Scenes that won't happen

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: Scenes that won't happen

Postby Dragonstar on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:56 am

Tricia wrote:I'd like to think Dan has more dignity than that.

So do I, which is why I posted it as a "Scene that won't happen."
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Tricia wrote:I'd like to think Dan has more dignity than that.

For me at least, it's the bit about Chaos and the other immortals watching it and eating popcorn that really makes it funny.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:52 am

Would drawing that be so horrifically undignified, compared to, say, that doodle of Damien being squashed by a meteor, or Justin dressed as a Klingon?
Last edited by Illusionist on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby rista-liehna on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 am

syrazemyla wrote:My thought is an alternate version of this comic.

I just realized Elliot is blushing in that comic...

Also, Latin = win. It can even make hymns sound good that, according to the translations, are basically in kindergartener language.
rista-liehna
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dragonstar on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am

rista-liehna wrote:
syrazemyla wrote:My thought is an alternate version of this comic.

I just realized Elliot is blushing in that comic...

Also, Latin = win. It can even make hymns sound good that, according to the translations, are basically in kindergartener language.

Actually, it is Grace who is blushing after Sarah kissed her. It is just that Grace is in Elliot's body and Sarah is in Tedd's body.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 am

All just nonsensical stereotypes ascribed to languages that are then overly exaggerated by everyone ever. Because French is the "romantic language", French are portrayed with a wooing voice, and such a death threat can sound like a declaration of love. It is not the language itself that does it, but the tone of voice coupled with the stereotype. If you say the same death threat in French, but with loathing and hatred in your voice, you wouldn't think it's a love message unless you are severely autistic or something.

Same with Latin. Because Latin is the "epic language", all the choruses are written specificly to be sung in a decidedly epic way, complete with orchestra and all. Because these songs are epic, naturally Latin is. It's a spiral. You can be sure that the Roman Empire wasn't Epic Musical Land.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

It is a natural Human reaction to admire your parents, and think of them in grandiose terms. And Latin is the parent language for most of Western Europe, so...
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dragonstar on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:15 pm

In Mel Gibson's passion movie, the Romans there speak in "Street Latin," the everyday vernacular Latin. Most of what we hear from Latin is not the vernacular Latin that was spoken by everyday people. So, attributing that Latin to the common Roman is like going to a local bar or pub in the US, Australia, New Zealand, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, or other country in the English-speaking world and expecting people to talk with the same English as in scholarly works or how Tolkien wrote.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Man on the Moon on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Dragonstar wrote:In Mel Gibson's passion movie, the Romans there speak in "Street Latin," the everyday vernacular Latin.

1. They don't, actually. They talk in 'church Latin'.

2. Roman soldiers would have spoken in Greek when talking to the common people of Judea. Greek was the dominant language of the east, not Latin. Latin wasn't even taught in Roman Judea.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Xylric on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:25 pm

Dragonstar wrote:In Mel Gibson's passion movie, the Romans there speak in "Street Latin," the everyday vernacular Latin. Most of what we hear from Latin is not the vernacular Latin that was spoken by everyday people. So, attributing that Latin to the common Roman is like going to a local bar or pub in the US, Australia, New Zealand, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, or other country in the English-speaking world and expecting people to talk with the same English as in scholarly works or how Tolkien wrote.

Wait, you mean there's a difference?
Never battle a pyrokinetic in a fireworks factory.

Inventory:
1 TF Gun, 1 Cookie wrapped in plastic, 1 Dead Fish, 1 Squirrel Teddy, 6 cans of Unlabeled Soda, 1 Uryuom Work Suit, 1 clockwork cube, 1 TF buster mod Kit, Blue Plasma Pen, Infinite dice bag, catnip mouse, ball of green yarn,1 Uryuom Work Suit, 1 Enchanted Diamond Katana

Personal effects:
Artemis-grade Dattoos, and a Wraith. Ask for details!
Xylric
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: The currently burning, former gleaming, towers of scholarly might

Postby Ginny_Weasel on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Wait, what? Did I really just read that?

Certainly, pointing and laughing at a real rape is not the right thing to do unless you're on 4chan, but I happen to believe that anything can be funny if it's written that way. Rape is simply harder to make funny than, say, slipping and falling.

Also, Thor, no matter how you spin it today has been horrible for Elliot. Not to mention that Ellen has apparently learned to deal with her "new" life.

So, it's okay to write rape out in a funny way, but the idea that having to change into a girl could be, according to Dan, funny is just way beyond the realm of reason? When Elliot got turned into a girl the first time, he didn't seem all that distressed about it. The most would be him being upset that Sarah would see him in that form, but once Sarah knew it's not like he kept hiding or acted ashamed of his new body. In fact, http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020616.html, he had no intention of skipping out of school while in the female form even.

And maybe I'm a horrible person, but joshing someone about starting their period isn't the worst thing ever. Because having your period = not a big deal, even if it seems like it is atm (although if it's towards someone that has a habit of not being well adjusted or self-assured, it can be mean but that kind of person probably couldn't handle teasing in general, regardless of topic). And that wouldn't even be a close comparison since Elliot has already been a girl before. So it'd be closer to teasing someone when they're spotting after starting or stopping taking the pill. "Haha you won't know if you're gonna stain your underwear today!!" towards someone as well adjusted as Elliot? Yeah, I'm not seeing the jerkitude there.

But on topic: Any scene involving long discussion of the girl's menstrual cycles, or the TF-gun's affect on such. Or Grace being explained about periods, either in a flash back, or in current scenes. Her age and boobs suggest she's gone through puberty and should have a menstrual cycle going, but if transforming resets it, maybe she transforms often enough that she actually hasn't had a period?
Ginny_Weasel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Stardrake_ on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:41 am

Ginny_Weasel wrote:So, it's okay to write rape out in a funny way, but the idea that having to change into a girl could be, according to Dan, funny is just way beyond the realm of reason? When Elliot got turned into a girl the first time, he didn't seem all that distressed about it. The most would be him being upset that Sarah would see him in that form, but once Sarah knew it's not like he kept hiding or acted ashamed of his new body. In fact, http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020616.html, he had no intention of skipping out of school while in the female form even.

Well, he did hide his identity from the school body while doing so, while not hiding it from the teachers (thus ruling out the 'did it purely not to blow cover' thing, unless the Nth Moperville staff already have clearance from DGB.

On the language thing... from memory, there was a High Latin and a Common Latin as distinct dialects. I'm not sure how different they were, though.
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby Illusionist on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 am

Uh, Ginny, bit behind the times, aren't you?

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ginny_Weasel on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 am

Illusionist wrote:Uh, Ginny, bit behind the times, aren't you?

There is no time on the interwebs! :o

And I kept it partially relevant. Do YOU think Dan would include a scene in the comic about menstruation? Or even the main characters discussing what kind of pads/tampons they use? Has it been long enough that ellen would have started her period, I can't recall. But he might end up covering it barely there.

I can't imagine a TG comic that DIDNT have some sort of 'well now you get to use a pad!' ':(!' 'we could get you some tampons instead?' 'D:!!!' but since Ellen has even had SEX in her second life, she might not be as traumatized by the idea of using a tampon?
Ginny_Weasel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:16 am

I think you may have missed the point somewhat. The period thing as a simile/metaphor, and not a perfect one at that. As to the first post, if someone being transformed was presented in a funny way (such as "The playah got played!") laughing would be and is OK. Elliot's situation was not written or presented for comedy. I wouldn't support laughing at any rape, just comedic fictional rape. Similarly, I don't support laughing at any transformation.

We clear now?

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ineluki on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:45 am

Ginny_Weasel wrote:Has it been long enough that ellen would have started her period, I can't recall.

I still got the timeline open, so... yes, that happened before the 'Night Out' arc.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darekun on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 am

Ineluki wrote:I still got the timeline open, so...

Oh, do you have a ref for the timeline? I saw several in the timeline thread that could've been the timeline, but wasn't sure which...
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ineluki on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:21 am

well, yeah, I saved the last post from Dan of that topic.
I THINK this would be the schedule, then:

January 25 (Friday) 1: Goo created, fought for the first time.
January 26(Saturday) 2: Sarah, Tedd and Elliot go to the movies. Enter Grace.
January 27 (Sunday) 3: Elliot and Sarah meet Grace. Sarah and Grace go clothes shopping.
January 28 (Monday) 4: Elliot Takes Sarah to Martial arts class. Much awkwardness.
January 29 (Tuesday) 5: Tedd V5's Elliot. Elliot and Sarah officially start going out...I believe.
January 30 (Wednesday) 6: Elliot goes to School as Ellen. Elliot and Tedd travel to PTTAOLUTASF. Ellen Created.
January 31 (Thursday) 7: The goo fight, and the resolution of "Sister"
1 day
February 2 (Saturday) 9: Justin and Nanase at the Comic shop
4 days
February 7 (Thursday) 14: Lady Mysterious
21 days
March 1 (Friday) 36: Ellen and Elliot's groups night out.
March 2 (Saturday) 37: Tam eh Tedd and Painted black (Busy day!)
March 3 (Sunday) 38: End of Painted black / Sleepy Time
March 4 (Monday) 39: Red Alert
1 day
March 6 (Wednesday) 41: School Uniforms Announced.
March 7 (Thursday) 42: Susan and Nanase conspire.
March 8 (Friday) 43: Uniform Pickup.
March 9 (Saturday) 44: Grace's Birthday Party.
March 10 (Sunday) 45: Aftershocks from Grace's Birthday Party.
March 11 (Monday) 46: Grace and Ellen's first day of school (and The Susan Pants Rebellion)
March 12 (Tuesday) 47: Elliot wakes up female
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Man on the Moon on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:22 am

Ginny_Weasel wrote:Do YOU think Dan would include a scene in the comic about menstruation?

Tedd makes a reference back when Ellen was just transformed-Elliot.
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:22 am

Man on the Moon wrote:
Ginny_Weasel wrote:Do YOU think Dan would include a scene in the comic about menstruation?

Tedd makes a reference back when Ellen was just transformed-Elliot.

Don't forget that Grace used the possibility of having a period while waiting for the TF Gun to get fixed to help convince Elliot to go along with the Dewitchery Diamond scheme. Of course, Ellen also chose PMS as a speech topic when she was the "evil" twin.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive