[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/31/02] Spew

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/31/02] Spew

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020131.html

Elliot must not be very genre savvy, or he never would have asked how dangerous it could be. Phrases like that are right below "What could go wrong?" "Trust me, it's completely safe." and the ever dreadful "Hey guys, check this out!" His genre blindness seems especially bad when you consider he is knowingly chasing something that shouldn't exist.

Switching gears here, I wonder how it is that the goo got so big so quickly? Yes, it had some steroids, but it getting that big is just mind-boggling. That thing must have the metabolism of a hummingbird at least in order to get the full effect of the drug so quickly, and even then that doesn't adequately explain just where all that extra mass came from. It had to take it in from somewhere. And what about developing eyes and a very toothy mouth? My personal theory - magic. I don't mean that in the usual "A wizard did it" sense, but that the demon nucleus itself is using magic to increase the mass of it's goo shell, and the steroids are acting as a catalyst, or as the source of the energy needed for the spell, or something.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/31/02] Spew

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020131.html

Elliot must not be very genre savvy, or he never would have asked how dangerous it could be. Phrases like that are right below "What could go wrong?" "Trust me, it's completely safe." and the ever dreadful "Hey guys, check this out!" His genre blindness seems especially bad when you consider he is knowingly chasing something that shouldn't exist.

"We should split up" is in and of itself all but a knell of doom. Any experienced hunter of oozes, slimes and things that have tentacles knows that no matter what happens, you never never NEVER split up.

Switching gears here, I wonder how it is that the goo got so big so quickly? Yes, it had some steroids, but it getting that big is just mind-boggling. That thing must have the metabolism of a hummingbird at least in order to get the full effect of the drug so quickly, and even then that doesn't adequately explain just where all that extra mass came from. It had to take it in from somewhere. And what about developing eyes and a very toothy mouth? My personal theory - magic. I don't mean that in the usual "A wizard did it" sense, but that the demon nucleus itself is using magic to increase the mass of it's goo shell, and the steroids are acting as a catalyst, or as the source of the energy needed for the spell, or something.

Also switching gears, I am kind of wondering about the whole Lord Tedd angle. I suddenly realised that the purpose of the goo might never have been to destroy Tedd but rather to provoke him into striking aggressively back and defeat the goo. In a sense that would indeed destroy 'weak Tedd' as it would force him to get past his illusions of weakness and inadequacy in order to survive.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:20 pm

The Old Hack wrote:

Also switching gears, I am kind of wondering about the whole Lord Tedd angle. I suddenly realised that the purpose of the goo might never have been to destroy Tedd but rather to provoke him into striking aggressively back and defeat the goo. In a sense that would indeed destroy 'weak Tedd' as it would force him to get past his illusions of weakness and inadequacy in order to survive.

Either way it failed miserably.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:21 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Either way it failed miserably.

In very deed. *nods* I suppose I was only speculating on the motivations of Lord Tedd.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:28 am

It's not Spew, it's the Society for the Protection of Elfen Welfare!
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 am

:D Nice one Illusionist.

Really, she would have saved herself a lot of trouble by simply changing "welfare" to "rights" or something like that.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:06 am

Hermione? Use a short word where a long one would work? Surely you're joking!
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:31 am

It would even have made the acronym itself meaningful--S.P.E.R. (as in spurring people to action)
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 am

I never noticed that.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:50 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos:

Wow, someone actually realized splitting up is dangerous! Meanwhile, Elliot tempts fate.

== August 30, 2008 ==

Chaos Priestess wrote:
The Old Hack wrote:Also switching gears, I am kind of wondering about the whole Lord Tedd angle. I suddenly realised that the purpose of the goo might never have been to destroy Tedd but rather to provoke him into striking aggressively back and defeat the goo. In a sense that would indeed destroy 'weak Tedd' as it would force him to get past his illusions of weakness and inadequacy in order to survive.

Either way it failed miserably.

Crystal:

Well, Elliot may have been the one to defeat the goo, but this Tedd didn't need any spurring on anyway - except for physically, this is certainly not a "weak" Tedd.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:39 pm

ChronosCat wrote:Crystal:

Well, Elliot may have been the one to defeat the goo, but this Tedd didn't need any spurring on anyway - except for physically, this is certainly not a "weak" Tedd.

This is part of my theory concerning Lord Tedd: that due to some factor or other, he was subjected to much harsher treatment by others than our Tedd. (Possibly the factor was the absence of Elliot as a protector. This might have had a HUGE effect as in our world, Elliot is the common factor that more or less causes the entire cast to connect with one another, potentially leaving Lord Tedd entirely isolated.) Due to this, he grew an obsession with the need to 'be strong' and created the demonic nuclei in order to provoke other Tedds to become stronger, too. This, of course, shows a rather warped perception of what strength is and what encourages it, but not out of character for LT. Ultimately leading to the 'objective failed' message as the objective was to corner Tedd and force him to become active in protecting himself.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive