Thank You Dan

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Thank You Dan

Postby Huzzus on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:55 pm

I just wanted to thank Dan. Thanks to EGS, I got an A on my first big programming project this year. I've been taking a class for Programming with Visual Basic and with everything we learned so far, we had to make a program about anything. What I made was a EGS profile program along with stats and a little quiz with over a few hundred questions. It's pretty simple but simple is all I know, you can't do more of the complex things in 5 weeks. Despite being simple, I got the A by the amount of info and the attention to detail and with little to no bugs. The only bug was the Quiz due to adding over 100 questions and once and awhile the same question appeared. This happened cause I had to randomize the 100+ questions so only 10 showed and it would change every time you ran the program or clicked the "New Quiz" button.

I know nobody cares but I just had to thank Dan for creating EGS and all the great characters involved ^_^

Just hopefully I can get it on my computer and share my work someday.
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Thank You Dan

Postby DarkShive on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:03 pm

You are quite welcome, and I am glad you did well on your project ^_^
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby The Old Hack on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Congratulations, and kudos for a creative way of turning a potentially dull project into fun. :)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:58 pm

See, since each question is assigned a unique number, it's really easy to check the list and swap out any dupes ... wait, I don't teach programming any more, do I?

Congrats on the "A", Huzzus.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ForkBomb on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:55 am

Cool.
Now stick it online so we an all do the quiz :).
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Huzzus on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:32 pm

ForkBomb wrote:Cool.
Now stick it online so we an all do the quiz :).

Well, three problems, I used pictures from a EGS fan site, I have bio's from fan sites, wikipedia and myself and EGS belongs to Dan. In order for me to post it outside the realm of my school, I have to get permission from The people who made the fan site and Dan. At least that's what my teacher wants me to acquire to send it outside the school site.

DarkShive wrote:You are quite welcome, and I am glad you did well on your project ^_^

Thanks ^_^ I had a hell of a time explaining the TF Gun and Ellen and a bunch of stuff related to Damien and Lord Tedd. Thats what I get for having a nosy teacher but explaining the TF Gun and Ellen was easy. Damien and the "Painted Black" stuff was a bit harder and I avoided Lord Tedd at all costs.
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ForkBomb on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Dump the images or use ones from here. Ask dan. Wikipedia is CC-BY-something and worst case you have to rewrite the blurb. Got the be plenty of blurb writers floating around here.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BtEtta on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Damn, I remember failing, or getting lacklustre marks, in many assignments at university due to being given an assignment that completely disinterested me[1] – It's a lot easier to write code for a course when you're interested in what you're writing.

[1] Being told to make an client/server implementation of RFC 2324 (that naturally didn't actually produce any coffee) was about the worst example; it's a joke specification that has no practical use, and I don't even like coffee anyway. The referral assignment implementing RFC 2030 I found much easier to knock off, shame marking was limited on referrals.
BtEtta
Keenspot Despot

Postby Huzzus on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Sorry to bring this back up but I finally managed to get Visual Basic on my home computer. Don't ask me how I got it *shifts eyes* but it's the same version at my school so hopefully tomorrow I can send the code to myself at my home and tweak it so I can post it here or some site that will let you guys download it. I might take awhile cause I'm going to get the images myself and I only did the 8 main character for the Bio *due to time restraints* and I wanted to get as many characters as humanly possible. Just keep an eye out for a new thread when it's done so you can enjoy the first ever El Goonish Shive Ultimate Fan Program ^w^
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sanzennin on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:42 am

nitpicking wrote:See, since each question is assigned a unique number, it's really easy to check the list and swap out any dupes ... wait, I don't teach programming any more, do I?

Congrats on the "A", Huzzus.

Funny, that was the first thing I thought too...

Meh, ya got to be slacking of if you cant make anything too complicated in 5 weeks... Well, cant say without seeing, so I'll just be quiet about that :)

Reminded me about how I was doing this one programming job, well, there wasn't too much programming to be done when I was transferring/transforming/whatever this one webpage from one format to another using my bosses program, taking notes at same time and tell about any bugs and what things annoy the user, the usual stuff you know.
Well, the webpage I was transferring had 3 languages. Transferring first language took around 2 days, second took 1, and third also took just 1. But when I checked the outcome at 5th day, all the 3 versions were just the 3rd language, as my boss had forgotten to mention one "little" piece of the code that still has to be changed manually. So I guess you can really spent 5 weeks doing something simple... :wink:
Sanzennin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Yep57 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Nice job! Glad you got a good grade on the project.
HENSHIN! an iconic phrase literally meaning "transfomation" or "transform" in Japanese.
Yep57
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Huzzus on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Yep57 wrote:Nice job! Glad you got a good grade on the project.

Thanks and to go off-topic, I want your icon <3
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive