[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/21/02] A confusion of identity

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/21/02] A confusion of identity

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020221.html

He's willing to call the girl by what she said her name was a minute ago? That's so sweet :D

Seriously though, this makes me wonder, who exactly does Shade/Grace see herself as? Does she think of herself as Grace or does she see herself as Shade Tail while wanting to become Grace?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 2/21/02] A confusion of identity

Postby Ineluki on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:53 pm

I'll take Tedd's side here.... this is *still* confusing the heck ouf of me!
But yeah, I'm pretty sure she wants to become Grace, as you phrased it.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 am

Possibly she associates being called 'Grace' with a better time of her life, for example when her (then unknown to her) grandfather was still around.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:53 am

At this point in the comic, I think she thought of herself as Grace. But it'd be interesting to see if she still thinks of herself as Grace now, after it was explained that the original Grace died some two decades earlier. In a way, she's just as much a clone of the original Grace as Ellen is a clone of Elliot.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haylo on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:49 am

Tuitsuro wrote:At this point in the comic, I think she thought of herself as Grace. But it'd be interesting to see if she still thinks of herself as Grace now, after it was explained that the original Grace died some two decades earlier. In a way, she's just as much a clone of the original Grace as Ellen is a clone of Elliot.
Grace does (or her human component does) match the modern scientific definition of a clone - another individual made with the same genetic material, as Ellen originally matched the science-fiction definition, an exact duplicate of an existing individual, including memories, but that doesn't in either case force them to think of themselves that way.

My guess is that Grace, with her liking for humans, prefers to think of her experiences in normal human terms: “I’m Grace. I was named after my mother.”
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:53 am

Grace (current) is no more a clone of the original Grace than I am a clone of my grandfather. 1/4 of her DNA is from Grace(1).
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 am

nitpicking wrote:Grace (current) is no more a clone of the original Grace than I am a clone of my grandfather. 1/4 of her DNA is from Grace(1).

Although there is no actual statement regarding this, I suspect Grace retains more than the 1/4 (1/8?)expected share of each of her parents' genome. It's sort of required, since she can so fully emulate any of her parents. She has a full squirrel form and a full human form virtually identical with the dead Grace Sciuridae.

On the other hand, the lespuko form seems to be able to combine freely with any other form... but will not manifest itself as a "pure" form. Also, from what we've seen, the Uryuom side seems to only manifest in her transformation abilities and her antennae. Go fig.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby kyevan on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 am

Raging Mouse wrote:On the other hand, the lespuko form seems to be able to combine freely with any other form... but will not manifest itself as a "pure" form. Also, from what we've seen, the Uryuom side seems to only manifest in her transformation abilities and her antennae. Go fig.

I theorize that the coding for their native form is pretty weak, seeing as it doesn't matter much (comparitively)
Anyway, it's possible that Grace just has 160ish chromosomes. (Squirrels have 40, humans 46, I'm here assuming about 40 for each of uryuom and lespuko. Assuming they even bundle their genetic information the same way we do...)
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 am

If Grace(2) retains a full genome of both squirrel and human, she still isn't a clone of Grace(1).
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:57 am

I'm not saying she's a complete copy, a genetic clone, or even a twin. But her adopted-grandfather specifically used his daughter's DNA to effectively reincarnate the original Grace into the new seylunolu(sp) form; so it's not wholly inaccurate to say she's a clone of the original. That was his intent. The kicker issue is that she was named Grace for that very reason, because she was created to be like Grace Sciuridae. So is she really Grace now, or is she Grace the Second, or, does she still feel that Grace is even her true identity?
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:39 pm

Clone means "genetically identical organism". (Technically it means "group of genetically identical organisms.") Identical twins are clones. Plants raised from cuttings of the same parent plant are called a "clone". (That's where the term comes from).

What Grace(2) is, is Grace(1)'s daughter. That's why both she and Dr. Sciuridae call him her grandfather. He is.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Me, I just say Grace has a sufficiently-advanced biology. :P
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:34 pm

nitpicking wrote:Clone means "genetically identical organism". (Technically it means "group of genetically identical organisms.") Identical twins are clones. Plants raised from cuttings of the same parent plant are called a "clone". (That's where the term comes from).

What Grace(2) is, is Grace(1)'s daughter. That's why both she and Dr. Sciuridae call him her grandfather. He is.

Clone has more than the biological textbook meaning. Squirrel-Grace is not a biological clone, but she sure is a clone nevertheless of ghost-grace.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:00 pm

nitpicking wrote:Clone means "genetically identical organism". (Technically it means "group of genetically identical organisms.") Identical twins are clones. Plants raised from cuttings of the same parent plant are called a "clone". (That's where the term comes from).

You certainly live up to your name. :wink:
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 am

Tuitsuro wrote:You certainly live up to your name. :wink:

This is more about my being a biologist by training.

Clone has multiple meanings, but in this context you don't mean the Photoshop tool, so ....
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:21 am

Nope, I don't mean the Photoshop tool. I don't mean the biological definition either. That's why I said so in the last post.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:48 am

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: How sweet. I guess being seen as a person is more important to Grace than solving whatever her problem is - unless the two are somehow connected. (Darn, looks like she prefers "Grace". I still think "Shade" sounds cooler.)
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive