[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/15/02] Best game since Strip Monopoly

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/15/02] Best game since Strip Monopoly

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:41 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020315.html

I still wonder how that game would work. Maybe if your opponent manages to spell an article of clothing you have to take it off? That would make something like bras or pants probably go fairly quickly, but a sweater would likely last a while. And no wearing clothing over 8 letters in length. Game still goes to the person with the highest score at the end, but the strip part would encourage you to get to those words first. Or maybe something with the scoring system would work better.

Now Strip Monopoly is easy. You start out in your underwear, and every piece of property you buy allows you to put on one more piece of clothing/jewelery. Once you start mortgaging properties though you have to take them back off, and if you go bankrupt then everything goes.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 3/15/02] Best game since Strip Monopoly

Postby Nightranger on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Strip Monopoly...that may be somewhat realistic. You know, I'm really kinda suprised we haven't drawn up an official set of strip-scrabble rules yet. Just for the geekiness of creating rules for a fictional game.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:12 pm

• On your turn, you can take one letter from the board and add it to your rack, at the cost of removing one item of clothing. The stripping will naturally tune to the comfort level of the players, but this doesn't work well as an icebreaker with shy players.
  • On your turn, instead of playing a word, you can discard your letters and get a completely new set, at the cost of removing one item. A minimum word length will very nicely increase the stripping in this variant.
  • Any time a word you played isn't in the dictionary, remove one item. A minimum word length will work with this variant, but not as well.
  • Any time you get a bonus square(Triple Word Score or the like), pick one other player, and they must remove one item. This is even simpler with just two players.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Jake R on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 am

Darekun wrote:
  • On your turn, you can take one letter from the board and add it to your rack, at the cost of removing one item of clothing.

Here's the thing though; how will your rack hold the letter if you have to remove what's keeping the rack together?
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mdm on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Ah, strip-scrabble: the (un)official game of Bunny-dom.

Well, that or transgendered spin-the-bottle.
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:36 pm

I thought Goonmanji was our (un)official game.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 pm

I am somewhat reminded of a bad science fiction resource management game I once got suckered into wasting money on. Practically every planet you colonised at first had an agricultural rating of 'hard scrabble.' I was in a somewhat foul mood due to being unimpressed with the game and groused to a friend of mine who was watching me play, "What's that supposed to mean, they all have to play scrabble without the vowels?"

(Come to think of it, that could be a basis for strip scrabble. Consonants are free but vowels cost clothes. Or something.)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:49 pm

Would you like to buy a vowel? ;)

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:I thought Goonmanji was our (un)official game.

I thought TF-gun tag was our official ungame.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Perhaps we should just have lots of official/unofficial games. :)

edit: the TFG does look kind of like a laser-tag gun, doesn't it?

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Yep57 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:19 am

^Yep.:)

Anyway, I guess you guys are also forgetting the OTHER unoficial goon game:

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080716.html ;)
HENSHIN! an iconic phrase literally meaning "transfomation" or "transform" in Japanese.
Yep57
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aeg'air on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:31 pm

No no no. that's our (official) unofficial game.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: What does Sarah think Tedd did to Grace? Does she think he's responsible for Grace passing out or something?

Also, I didn't know Scrabble was all that great, it always sounded lame to me. Maybe I should try it one of these days.

== Oct, 2008 ==

Crystal: You'll notice despited Tedd's reputation, it never occurred to me that Grace's furry form might be the result of Tedd's mad science.

And so the legend of "Strip Scrabble" is born! Speaking of Scrabble, I've yet to play the game. Maybe if there were some workable rules to Strip Scrabble and I had enough friends that would be crazy enough to play it...?
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mdm on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Off Topic: Chronos, why do you always put Spring 2006 and ----, 2008 in your posts?
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:21 pm

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the 2006 date is his original thoughs when he first read the archive, and the current date is his thoughts now, with the benefit of knowing everything else that has happened so far.

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm

It isn't a guess, he/she even explained it. Stuff dated 2006 is Chronos reading it in chronological order during his first archive binge. 2008 is a sex-changed, time-travelling Chronos reading it with the benefit of hindsight.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:12 pm

mdm wrote:Off Topic: Chronos, why do you always put Spring 2006 and ----, 2008 in your posts?
I was just asked that recently in an IM. I guess it goes to prove that some of the newbies since the first S.T.O.R.Y. thread have filtered out of the Newbie Thread into Main. (Even though I greet everyone, I sometimes forget a person is new after that.)

nitpicking wrote:It isn't a guess, he/she even explained it. Stuff dated 2006 is Chronos reading it in chronological order during his first archive binge. 2008 is a sex-changed, time-travelling Chronos reading it with the benefit of hindsight.

Correct. Specifically (to quote my explanatory IM, with some minor fixes),

In the first few "S.T.O.R.Y." threads (the very first can be found here; my post is on the fourth page), everyone was writing as if they had just read the strip for the first time, and were commenting like in any reaction thread. I decided to get in on the action, and traveled back in time to spring of 2006 when I first read EGS to interview myself on what I thought of the early strips.

Over time, it became tiresome writing over and over again about my time-traveling and interacting with myself, so I eventually just shortened it to a section with my original thoughts, followed by a section with my current thoughts and any comments on the thread.

I wonder how long before I have to explain again? (Maybe I should say something in my sig?)
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rista-liehna on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 am

Personally I thought the 2006/2008 thing was fairly self-explanatory.
rista-liehna
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 am

Not really cos I was more wondering the different names and stuff, still if crystal wants a link for it I've still got the IM answer.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive