[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/16/02] The age old argument

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/16/02] The age old argument

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:09 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020216.html

Lesbians vs. Waffles

This is a difficult matter to look at objectively, but if we are to come to a conclusion of any sort the pros and cons of both wafles and lesbians must be looked at without prejudice.

Waffles
+ can be covered with things such as whipped cream, chocolate syrup, etc.
+ filling
+ fresh ones can be very tasty
+ can come with things like eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, etc. for a more complete meal
*best when hot
- fattening
- frozen ones are not so tasty
- may destroy cities
- may be the subject of really bad movies

Lesbians
+ can be covered with things such as whipped cream, chocolate syrup, etc.
+ fresh ones can be very alluring
+ can combine with various fetish objects for a more specialized appeal
+ may be the subject of good movies
* best when hot
-the only people who can fully enjoy lesbians are bisexual women and other lesbians. The demographic that wants them the most, men, are left out and there's nothing they can really do about it
- all the good points apply equally to non-lesbian women as well
- frozen ones are very disturbing, and may require a police inquiry
- may destroy cities
- more likely to be the subject of really bad movies

I'm believe I'm going to have to give this one to waffles, but if anybody wishes to make to argue the case now's the time to do so.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 2/16/02] The age old argument

Postby kyevan on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:-the only people who can fully enjoy lesbians are bisexual women and other lesbians. The demographic that wants them the most, men, are left out and there's nothing they can really do about it

Are we reading the same comic? This is EGS!
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Torgamus on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:29 pm

kyevan wrote:Are we reading the same comic? This is EGS!

"THIS! IS!! EGS!!!"

* V5-ZAP * *instead of kick*

:shifty:

Aaanyway, why not combine the two? Waffles AND lesbians?
Torgamus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nightranger on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:19 pm

This may be a bit out of the blue, but I must say, I think I'd rather like to see bundled-up Tedd drawn in Dan's current style and skill level. Just saying.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Let's see:

• I don't find any waffles particularly tasty
  • lesbians can also combine with additional lesbians, which is not true of heterosexual women, though it is true of bisexual women
  • enjoying lesbians qualifies as exercise
So I'm gonna have to vote that lesbians are better than waffles. I do admit to being biased, though :D
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:58 pm

I eat waffles several times a week, whereas

... I'm just going to stop right there.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Just imagine I did some long angry rant at you so I can move on.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Turey on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Nightranger wrote:This may be a bit out of the blue, but I must say, I think I'd rather like to see bundled-up Tedd drawn in Dan's current style and skill level. Just saying.

If you picked up the print book, one of the bonuses was a redrawn Tedd in coat + nude Grace.
Turey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kyevan on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:32 am

Turey wrote:
Nightranger wrote:This may be a bit out of the blue, but I must say, I think I'd rather like to see bundled-up Tedd drawn in Dan's current style and skill level. Just saying.

If you picked up the print book, one of the bonuses was a redrawn Tedd in coat + nude Grace.

That was in the Wowio edition, actually. The only copy I know of is in a place I can't link it without getting banned, sadly.
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:39 am

kyevan wrote:
Turey wrote:

That was in the Wowio edition, actually. The only copy I know of is in a place I can't link it without getting banned, sadly.

yes, but there is a strip slay of it... still exists linked in the slay thread... just gotta look for the right date ;)
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:18 am

That might be interesting. The coat apparently is enough to override the manliness of Tedd's glasses, so it's likely a fairly girly coat. That or the bulkiness of the coat makes it uncertain as to whether or not Tedd has breasts, and when uncertain about that people tend to assume he does. Of course they wouldn't necessarily be wrong in his case.
Nocturn wrote:*long angry rant inserted*

... :o

Geez Nocturn, keep it PG-13 here, please! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth of yours?!
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:08 am

kyevan wrote:
Turey wrote:

Gah! How could I forget that? I've even downloaded it.
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:07 am

Lesbians, just because they're more practical than waffles. If you get stuck on a desert island, one waffle will keep you fed for about half a day. If you're stuck on a desert island, one lesbian contains enough nutrition for at least 2/3 days, more if she's fat.

Inb4 eating a lesbian pun.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Man on the Moon on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:12 am

Torgamus wrote:"THIS! IS!! EGS!!!"

* V5-ZAP * *instead of kick*

No, no, no. See, kicking wasn't doing enough to discourage this, so we've had to upgrade.

Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kyevan on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:30 am

Illusionist wrote:Lesbians, just because they're more practical than waffles. If you get stuck on a desert island, one waffle will keep you fed for about half a day. If you're stuck on a desert island, one lesbian contains enough nutrition for at least 2/3 days, more if she's fat.

Eh, the issue's going to be water, really. And I don't think lesbians burn well enough to do the desalination trick where you evaporate the water and then catch the vapor, and let it condense.

WITCHES, on the other hand...
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:58 pm

kyevan wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Lesbians, just because they're more practical than waffles. If you get stuck on a desert island, one waffle will keep you fed for about half a day. If you're stuck on a desert island, one lesbian contains enough nutrition for at least 2/3 days, more if she's fat.

Eh, the issue's going to be water, really. And I don't think lesbians burn well enough to do the desalination trick where you evaporate the water and then catch the vapor, and let it condense.

WITCHES, on the other hand...

There's a somewhat obvious solution to this, I think...

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Man on the Moon on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Nightranger wrote:There's a somewhat obvious solution to this, I think...

But where are we gonna get leather pants at this hour?
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:40 pm

But why would lesbian witches need leather pants?

Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:24 am

Hey, here's a radical idea. Let's treat lesbians like they're actual people, not something that exists purely to satisfy your libido.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:11 am

Uh, what? That's what we're doing. If you're going to take offence at something, make sure it's something that's actually happening.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Man on the Moon on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:51 am

Tricia wrote:Hey, here's a radical idea. Let's treat lesbians like they're actual people, not something that exists purely to satisfy your libido.

But these are theoretical lesbians, not actual people. As products of our own imagination, they do exist by and for our whims alone.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kyevan on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:14 am

Tricia wrote:Hey, here's a radical idea. Let's treat lesbians like they're actual people, not something that exists purely to satisfy your libido.

Mmm, see, there's a difference between being silly and actually objectifying people. I had hoped that would be obvious the moment we started talking about relative nutritional value and flammability:P
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:44 am

To your left, you can observe Tricia making the traditional jump from "criticism" to "insults". This traditionally occurs shortly after somebody posts an opinion she doesn't like. It has a actually been growing rarer lately, so you're quite lucky (or not) to see it first hand.

Alternatively, feel free to observe her ignorance of the edit button and love of the delete one.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 am

The issue that I, personally, have with this is that treatment of lesbians as some kind of mystical, fabled being.

I don't think this really counts as reducing lesbians to some sexual object, but it still has the characteristic of making a person seem like, well, something inhuman. Comparing a human to pastries does that thing, where it is hard to not take offense. I fully realise you are just joking here, but try exchanging "lesbian" with "African" or "Jew" and if it still seems just as funny.

You basicly take a group of people and, even if just for the sake of joking, compare it to something inanimate. It's very easy to see this as incredibly insensitive.

Then, of course, once anybody puts "lesbians are hot" on the pro column, or the fact this is almost entirely done by heterosexual men, it also gets hard not to see this as outright sexual objectification. This is a joke that is immensely likely to backfire. I'm "only" bisexual and already it gets hard not to be outright and incredibly offended.

Oh, and Illusionist? Tricia's comment was uncalled for. But you know? She also realised that and deleted her post. All that is left you jumping at her back. All that is left is your insult to her. Frankly, this makes you as bad as what you accuse Tricia of being. There's not even any excuse, as you lovingly imply that even deleting such post is bad for some reason. Difficult not take this as "YEAH WELL SHE DELETED HER POST BUT SHE MUST STILL BE JUDGED AND HUMILIATED!", you know?

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:17 pm

I was just pointing out her habit of deleting posts rather than apologising for them, or even just saying "Yeah, I messed up". I was, in short, criticising her. Nothing wrong with a little criticism. Had I called Tricia stupid for deleting her posts, then there would be a problem.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive