[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/15/02] So simple a thing as Love

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 2/15/02] So simple a thing as Love

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020215.html

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
-Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970), Marriage and Morals (1929) ch. 19

Love is everything it's cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.
-Erica Jong, O Magazine, February 2004

To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don't want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt.
-Madonna (1958 - ), O Magazine, January 2004

Loving can cost a lot but not loving always costs more, and those who fear to love often find that want of love is an emptiness that robs the joy from life.
-Merle Shain

If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear pain or loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater.
-Unknown
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 2/15/02] So simple a thing as Love

Postby Tuitsuro on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, when your love interest is a dense as a neutron star, sometimes you have to make it really, really obvious.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 pm

This one was one of the nicer of the early strips. Humour via the campy, so-bad-it's-funny B movie; and emotional depth shown in Elliot and Sarah's relationship. Dan's artistic ability may have been somewhat lacking back then, but his ability to tell a story with a comic was already pretty good. Already, I think the relationship between Elliot and Sarah is more interesting than most in movies. :)

Nice quotes, Chaos Priestess.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Beautiful quotes, and a beautiful strip as well. I recall that this was the stage where EGS started to really catch my interest the first time around. This was the beginning of its departure from mere slapstick humour and its first venture to more serious ground. It has amply fulfilled the promise it made since.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shadowhamster on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:32 am

Hmm love...

There is this girl at work. To be blunt I like her, and I think it may be reciprocated as she doesn't act awkward around me, but is happy to have me around. My friend is telling me that she has to know I like her because it's apparently very obvious(not the best at hiding emotion.)

There are complications, some I'm not yet willing to share with you(I know this is pretty anonymous, but they are still related to trust issues), but to do my best:

- It's my job. Asking someone out at a job is much harder than asking someone out. I also love the job and don't want to endanger it.
- I like her, and have feelings for her. I would like her as a friend, which we technically are, but would also love to be more. The question is am I willing to risk that then?
- There are some things I'm just not going to be open about when I first go out with a person, and they have the potential to mess with someone's life if they get involved with me.
- I'm really really scared, and excited, and happy in her presence, which leaves me giggly and stupid, and unable to get out a simply confession.

Strips like this help me put it all in perspective. It's love, and in the end, it should be simple.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love.
Gone savage for teenagers who are aesthetically pleasing,
in other words, fly" - Soul Coughing.
Shadowhamster
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Torgamus on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 am

I have been in Sarah's position. Literally and figuratively. Similar lack of reaction at the time, but it didn't work out as well as her situation did in the end.
Torgamus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:53 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Sarah attempts to make her move! It fails partially due to the seats being too far apart, and partially due to Elliot's continuing obliviousness. (He looks a bit confused in the last two panels...)

== Sept, 2008 ==

Crystal: Of course, my interpretation of what's going on in his head is a lot different with what we know now...

Oh, and Dr. Germahn is in the movies! (Even if his name was misspelled.)
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive