Scenes that won't happen

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: Scenes that won't happen

Postby nitpicking on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Well, technically Marvel and DC jointly own the trademark on "Super-Hero" with a hyphen.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MITSasquatch on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:08 am

Illusionist wrote:Ellen has apparently learned to deal with her "new" life.

4 days ago:
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20051214.html
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20051221.html

I think she still has issues...
Maybe not a subscription, but issues...
- (for the duration of Sister II) MIT She-squatch
changing the motto from MENS ET MANUS (or UNSEEN YETI REMAINS)
to FEMS T3H FANS-US (Go Tedd! - He'll wear a Rat someday)

MITSasquatch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bunnyThor on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 am

Only in EGS would "4 days ago" and "3 years ago" be synonymous. :D
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:23 am

bunnyThor wrote:Only in EGS would "4 days ago" and "3 years ago" be synonymous. :D

Meanwhile, in the past...

:shifty:
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:47 pm

bunnyThor wrote:Only in EGS would "4 days ago" and "3 years ago" be synonymous. :D

In principle you could have a planet with revolution and rotation rates such that it has more than one year per day/night cycle.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:08 pm

That's not exactly something to be *proud* of...
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Turey on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:23 pm

nitpicking wrote:

In principle you could have a planet with revolution and rotation rates such that it has more than one year per day/night cycle.

Doesn't the moon have a rotation to revolution ratio of just about one?
Turey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Darekun on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Turey wrote:Doesn't the moon have a rotation to revolution ratio of just about one?

Yes, though it would probably be more useful to measure a lunar year based on Earth's revolutions. Hm, Venus is at about two days per year...
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Free Radical on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Turey wrote:Doesn't the moon have a rotation to revolution ratio of just about one?

Yes, the moon is tidally locked to the Earth, but that's not what nitpicking is on about - if a body was tidally locked to the sun it would have a day side and a night side rather than a day/night cycle.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby BtEtta on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:09 pm

nitpicking wrote:

Mercury does this for a solar day (e.g. the length between one midday and the next) lasting ~176 Earth solar days, but with an orbital period of ~88 Earth solar days. I specify solar days each time, as that is the more familiar definition of 'day', it is not the same as the time taken for the planet to complete one rotation about its axis; Venus' year (~225 Earth solar days) is however shorter than that period (~243 Earth solar days), but its solar day (~117 Earth solar days) is shorter still.

Other planets in our solar system my also apply here, but I knew either Mercury or Venus did without realising the complexities that mean they both do in their own way.
BtEtta
Keenspot Despot

Postby Man on the Moon on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:28 pm

nitpicking wrote:

I doubt such a planet could be habitable, though.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raekuul on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Grace: It's been three years since the party already? It only seems like it's been a handful of days.

Dan: Grace, I know that you don't have much respect for the fourth wall, but could you please at least pretend it's there?

Grace: Are you mad at me?

Dan: I wasn't mad at you when you were putting bows in my hair, I'm not mad at you now... although my repair bill is getting pretty high.

Grace: What do you mean?

Dan: I have to pay someone to fix the fourth wall, even when I'm getting Tedd and Elliot to do it.
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Grace wouldn't complain about the time ratio, though. That's more a Tedd thing--and Dan would most assuredly punish him with some sort of hilarious transformation. But I'm not able to think of anything now because I'm sleep deprived.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:48 pm

nitpicking wrote:Grace wouldn't complain about the time ratio, though. That's more a Tedd thing--and Dan would most assuredly punish him with some sort of hilarious transformation. But I'm not able to think of anything now because I'm sleep deprived.

What is this 'sleep' thing that you talk about?
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Man on the Moon wrote:
nitpicking wrote:In principle you could have a planet with revolution and rotation rates such that it has more than one year per day/night cycle.

Well, assuming you mean the specific case of "habitable to humans", it might work with a planet that lost most of its nonmetallic content during the Late Heavy Bombardment; it would equalize temperature through the mantle the way Venus does through the atmosphere. Might be poisonous with heavy metals, though.

On a planet like Venus but further away from its sun, humans could live in pressurized chambers underground.

A tidelocked planet of about six Earth masses would retain an atmosphere(and sustain a surface chemistry similar to Earth's) long enough for our tree of life to have started, and if the autotrophs develop on thermocouple principles, they could equalize temperature, releasing the atmosphere frozen on the cold side. With a resonant lock, that would be even easier.

And then there's the possibility of an alien chemistry that produces crustal thermocouple autotrophs, leaving the surface ready for humans to seed with Earth plants, even if the natives consider the surface deadly cold.

But a randomly-selected planet with such a year/day ratio is almost certainly not habitable to humans, yes :J

Best EGS video. Ever.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:46 am

How about a planet that orbits extremely close to a brown dwarf which in turn orbits around another, bigger star in a binary system? :P
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby raekuul on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:21 am

Raging Mouse wrote:How about a planet that orbits extremely close to a brown dwarf which in turn orbits around another, bigger star in a binary system? :P

Can anyone say "Fried Green Planets"?
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am

Benkenobi5 wrote:the kernel of truth here is not that women are bad at directions. it is that women, 'back in the day' as they say, were usually not entirely masterful of map-reading. they stayed at home and cooked in the kitchen, hence: no need for finding your way. they just followed the men around whenever they weren't doing laundry or cleaning up after messy children.
these days, of course, that has changed, and women and men are on a fairly equal playing field.

Er, actually I believe the joke was based on the stereotype that "Men never ask for directions [even when lost]".
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Man on the Moon on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 am

ChronosCat wrote:Er, actually I believe the joke was based on the stereotype that "Men never ask for directions [even when lost]".

Pfft, "lost". We're exploring, we never get lost!
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby FerretBob on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 am

Scene The First
In a shop
Nanase: None of these clothes are right. I give up, I'm gonna wear thick jumpers and lederhösen from now on.

Justin: Can I have your boob-tube then?

Scene The Second
Sarah's House
Elliot: [Walking into Sarah's room] Hi gorgeowhat the hell is that?

Sarah: [Embarrased] It's just a painting of you as a catboy. You're not upset are you?

Elliot: No, I just didn't know you liked that form... so much...

Scene The Third
A hold
Grace: It'll be fun, we can meet new people and they'll all have stories.

Susan: [Packing away some clandestine goods] Dan, can you stop her being cheerful for one second?

Dan: I don't think there's a power in the Gooniverse that can stop our Gracie being cheerful...

Scene The Third
Tedd's Basement
Tedd: Don't you think you're being a little harsh on Elliot?

Ellen: I suppose so. But it's very difficult living with someone who, for all intents and purposes, intentionally or not, has taken your entire life and now has to suffer a fraction of what I have to live with for the rest of my life. Not to mention that the only hope you had of developing an alternate perspective was a flawed concept to start with and has been destroyed by events that took place there, which I'd prefer not to go into.

Tedd: But still, it's not Elliot's fault...

Ellen: You're right and I know that I shouldn't really be so heavy on him. But if I just up and tell him then, due to my irrational bitterness and deep-seated neuroses about being permanently changed into, effectively, a whole new person, it's going to turn into a massive rant which, given our propensity for jumping to conclusions, he'll probably assume that I'm blaming him, feel massively guilty and go out risking himself trying to do something stupidly heroic to right the wrong he's done me, which, as you've rightly said, isn't his fault. I also feel, to a certain extent, he shouldn't complain about being emasculated in front of me.

Tedd: You have a point. Perhaps we could find a compromise, perhaps I could speak to him on your behalf, as a mutual best friend?
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChronosCat on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:21 pm

FerretBob wrote:Scene The First
In a shop
Nanase: None of these clothes are right. I give up, I'm gonna wear thick jumpers and lederhösen from now on.

Justin: Can I have your boob-tube then?

Grace: Or just go naked. That's what I do when I can't figure out what to wear.

Sarah: That's brilliant! I think I'm going to do that from now on.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stardrake_ on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:18 am

Darekun wrote:
Man on the Moon wrote:
nitpicking wrote:In principle you could have a planet with revolution and rotation rates such that it has more than one year per day/night cycle.

Well, assuming you mean the specific case of "habitable to humans", it might work with a planet that lost most of its nonmetallic content during the Late Heavy Bombardment; it would equalize temperature through the mantle the way Venus does through the atmosphere. Might be poisonous with heavy metals, though.

On a planet like Venus but further away from its sun, humans could live in pressurized chambers underground.

A tidelocked planet of about six Earth masses would retain an atmosphere(and sustain a surface chemistry similar to Earth's) long enough for our tree of life to have started, and if the autotrophs develop on thermocouple principles, they could equalize temperature, releasing the atmosphere frozen on the cold side. With a resonant lock, that would be even easier.

And then there's the possibility of an alien chemistry that produces crustal thermocouple autotrophs, leaving the surface ready for humans to seed with Earth plants, even if the natives consider the surface deadly cold.

But a randomly-selected planet with such a year/day ratio is almost certainly not habitable to humans, yes :J

I wonder if it's possible to have a planet where 'noon' and 'midnight' are too hot and too cold for life, respectively, but where you could have a form of nomadic life that constantly migrates through the areas at dawn and dusk?

FerretBob wrote:Scene the Second

Which inspired:

Elliot: [walking into Sarah's room]"Hi gorgeowhat the hell I didn't think *blushes and starts backing out* Tedd was right about that mirror sorry to walk in on you I'll just be leaving..."

Sarah:"Oh no you don't! I called you over because I'll need a male model next!"

Elliot: "You know, you probably could have asked Tedd to borrow the gun..."

Sarah:"Where's the fun in that? Besides, what else are boyfriends for?"
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby Man on the Moon on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:04 am

Stardrake_ wrote:I wonder if it's possible to have a planet where 'noon' and 'midnight' are too hot and too cold for life, respectively, but where you could have a form of nomadic life that constantly migrates through the areas at dawn and dusk?

The temperature difference would cause unholy powerful storms along the day-night line.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:23 am

Man on the Moon wrote:
Stardrake_ wrote:I wonder if it's possible to have a planet where 'noon' and 'midnight' are too hot and too cold for life, respectively, but where you could have a form of nomadic life that constantly migrates through the areas at dawn and dusk?

The temperature difference would cause unholy powerful storms along the day-night line.

Which could be a useful energy source.

In general, directed mobility doesn't appear unless it needs to, and even then it takes a while, so you'd probably have to have the lower branches of the tree of life hibernating, rather than migrating. Particularly since following currents is out. Still, it'd be interesting to imagine "plants" with stalks to gather turbulence energy, folding up like flowers to protect themselves from the blistering heat and cold, attracting the migratory creatures with fruit... and probably something to make noise in the wind.

Best EGS video. Ever.
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 am

Darekun wrote:
Man on the Moon wrote:

Which could be a useful energy source.

In general, directed mobility doesn't appear unless it needs to, and even then it takes a while, so you'd probably have to have the lower branches of the tree of life hibernating, rather than migrating. Particularly since following currents is out. Still, it'd be interesting to imagine "plants" with stalks to gather turbulence energy, folding up like flowers to protect themselves from the blistering heat and cold, attracting the migratory creatures with fruit... and probably something to make noise in the wind.

Dave Duncan once wrote a science fiction book based on a planet of this kind. It had a very slow day, it took almost a century for the planet to make a full rotation. The human colonists were forced to constantly migrate to stay in the survivable region, and to make things worse, the locals had also managed to lose their technology. Add to that that most of the cultures were rabidly xenophobic and egotistical and you had a Crapsack World beyond compare.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive