that's sort of similar to Mr. Verres T-shirts. Maybe the T-shirts don't have any magical power, it's just a way the government can say that they're still keeping it a secret. Or Mr. Verres was responsible for the Area 51 "coverup".
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DemonicAngel on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I like how you can look at Area 51 using Google Earth...

Anyway. The reason Mr. Tail wasn't able to cover up his alien-ness is simple. In all the shots we see of him, he isn't wearing a Verres' shirt!
DemonicAngela - Gender changed bunny
Warning: Read this, and lose the game.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to El Goonish Shive