[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/17/02] What would you do?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/17/02] What would you do?

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:26 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020217.html

While panel five is amusing in this one I wonder: given a similar situation to the one is this comic, how would you act? If you had somebody approach you at night of whatever gender you find attractive, wearing nothing but a long coat and asking if you are [insert your name here], what would you do?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 2/17/02] What would you do?

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Offer shelter. Especially in the wintertime, which this was. I'd sit down strongly on any feelings of attraction I might experience, someone who is obviously in trouble like that needs help, not some Playah wannabe all over her/him.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:44 pm

lol, I love that run on... word.

If such a person was asking if I was "insert name x?" lol, I'd have to take Winston Zedimore's advice; "Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!"

Vaguely relevant Ghostbusters quotes aside, regardless if I was the individual she identified me as or not, I would say, in a tone of voice that strongly suggested I was lying for personal benefit, but really just to be funny, with a big grin on my face "Yes. Yes I am!" Hopefully that'd get a laugh, and I'd follow up with "Actually, not really." Then I'd help her if I could.

Of course, if I actually was the person she was looking for, and she was highly attractive, and she was not yet known to me, I'd probably answer in some default affirmative while I waited for my brain to reboot. Unlike The Old Hack, I've got a suspicious streak in me, so once my brain had rebooted, I'd likely try to ascertain her identity and reason for seeking me out before actually allowing her inside my dwelling. I've also got a trusting streak, so I'd probably take whatever she had to say at face value, and help however I could.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 pm

My reaction would probably start with something like "umm...yeah," then continue similar to what's already been said.

Also, well...what did you think when you read the thread title?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tuitsuro on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:31 pm

The only way I see this happening is if it was an abuse situation ( well, given that it's a relatively *innocent* scenario ) . Depending on the severity and immediacy of the situation, I'd probably offer whatever assistance I could, and then call the police.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:39 am

Tuitsuro wrote:The only way I see this happening is if it was an abuse situation ( well, given that it's a relatively *innocent* scenario ) .

I think it is safe to say Grace was escaping from an abuse situation, yes. :(
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shadowhamster on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 pm

I'd be concerned and intrigued all at once. I think that would be enough to kill any hesitancy I might have due to the idea that I'm being tricked for some purpose.

Problem is I'm usually not the most open of people. I'd help her in general ways, and she might scare me if she gets past my masks as it were.
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love.
Gone savage for teenagers who are aesthetically pleasing,
in other words, fly" - Soul Coughing.
Shadowhamster
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Turey on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:42 pm

My reaction would probably be pretty similar to Tedd's. Once she was actually inside the house though, my brain would resume working and I'd be much more reasonable and less creepy.
Turey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:15 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Well, the plot really thickens here. Lots of questions, and only one way to get answers - hit the "next" button! Don't think we'll get an answer to how Tedd figured out Grace wasn't wearing anything under that coat though...

== Sept, 2008 ==

Crystal: As I implied above, it wouldn't have occurred to me that she didn't have anything on under the coat. I would have wondered why she was running around barefoot in the cold, though.

If she specifically asked to go in, I would have agreed, but I wouldn't have brought it up, seeing as she was a stranger.

Learning she was naked under the coat, I would have been even more concerned - she's obviously either in a lot of trouble, or dangerously irrational. I would have allowed her in but been quite cautious until I found out why she wanted to see me and why she didn't have any clothes.

...By the way, I still like the Alternate Version of this strip...
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Man on the Moon on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:28 pm

I would step back, make sure the holster at my waist is visible to her, then reply "Yeah, I'm [name]". It's dark, I don't know you, and you're at my house - I can be polite and helpful after I'm sure you're not about to stab me.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Geeklust on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:08 am

The age and gender of the person would make a huge difference for me. I'm attracted to both men and women, but if a guy shows up in a trenchcoat outside my house asking for me I have to be honest, I doubt I'd let him in. I'm not even sure I'd let him know I was the person he was looking for, might just say I know the person he speaks of. I'd also be highly suspicious of a women but quicker on the letting in the house, though I would avoid it if I could. If the girl is of teenage age or younger however I might let her in quite a bit easier, the guy perhaps if he were of even younger age..... I'm not sure how well attraction would play into any of it, I think I'm far too paranoid to let it play a part in my deciscion.

Pretty much though I would only let someone in who looks like I could take them on in a fight >_>
Geeklust
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:56 am

*newbie-glomps geeklust*
Pretty much though I would only let someone in who looks like I could take them on in a fight >_>

Yeah, that's what I just wanted to add, too. Physical superiority makes a lot of difference in decisions like that... too bad it can be so very deceiving.

Oh, btw, geeklust, you can head up to the newbie-thread for a proper welcome, if you want. :)
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:56 am

Ineluki wrote:*newbie-glomps geeklust*

Yeah, that's what I just wanted to add, too. Physical superiority makes a lot of difference in decisions like that... too bad it can be so very deceiving.

I admit, part of what would affect my reaction is my medical training, I used to be a paramedic. It was winter, cold enough for Tedd to be freezing even bundled up as he was. Thus no matter the size or apparent age of the person in the trenchcoat, she/he would be in grave danger of harm from exposure and might already be in immediate need of shelter to avoid frostbite. Thus: get person inside, bundle person up warm, make sure there is circulation in her/his extremities, have hot cocoa or the like available to sip, then ask questions.

And yeah, if this person intended me harm I would likely be in big trouble. I didn't claim that my reflexes are smart, after all. :shifty:
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Geeklust on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:12 pm

The Old Hack wrote:

I admit, part of what would affect my reaction is my medical training, I used to be a paramedic. It was winter, cold enough for Tedd to be freezing even bundled up as he was. Thus no matter the size or apparent age of the person in the trenchcoat, she/he would be in grave danger of harm from exposure and might already be in immediate need of shelter to avoid frostbite. Thus: get person inside, bundle person up warm, make sure there is circulation in her/his extremities, have hot cocoa or the like available to sip, then ask questions.

And yeah, if this person intended me harm I would likely be in big trouble. I didn't claim that my reflexes are smart, after all. :shifty:

I sort of forgot about the whole it being winter thing. ^^;

I'm usually pretty good at reading people to an extent so I have ok judgement when it comes to trustworthy people. I would be a lot quicker to let them in if they look cold or in pain, not to mention if that person is freezing their butt off even if they wanted to attack you their reflexes would probably be slowed a bit. I would keep an eye on them and still avoid telling them I'm the person they're looking for, but I may just have to relent on the letting them into the house bit.

If I were in Tedd's exact situation though with a
1. shivering
2. teenage
3. girl
asking for me I would be a lot quicker to let her in than any other hypothetical person I think.
Last edited by Geeklust on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geeklust
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Geeklust on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Oh, btw, geeklust, you can head up to the newbie-thread for a proper welcome, if you want. :)

XD
Thanks, I'll have to go do that ^_^
Geeklust
Junior Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive