[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby ForkBomb on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm

The fleet in question sucks and gets its arse handed to it.
The current ship-building schedule is more than enough to defend from everything but the ori, who they can't do shit about, thus waste of time to build more.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Free Radical on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:27 pm

ForkBomb wrote:The fleet in question sucks and gets its arse handed to it.
The current ship-building schedule is more than enough to defend from everything but the ori, who they can't do shit about, thus waste of time to build more.

Yes, because clearly they hadn't been meeting new threats fairly regularly over the mere decade or so since they met Ra, and certainly they never will again.

Also, did they even know at that point that their ships couldn't match the Ori ships? It's easy to use 20/20 hindsight afterwards to say the fleet was no use to them...
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Nightranger on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Illusionist wrote:Is this a bad time to mention I loved Stargate Infinity?

That's the comic series isn't it? To be honest, I've only heard it mentioned once or twice before and haven't seen it for sell anywhere.

Free Radical wrote:
ForkBomb wrote:The fleet in question sucks and gets its arse handed to it.

Yes, because clearly they hadn't been meeting new threats fairly regularly over the mere decade or so since they met Ra, and certainly they never will again.

Also, did they even know at that point that their ships couldn't match the Ori ships? It's easy to use 20/20 hindsight afterwards to say the fleet was no use to them...

Due to the Asguard technology, the ships they were building were pretty well matched in a one-on-one battle against most any ship built in the Milky Way. The thing is there's no way they could produse enough of them in the near future to fend off a serious assault. One planet building ships versus lots of planets building ships. And the group from the SGC wasn't advising that they stop building ships, just that the SGC itself not be effectively shut down.

This was before they'd encountered any Ori ships. But they did already know that the Ori used to be the same people as the Ancients (the ones who created a weapons platform that utterly demolished Anubis's fleet in about a minute). Given that, it's a rather safe bet that their technology is pretty dang good.

But really, that line was basically just the result of Vala being bored by the politician and insulting him.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Free Radical on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:40 am

Nightranger wrote:And the group from the SGC wasn't advising that they stop building ships, just that the SGC itself not be effectively shut down.

Didn't say they did. Vala was the one I thought came across badly.

Nightranger wrote:But really, that line was basically just the result of Vala being bored by the politician and insulting him.

Yeah, that was the impression I was getting from it alright.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive