[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/1/02] Banned? Do Wanna Know.

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 3/1/02] Banned? Do Wanna Know.

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:42 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020301.html

Come on, what did he do? Did he get caught eyeballing the mannequins one too many times? Or maybe he was carefully going through the lingerie section looking for that perfect item? In his defense I think it's likely he was just shopping for clothes for his female form at the time, and didn't go as a girl because either he didn't have the right clothing at the time of his banning or he was too embarrassed at the thought of being a girl in public.

On another note, does Grace have an addictive personality? She certainly got hooked on Black & White quickly enough, and Grace is pretty much Dan's author insert and he's used that reason for why he won't drink. If she does get addicted easily then I think Mr. Verres may have made a mistake in giving her coffee. A bubbly, hyperactive squirrel-girl is bad enough without a caffeine addiction thrown into the mix.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 3/1/02] Banned? Do Wanna Know.

Postby Nightranger on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:57 pm

If his reaction when Matt came to deliver the pizzas is any indication (or how long Elliot and Sarah knew him without knowing about his recreational gender bending, or his reaction when his dad "outed" him), he definitely doesn't want to be seen as a girl.

I assume he was just shopping for girl clothes, but there's one thing that makes me wonder a bit:
woundn't everyone there just assume that he is a girl?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nasrudith on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 pm

My guess is his dad didn't want him to go out transformed in public so he went shoping with the TFG in a backpack. He ended up going shopping for women's clothing and ended up creeping out the normal clientèle so much he got banned.
Currently Nass for Sister II.
Vote Dan Shive for president of the united states! Who cares that he is too young to run!
XP: 485
Inventory: Newbie Kit with, TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On. 5 Sharpened Brownies
Favorite EGS Comic
Quotes:
"Please tell me it has nothing to with your current lack of pants."
The Slowly in Progress El Goonish GURPs feedback is appreciated by pm or posts.
Nasrudith
Keenspot Despot

Postby mdm on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Knowing Tedd, that is a likely scenario.
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Shadowhamster on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020301.html

Come on, what did he do? Did he get caught eyeballing the mannequins one too many times? Or maybe he was carefully going through the lingerie section looking for that perfect item? In his defense I think it's likely he was just shopping for clothes for his female form at the time, and didn't go as a girl because either he didn't have the right clothing at the time of his banning or he was too embarrassed at the thought of being a girl in public.

On another note, does Grace have an addictive personality? She certainly got hooked on Black & White quickly enough, and Grace is pretty much Dan's author insert and he's used that reason for why he won't drink. If she does get addicted easily then I think Mr. Verres may have made a mistake in giving her coffee. A bubbly, hyperactive squirrel-girl is bad enough without a caffeine addiction thrown into the mix.

Grace is Dan's insert character?!?!?! :o

I had no idea! I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually really serious.

I always assumed it was Tedd(small being a trade in for girly looking) or even Elliot, or a combination of the two. That's if one even existed.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love.
Gone savage for teenagers who are aesthetically pleasing,
in other words, fly" - Soul Coughing.
Shadowhamster
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Shadowhamster wrote:
Chaos Priestess wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020301.html

I always assumed it was Tedd(small being a trade in for girly looking) or even Elliot, or a combination of the two. That's if one even existed.

I refer you to this filler comic.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Shadowhamster on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:
Shadowhamster wrote:

:shifty:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Check out the test to find out who you are!
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love.
Gone savage for teenagers who are aesthetically pleasing,
in other words, fly" - Soul Coughing.
Shadowhamster
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Darekun on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Shadowhamster wrote:Grace is Dan's insert character?!?!?! :o

Well, Grace is a magical girlfriend, which usually points to the lucky guy as the insert, but Grace is a bit on the Mary Sue side for a magical girlfriend...

I suspect there's no planned insert character, and Grace's excesses are a combination of Dan's early ineptitude and her effectively puppy-dog-eyesing him.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:41 pm

That's what I'd say too.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:46 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Gee, what the heck was Tedd doing?!

Also, how does a cow eat villagers? Either that's a big cow, or those are very small villagers.

== Oct, 2008 ==

Chaos Priestess wrote:
Shadowhamster wrote:

Crystal: I've always assumed that was just a joke.
Last edited by ChronosCat on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:08 am

As have I. But simply because something was said in jest does not mean that there cannot be some small portion of truth within. After all, in the comic Dan uses a squirrel-person for his avatar, and it started out female. Many times a writer may project some of their characteristics, personality traits, ideals, and desires into their characters, especially when starting out. There wouldn't be nearly as many Mary Sues otherwise. But that is not to say that any one character contains all of an author's traits, or that Grace is all that similar to Dan. If Dan were pretty much Grace then that would imply he would want to have sweet man-on-squirrel-girl love with somebody like Tedd. Sorry, I realize I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes, especially so when I'm just making it all up. I guess...

...basically what I'm trying to say here is "I ship Tedd/fDan".

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ineluki on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:16 am

Dan's personality is pretty much spread out over the cast - which is only natural for a writer, especially when once is working so long on 1 cast of characters. I tend to think that the linked filler was more of a (past) wishful thinking. Again, very understandable, who wouldn't want to be a bubbly, fluffy squirrel-girl with a bushy tail ;)
And as for shipping: Ellen/Dan. She'd have the guts to give him a swift kick in the rear against all his fears, whenever necessary. Tedd would have a rather hard time dealing with his OCD...
now that reminds me, there was a fun sketch on deviantArt of those two (Ellen&Dan) on a dinner date once... :-}
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Return to El Goonish Shive