[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:35 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020129.html

Blasphemy is a fun word to use while being silly. This comic is a great example of that. It's the perfect counter to any naysayers of foolish plans, which, while usually ineffective, tend more entertaining then a well thought out plan.

Although really when you think about it Tedd is moving in the wrong direction if he wants to try and catch goo with a net. While it probably wouldn't work anyway, if it is going to work then they need a smaller net with less space in between the threads. The goo could still probably ooze through, but it might take it a little while longer to do it, giving them time to dump the goo in a bucket or something.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
User avatar
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:21 pm
Location: Strollin' through the archives

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby kyevan on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:20 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020129.html

Blasphemy is a fun word to use while being silly. This comic is a great example of that. It's the perfect counter to any naysayers of foolish plans, which, while usually ineffective, tend more entertaining then a well thought out plan.

Although really when you think about it Tedd is moving in the wrong direction if he wants to try and catch goo with a net. While it probably wouldn't work anyway, if it is going to work then they need a smaller net with less space in between the threads. The goo could still probably ooze through, but it might take it a little while longer to do it, giving them time to dump the goo in a bucket or something.

BLASPHEMY! Bigger nets! BIGGER!
Image
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
User avatar
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 am

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:38 pm

The blasphemy here is yours, Kyevan! You have perverted the True Way of the Net with your foolishness, obsessing with impotent size which matters not!
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
User avatar
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:21 pm
Location: Strollin' through the archives

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby The Old Hack on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:The blasphemy here is yours, Kyevan! You have perverted the True Way of the Net with your foolishness, obsessing with impotent size which matters not!

Sacrilege! In the TRUE True Way of the Net, size does matter!
Image
Check out the test to find out who you are!
User avatar
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Tuitsuro on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Feed it jellybeans. Maybe it'll turn into a trampoline or a ladder.
User avatar
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:01 am

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Turey on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Tuitsuro wrote:Feed it jellybeans. Maybe it'll turn into a trampoline or a ladder.


Yay obscure NES jokes!

I wonder if the graveyard duck is related to the demonic duck?
User avatar
Turey
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby raekuul on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:32 am

Turey wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:Feed it jellybeans. Maybe it'll turn into a trampoline or a ladder.


Yay obscure NES jokes!

I wonder if the graveyard duck is related to the demonic duck?


No, feeding it jellybeans will just make it grow huge and mess with its intelligence.
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
User avatar
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:06 am

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby kyevan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 am

raekuul wrote:
Turey wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:Feed it jellybeans. Maybe it'll turn into a trampoline or a ladder.


Yay obscure NES jokes!

I wonder if the graveyard duck is related to the demonic duck?


No, feeding it jellybeans will just make it grow huge and mess with its intelligence.

We'd have to do a chemical analysis to determine whether the composition is more like Myrrh or, uh... I think they're referring to ABAHB, but I'm not sure and I've never played it anyway, so no idea >_>
Image
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
User avatar
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 am

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Illusionist on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 am

Jelly Babies, on the other hand, won't do anything to the goo itself, but will summon the fourth Doctor to help out. Celery works just as well for the Fifth.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
User avatar
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am
Location: Probably not where I'm supposed to be

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby kyevan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Illusionist wrote:Jelly Babies, on the other hand, won't do anything to the goo itself, but will summon the fourth Doctor to help out. Celery works just as well for the Fifth.

Tar Babies, on the other hand, will summon someone from The Eighth.
Image
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
User avatar
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 am

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:06 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos:

Yes, quite foolish. (Where did they come up with the idea in the first place?!)

Tedd's persistence is amusing, though.

== August 30, 2008 ==

Crystal:

It looks like some sort of ectoplasmic entity. Maybe they should use a GhostTrap?
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
User avatar
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 am
Location: the timestream

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby L0yD3 R33D on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

kyevan wrote:
Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020129.html

Blasphemy is a fun word to use while being silly. This comic is a great example of that. It's the perfect counter to any naysayers of foolish plans, which, while usually ineffective, tend more entertaining then a well thought out plan.

Although really when you think about it Tedd is moving in the wrong direction if he wants to try and catch goo with a net. While it probably wouldn't work anyway, if it is going to work then they need a smaller net with less space in between the threads. The goo could still probably ooze through, but it might take it a little while longer to do it, giving them time to dump the goo in a bucket or something.

BLASPHEMY! Bigger nets! BIGGER!



"it's not the size mates, it's how you use it" Nigel Powers

also....people who use/drive big Weapons/Cars are normally compensating for something, with the exception of Tedd as proven in this comic
"The best plans are always the most ridiculus and suicidal ones resulting in the highest friendly casualties." -Alexander Cairns
"I have proven that nothing exists, observe: Practice makes perfect, correct? thus imperfection can become perfection. however that being said, Perfection doesn't exist. Thus proving....that nothing exists." -Alexander Cairns
Jerome: Alexander you're not a genius you just randomly do stuff with no regard for logic or physics!
Alexander: i don't see where you're going with this.
"I often overhear good things when I talk to myself.." -William Maks
"even if the voices in my head aren't real...they have some pretty good ideas" -William Maks
"You think you've won this fight, but you've only lost your mind"
"Retreating? Of course not, I'm simply attacking in the other direction." -Jordan "Kamikaze" Wong
"It is insufficient that I succeed. Everyone else must fail"
User avatar
L0yD3 R33D
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:21 pm

L0yD3 R33D wrote:also....people who use/drive big Weapons/Cars are normally compensating for something, with the exception of Tedd as proven in this comic

OK, I realize I'm probably missing something here, but... what?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
User avatar
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:21 pm
Location: Strollin' through the archives

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Ginny_Weasel on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:
L0yD3 R33D wrote:also....people who use/drive big Weapons/Cars are normally compensating for something, with the exception of Tedd as proven in this comic

OK, I realize I'm probably missing something here, but... what?


I'm not sure what 'big weapon' Tedd uses that might be taken as over-compensation but, I'd assume in that comic, one could infer that Tedd... doesn't require 'over-compensation', from Grace's comment of 'ooh lala'.

(what's the rating for the forum? Am I allowed to say 'Grace thinks Tedd has a big package!' ?)
User avatar
Ginny_Weasel
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Lafayette La

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Nightranger on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:17 pm

L0yD3 R33D wrote:also....people who use/drive big Weapons/Cars are normally compensating for something, with the exception of Tedd as proven in this comic

This reminds me:
"Well it's just all so amusing, isn't it. I mean only an idiot would assume that this backwater of a planet was safe because you have a few ships with decent shield technology.

You don't look like an idiot to me. So, I have to assume that the reason why you would want to build more ships is, like other men, you like big machines with big engines that fire big missiles because you have a deep-seated need to overcompensate for your own shortcomings."

That's one of my favorite quotes from that show. :)

(but then again, I have a lot of favorite quotes from that show)
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.


I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
User avatar
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: where angels fear to tread

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Acolmuno on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:47 am

Ginny_Weasel wrote:
Chaos Priest wrote:
L0yD3 R33D wrote:also....people who use/drive big Weapons/Cars are normally compensating for something, with the exception of Tedd as proven in this comic

OK, I realize I'm probably missing something here, but... what?


I'm not sure what 'big weapon' Tedd uses that might be taken as over-compensation but, I'd assume in that comic, one could infer that Tedd... doesn't require 'over-compensation', from Grace's comment of 'ooh lala'.

(what's the rating for the forum? Am I allowed to say 'Grace thinks Tedd has a big package!' ?)

She doesn't seem to be looking in that direction, following her line of sight it looks like she's looking at either Tedd's chest or Ellen's groin.
User avatar
Acolmuno
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Nocturn on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am

That's the key problem when an artist isn't capable of thinking in more than two dimensions: It gets hard to tell who characters are looking at when you have more than three characters in a panel. Luckily that's not a problem with EGS anymore.
Image

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
User avatar
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4591
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:46 am

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby bunnyThor on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am

Acolmuno wrote:She doesn't seem to be looking in that direction, following her line of sight it looks like she's looking at either Tedd's chest or Ellen's groin.


Actually, that's Elliot. Ellen didn't exist back then. Her reign of cruel meanness had yet to begin! :cry:
User avatar
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts...

Postby Free Radical on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:53 am

Nightranger wrote:This reminds me:
"Well it's just all so amusing, isn't it. I mean only an idiot would assume that this backwater of a planet was safe because you have a few ships with decent shield technology.

You don't look like an idiot to me. So, I have to assume that the reason why you would want to build more ships is, like other men, you like big machines with big engines that fire big missiles because you have a deep-seated need to overcompensate for your own shortcomings."

Is that all one quote? It seems to change gears in the middle - first the speaker says the planet isn't well defended enough, then says the people in charge are only building more ships because they feel inadequate. Doesn't really seem to make sense...
User avatar
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:10 am

Re:

Postby Turey on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Free Radical wrote:
Nightranger wrote:This reminds me:
"Well it's just all so amusing, isn't it. I mean only an idiot would assume that this backwater of a planet was safe because you have a few ships with decent shield technology.

You don't look like an idiot to me. So, I have to assume that the reason why you would want to build more ships is, like other men, you like big machines with big engines that fire big missiles because you have a deep-seated need to overcompensate for your own shortcomings."

Is that all one quote? It seems to change gears in the middle - first the speaker says the planet isn't well defended enough, then says the people in charge are only building more ships because they feel inadequate. Doesn't really seem to make sense...


It's two different people talking, silly.
User avatar
Turey
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Nightranger on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 pm

No, it's all the same character. The first paragraph isn't the part of the quote I really like, it's more set up.

It's said by the character Vala from Stargate SG-1, from one of the first episodes of season 9, I believe. Basically, now that all of the major bad guys have been defeated (or so they think), the government has decided it wants to basically shut down the SGC so they can shift its funding to making more warships. General Landry and Daniel are at a meeting to attempt to persuade the comittee responsible for this decision that it's a bad idea. Unfortunately, do to a piece of alien technology, Daniel and Vala can't go far away from each other without endangering both of them, so they have to bring Vala too. Which leads to the lines I quoted. She is pointing out that a handful of ships still isn't enough to mount a very effective defence and that only an idiot would think so. She then partronizingly tells the head of the comittee that he doesn't look like an idiot and suggests a possible reason for why he wants to focus so much on ship-building. Needless to say, he didn't find it funny. His secretary who was sitting next to him had to stifle a laugh, though.

The transcript I used to make sure I got the quote correct, if you're interested.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.


I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
User avatar
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: where angels fear to tread

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Loztein on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:23 pm

And here I was thinking noone else watched Stargate here, hmm... Do you watch Atlantis also?
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
User avatar
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:49 am
Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Nightranger on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Yes, and I've seen all three Stargate movies as well.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.


I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
User avatar
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: where angels fear to tread

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/29/02] Stone the blasphemer!

Postby Illusionist on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Is this a bad time to mention I loved Stargate Infinity?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
User avatar
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am
Location: Probably not where I'm supposed to be

Postby Free Radical on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Nightranger wrote:She is pointing out that a handful of ships still isn't enough to mount a very effective defence and that only an idiot would think so. She then partronizingly tells the head of the comittee that he doesn't look like an idiot and suggests a possible reason for why he wants to focus so much on ship-building.

Eh, I dunno. I didn't see the last two or three seasons of Stargate, but even in context she seems to me to be the one coming across as an idiot. "Your planet is basically undefended, surely the only reason you could want to build more ships is because you feel inadequate."? In context of diverting money from the stargate program when we know they're the heroes who're going to save the day it might not be the smartest decision, but wanting a better fleet in and of itself hardly seems deserving of that...
User avatar
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:10 am

 
Next

Return to El Goonish Shive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests