[S.T.O.R.Y 1/22/02] - Denial of Fanservice

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y 1/22/02] - Denial of Fanservice

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:07 am

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020122.html

Ah, there's nothing like a good old fashion appeal to the lowest common denominator. Or at least, there's nothing like that in this comic. Sarah's protest kinda makes me wonder though, does the TFG have a pig form? I personally don't see any appeal or advantage myself (unless you wanted to go root for truffles), but some people seem to think pigs are cute, and for all I know that includes Grace or Tedd.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y 1/22/02] - Denial of Fanservice

Postby Ineluki on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:15 am

By all that holy... when you mentioned a pig form, the first that came to my mind was this beast: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Dire_boar
%-) (yes, my mind is a strange place)
Also: it's amazing how much one single panel can call attention to the fact that there are no backgrounds ^^
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby mixedintrests on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:39 am

Hmm... some see it and say "no backgrounds". I see it and say "possibility'! :)
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
~Mark Twain~

*** Participating in the Gender-Swap Avitar fun! In light of having a gender neutral name I shall simply change my name like so: interestsmixed! It's swaped SEE???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Years of Bunny-ness: Over 2 Years!
Posts so far: 230
Newbies Glomped: 12 (First: 3)
Newbie Packages given: 5
TOTAL XP: 1,125

Bunny Level 6 Achieved!

Oh! And this:
mixedintrests
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CooperNRG on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

Well, Guineas is a pig of sorts...I know he's not the product of the TFG, but still, we have a pig of sorts in the comic already.
"Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

Caboose - Red vs Blue

CooperNRG
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

Nice subversion of the standard "fanservice to replace writing skill" crap.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:18 am

CooperNRG wrote:Well, Guineas is a pig of sorts...I know he's not the product of the TFG, but still, we have a pig of sorts in the comic already.

Oh man... I just pictured Guineas' were-guinea pig form in a bikini :gonk:
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby CooperNRG on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:25 am

*Hands Chaos Priest the Brain Bleach*

Sorry... :oops:
"Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

Caboose - Red vs Blue

CooperNRG
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 am

You're all sissies.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Indon on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:31 am

Well, we seem to have rounded out a traditional three-person ensemble. I suspect there'll be some romance between the three - and considering this author's current trend of doing the least expected, I suspect it's between Sarah and Tedd.
"We shall not rest until all will be thine."

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
CGS d- s-:+ a-- C++$ U? P L E- W++ N? o? w+ O M? V? PS+ PE- Y? PGP t+ 5++ X+ R++ tv-- b++>$ DI++ D++ G e h- r-- y--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Indon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Bobthespirit on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 am

I'm glad EGS doesn't have much fanservice. It's fine to show some scantily sketched female characters when and where the plot calls for it, but don't go out of your way to do it just to manipulate us.

Too much fanservice is a good way to turn me off to a comic really quickly.

The cool thing about shapeshifting is that in and of itself, without any kind of other fantastic ability it only has small subtle uses. You can't use it and automatically win, you have to use it cleverly.
Bobthespirit
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Indon wrote:Well, we seem to have rounded out a traditional three-person ensemble. I suspect there'll be some romance between the three - and considering this author's current trend of doing the least expected, I suspect it's between Sarah and Tedd.

I agree! Let the shipping commence!
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Bobthespirit wrote:I'm glad EGS doesn't have much fanservice. It's fine to show some scantily sketched female characters when and where the plot calls for it, but don't go out of your way to do it just to manipulate us.

Too much fanservice is a good way to turn me off to a comic really quickly.

The ironic thing is that the entire now-over-a-week's worth of fillers we've just had has been basically fanservice. (Dan even stated as much.)
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Basically, yes. Zappy = higher traffic, and I was worried about a traffic dip during the fillers that would've cost me serious ad revenue. I wound up getting a spike instead ^^;
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:54 pm

DarkShive wrote:Basically, yes. Zappy = higher traffic, and I was worried about a traffic dip during the fillers that would've cost me serious ad revenue. I wound up getting a spike instead ^^;

Well duh, what did you expect with five updates a week instead of just three. ^^

Seriously, these fillers have been nice. While I am very much looking forward to seeing the story resume, I still think college is more important and am quite content to make do with the fillers till you have the time again.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:24 pm

*Crystal appears in Chronos' bedroom, Spring 2006, shortly after she left.*

Chronos: You again?

Crystal: Hiya! So, whacha think of the second strip?

Chronos: Well, it's kinda neat having the author admit he's still setting things up - most Webcomics I've read are just as awkward at first, but the story has already started. At least here the author is getting that stage over with before getting things rolling.

Chronos: Oh, and the combination of perversion and feminism is a nice touch; I think I like the way this author thinks.

Crystal: Dan. His name is Dan Shive.

Chronos: Whatever.

Crystal: Well, I guess that's it for now. I'll be back when you've read the third strip.

*Crystal vanishes in a flash of blue light.*

*Chronos scratches his head.*
Chronos: Why doesn't she just stay here instead of jumping back and forth each time?

===Back in 2008===

Ineluki wrote:Also: it's amazing how much one single panel can call attention to the fact that there are no backgrounds ^^
What are you talking about?! There's a line showing the division between the floor and the wall! Or the ground and the sky. Or the ground and the wall. The point is, there's a line in the background.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive