[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/28/02] And so it actually begins...

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/28/02] And so it actually begins...

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:09 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020128.html

Ms. Hoover? I maded the goo but then the goo came alive and it crawled into my mouth and then I eated it. Can I have the stuff to make more goo?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/28/02] And so it actually begins...

Postby kyevan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020128.html

Ms. Hoover? I maded the goo but then the goo came alive and it crawled into my mouth and then I eated it. Can I have the stuff to make more goo?

Don't worry, I'm sure it's nothing an FBI agent, three outtimers (two posing as students, one posing as a teacher), Elliot, and a seemingly permafemale Tess can't handle!

... Not that Tess or Kate actually did much besides run away and/or get beaten on.
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 pm

The first line was amazingly prophetic...
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 pm

From the teacher's expression in the last panel -- frustrated rather than amazed or bemused -- I can only assume that being a teacher in Moperville North is somewhat of an unusual challenge. That, or being Tedd's teacher.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Well, teachers at Moperville North have to put up with monster attacks, an insane principle who probably spends more on murals then teaching materials, students that frighten them immensely, and other such things. Being Tedd's teacher means putting up with Tedd.

So, um, both I guess.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby BinaryWraith on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey, Chaos? Would you mind just doing a single thread if you absolutely -must- do daily one-line reviews of six year old three panel sketch comics?
Last edited by BinaryWraith on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You never saw me. I was never here.
BinaryWraith
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Well, teachers at Moperville North have to put up with monster attacks, an insane principle who probably spends more on murals then teaching materials, students that frighten them immensely, and other such things. Being Tedd's teacher means putting up with Tedd.

So, um, both I guess.

It's a fair cop. As to the scary students bit, I still consider Susan's "Your narcs don't have the guts!" line and the panel that follows it to be a classic of the genre. :)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bunnyThor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:19 am

BinaryWraith wrote:Hey, Chaos? Would you mind just doing a single thread if you absolutely -must- do daily one-line reviews of six year old three panel sketch comics?

Why? It's not taking up unrenewable pagespace. This as on-topic as anything here, with the exception of the current reaction threads, and much more on-topic than some of the fluff that seems to find a permanent home here.

People are currently interested. When they stop being interested, this stuff will sink off the first page, just like every other thread that has run out of juice. Until then, just let them get on with their meta-critical conceit. Some of us find it amusing.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 am

BinaryWraith wrote:Hey, Chaos? Would you mind just doing a single thread if you absolutely -must- do daily one-line reviews of six year old three panel sketch comics?

Calm down, dear, it's just a popular series of threads we're doing for fun.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Tuitsuro wrote:The first line was amazingly prophetic...

I've noticed that before.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos:

Wow, no fourth-wall breaking. This is jarring!

And such a humble start after all that introduction buildup?

Why the heck is goo important to their future? I wonder if that's supposed to be funny, or just represent a generic lab experiment.

...Also, it would seem Tedd is either Mihoshi-level dangerous in a lab, or a bit of a mad-scientist.

== August 30, 2008 ==

Crystal:

The preceding were my thoughts upon first reading the 2002-01-28 strip.

In reply to Binary Wraith, I am among those who enjoy these S.T.O.R.Y. threads. I also prefer that strip receive it's own thread - if it were all in one thread, we'd wind up jumping around all through the archives, as different people re-read through them or got around to posting at different paces. By having separate threads, those of us who come in late don't have to jump into the middle of a discussion of a totally different strip than the one we're commenting on.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive