[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/21/02] - And so it begins...

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/21/02] - And so it begins...

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 am

I personally hate whiny people who post in threads they are not interested in just to make putdowns.

In fact, I hate people who post for the sole purpose of posting about things they don't like and saying they wish people would stop.

I wish they would stop doing that.

:shifty:
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:37 am

That's interesting, because I don't like people who complain about a person's recent behaviour, but don't realise that if they would go back and read the first goddamn page they would be proved wrong.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:16 am

Illusionist wrote:That's interesting, because I don't like people who complain about a person's recent behaviour, but don't realise that if they would go back and read the first goddamn page they would be proved wrong.

Sheesh. Ease up there, I was not going for you personally. As a matter of fact, that was why I finished that silly thing above with taking a potshot at myself.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:02 am

Nocturn wrote:
Also, it might be worth having more than 1 comic in each thread

Good idea.
or maybe more than 1 thread per day

Horrible, horrible idea.

Tarvok wrote:Also, while I kind of prefer having one comic per thread, and maybe one thread every day or two, I'm not totally opposed to having a few comics per thread. Not too many, though.

Personally I prefer topics just cover 1 comic myself, and I'm not really looking to "catch up" with the current ones. But hey, if most of you would prefer a week-span I'm willing to do it, though I'm going to go ahead and finish up the first week with individual topics. So, anybody else care to chime in?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 am

Chaos Priest wrote:Personally I prefer topics just cover 1 comic myself, and I'm not really looking to "catch up" with the current ones. But hey, if most of you would prefer a week-span I'm willing to do it, though I'm going to go ahead and finish up the first week with individual topics. So, anybody else care to chime in?

*scratches head* Well, given that the first episodes tend to be just one strip in length and one a day it would likely be better to do them three at a time, or maybe a week at a time. Also, to give more to comment on, maybe we should skip ahead to the first real story episodes. Possibly 'Shade, part one.'
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Daremo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:04 am

For some reason, I always liked mouthless Tedd.
"Maybe he's wise."
"He don't look wise."

Daremo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.

Postby Tarvok on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:42 pm

How about one comic per thread, but one thread per day, including weekends, except either Saturday or Sunday, depending upon your denomination and/or personal preferences.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Tarvok wrote:How about one comic per thread, but one thread per day, including weekends, except either Saturday or Sunday, depending upon your denomination and/or personal preferences.

Well I was going to go with three threads a week because I didn't want to crowd out other topics, but that may be a good idea.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:
Tarvok wrote:How about one comic per thread, but one thread per day, including weekends, except either Saturday or Sunday, depending upon your denomination and/or personal preferences.

Well I was going to go with three threads a week because I didn't want to crowd out other topics, but that may be a good idea.

What other topics?

We have the most current comic/filler thread, one or two on-topic threads talking about some aspect of EGS, and dozens of threads of fluff.

Crowding out some of the fluff would not be a bad thing. :grumble:
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Hmm... point taken.

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:09 am

...seeing the first 20 threads being nothing but "reaction" threads to old comics would be bad. You'd be outnumbering the actual story comics 7 to 3...possibly even more, depending on how things work out with Dan and his schedule. It would rapidly grow into a cluster-**** of epic proportions.

And really...especially as time goes by, there will be less and less to say about each individual comic. Do it a week of comics at a time.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nocturn on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:19 am

Illusionist wrote:
Tarvok wrote:Oookay, guys. The "wow, I totally have never read this comic before, and it's totally 2002 or whatever!" joke is funny. I just hope it gets old.

I think the sarcastic predictions are worse. "That's as likely as there being a squirrel girl!" Yeah, that isn't getting dull at all.

I have to agree here. Desecrating equine corpses is not the way to go, people.

My hypothetical reaction, at least, was as honest as possible. Frankly, I do believe that first comic is horrible, and if it had been the first EGS comic I saw, I wouldn't have given the comic a chance to begin with. I started shortly after Painted Black, read Painted Black, and decided to go through the archives. Only because I read the later things first was I able to say "Okay, so these first introductory comics are absolutely horrible, but it's not too unusual for a webcomic author to start out horrible and get better". You know, as opposed to "What the [expletive deleted] is this [expletive deleted]? Gawd."

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CooperNRG on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:13 am

Actually, I started out from the very beginning (a friend of mine linked it to me sometime last month, but I need to start ANY story at the beginning or else I feel I'm missing somthing). Now that I've read the whole comic, I can go back and just enjoy certain arcs (mostly PB and Sister, but the Birthday is good too).
"Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

Caboose - Red vs Blue

CooperNRG
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 am

Why the HELL did you start with Painted Black and not the first comic? Is that normal where you come from? Did you watch Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite before you watched The Dawn of Man?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:48 am

Illusionist wrote:Why the HELL did you start with Painted Black and not the first comic? Is that normal where you come from? Did you watch Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite before you watched The Dawn of Man?

Because when I started it was the latest completed arc. That way I generally know what to expect of a webcomic, so when a comic does start badly, I won't reject it immediately.

Let's face it, when you visit elgoonishshive.com, you don't see the first, but the latest comic. The latest comic will always be the first impression for newcomers, and where they technically start EGS with.

In fact, sometimes I don't even bother with earlier parts of webcomics. If I feel the quality of the beginning just doesn't compare, I sometimes don't even bother with the beginning at all. I have webcomics that I follow without having read the first comics.

And then there's also my habit of sometimes reading webcomics backwards starting with the latest one.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:49 am

There's several comics that I would have quit reading if I had started with the beginning before getting a taste of it. Let's face it...some comics are *really* awful at the beginning, but do get better as they progress.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:30 am

I started reading from the start.
Had that start been all there was I probably wouldn't have come back, but I really hate starting a story in the middle.
It gets a lot better quite quickly (catnip is still one of my favourite arcs).
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:02 pm

I dislike jumping into the middle of a story. With webcomics I always start at the beginning (unless the author has re-organized the comics or posted easily visible instructions to start at a specific point). If the beginning can't hold my interest, then I don't bother with the rest of the comic. Of course, I never judge by a single strip - I give a series a good 10-20 comics, sometimes more, to convince me it's worth reading.

...Moving on to the first EGS strip... I've never caught the first strip by an author I'm not familiar with as it came out, so I have no idea what I would have thought if I had stumbled upon EGS back in 2002 (other than "Cool! I'm online!").

Instead, I'll travel back to 2006, and ask my past self his thoughts upon reading the first strip.

*Crystal time-teleports to the spring of 2006.*
*Crystal sees Chronos sitting at his laptop.*
*Chronos senses Crystal's arrival, and turns to look at her. He blinks a moment, then speaks.*

Chronos: Are you... a future me?

Crystal: Yup!

Chronos: I guess we're still interested in TG stuff in the future then, huh?

Crystal: That right. I was checking out webcomics with TG content at this point. wasn't I?

Chronos: Yeah. I just started in on El Goon Shive.

Crystal: Oh good, I arrived just in time. Oh, and it's "Goonish", not "Goon".

Chronos: Whatever. I take it this is an important series to us in your timeline?

*Crystal smiles mysteriously and wiggles her eyebrows.*

Crystal: Anyway, I'm here to ask you your thoughts on the first strip of EGS, so I can share those thoughts with the Bunnies of the future.

Chronos: The who?!

*Crystal tries to whistle innocently, then realizes she still hasn't gotten around to learning how to whistle.*

Chronos: Oookay... Well, Elliot's wrong, this strip didn't suck. The art isn't the greatest, but it's passable, and the strip was quite hilarious. Although, I assumed Tedd was male from the start.

Crystal: That it?

Chronos: Well, yeah. It's a short strip. Can I check out the next strip now?

Crystal: Be my guest.

*Crystal travels ahead to August 22nd 2008.*

Wait... It's Saturday now? Oops, I missed my return target by a few hours. Oh well, that's still a lot better than those story chapters that got misplaced by months.

As for the commentary, all I can say is - Dan's been adding commentary to the early strips? Why was I not informed of this?!

...Oh, and I vote that we have a reaction thread for each comic, but no more than one "new" "S.T.O.R.Y." thread posted per day - with actual new comics and reaction threads three times a week, that should be enough to keep the S.T.O.R.Y. threads from being the only thing on the front page.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive