[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/21/02] - And so it begins...

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 1/21/02] - And so it begins...

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:17 am

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020121.html

Yeah, first comics do tend to suck, and I'm not seeing much of a difference here. There really isn't much here to keep my interest. I mean, breaking the 4th wall to say the strip sucks usually isn't a good idea. Besides, this guy draws like a newt! :P

------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick explanation of the thread. The acronym stands for "Story Threads Of Retro Years" (it's the best I could come up with), and that's pretty much what this is. The idea was pretty much an odd thought that popped into my head while I was taking a shower this morning, and I always at least give the voices in my head a chance to make their case. I realized that the vast majority of us haven't been around from the beginning, and have missed out on the opportunity to post in reaction threads from way back when. While necromancy is bad, even if somebody did want to do it the first reaction thread I could see on this forum was from October 2, 2003. So my solution: time travel!

OK, maybe not. But I thought this would be an interesting way to take geeky fandom one step further. The responses to this need not be in the perspective of back then. Mentioning things you liked about a strip, what you didn't like, something you missed, questions you had, or other stuff would be just fine. As for how often to make a thread like this this, I wouldn't want the forum to get absolutely swamped with these things (assuming of course that it continues past this one). So... maybe they could go through at the theoretical rate of strip production these days? About one every other day/three a week?
Last edited by Chaos Priest on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 1/21/02] - And so it begins...

Postby Raging Mouse on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:30 am

Oh, don't judge so hastily. Surely by the first week we've seen some cheesecake, at the very least.

By the way, just to out an insane idea, perhaps you could post the address of the strip, or maybe create an URL to it or some such wizardry... :P
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tarvok on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 am

This is an awesome idea; I'm glad I thought of it!

(Seriously, I did think of it a while ago, I just figured I'd save it for a more lengthy hiatus.) I'm glad you're doing this. I've always wanted the ability to participate in the reaction threads to the old comics, and now I can! :D

And so, we begin assembling the cast of Gamer Comic (tm). We've got the Wacky Guy (Tedd). We've got His Friend (Elliot). Now all we need is The Chick, and we're ready to roll!
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:33 am

Raging Mouse wrote:By the way, just to out an insane idea, perhaps you could post the address of the strip, or maybe create an URL to it or some such wizardry... :P

Brilliant!

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ineluki on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:37 am

Hmmm, cool stuff. :D

I think the commentary would be even better if Dan would write without caring about spoilers... or he could write a "hidden" spoiler paragraph (white text on white bacckground or something)
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:01 am

The Lampshade Hanging's been done so many times before. Hopefully this guy can think up some original stuff. However, the punchline made me chuckle. A bit.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 am

Subpar art, lacking character dynamic, and breaking the fourth wall already in the first comic.

I don't think I'll be following this comic.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:16 am

Be fair, it's the first one. Compare the first season of The Simpsons to the episodes that are actually good.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kyrio on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:36 am

I didn't really have a hard time determining Tedd was a guy. Hopefully he'll get better at portraying ambiguous gender later on.
Last edited by Kyrio on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level!"
"IT'S...1006"
"Really?"
"Yeah, kick his ass, Nappa."
Kyrio
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BZWingZero on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 am

Illusionist wrote:Be fair, it's the first one. Compare the first season of The Simpsons to the episodes that are actually good.

So, compare the 1st season of the Simpsons to the 1st season of the Simpsons?
This message encrypted with ROT26 to ensure a secure communication channel.
BZWingZero
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:38 am

You think the 1st season was good? I've never met anyone like that.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BZWingZero on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:43 am

The 1st season had many good episodes. Most of them established the quirkiness of the series and helped to define what the Simpsons is.

But, back to the topic at hand, For a first comic its alright. Its got a decent punch line, I just wonder if it'll become another gag-a-day comic like the bajillions out there already.
This message encrypted with ROT26 to ensure a secure communication channel.
BZWingZero
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kingwerewolf on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:21 am

Wow, he can draw better than I can... I wish I had that much ability... *sigh*
No, I am not a werewolf.
Yes, I have a webcomic (check profile)
No, you may not be in it.

Once upon a time there was a man named muffin. He wasn't always a named such. He changed it because his dream was to be a singing and dancing muffin. One day (through the powers of spontaneity) Muffin got his wish. He was SO HAPPY! Then someone ate him. The End

Image and proudly proud of it!

Goon, actually, is often used older media as to describe comedians. i.e The Goon Show and the three goons.
SO! El Goonish Shive could also mean The funny Shive!
kingwerewolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:55 am

What the gingersnaps does the title mean? *scratches head*
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03 am

You meanies! I just got started! Who are you to talk?! Forget you, then! I QUIT! *storms off to vent on Livejournal*

Ok, seriously, does this mean there'll be reaction threads to the commentary when they're added to the archives?
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby kingwerewolf on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:07 am

DarkShive wrote:You meanies! I just got started! Who are you to talk?! Forget you, then! I QUIT! *storms off to vent on Livejournal*

Ok, seriously, does this mean there'll be reaction threads to the commentary when they're added to the archives?

Judging from the quirkiness of the EGS fans, it could go either way. They're like the Joker with a rubber chicken: you don't know if the chicken's a nuke or just a rubber chicken. You just have to try to make the best call.
No, I am not a werewolf.

Once upon a time there was a man named muffin. He wasn't always a named such. He changed it because his dream was to be a singing and dancing muffin. One day (through the powers of spontaneity) Muffin got his wish. He was SO HAPPY! Then someone ate him. The End

Goon, actually, is often used older media as to describe comedians. i.e The Goon Show and the three goons.
kingwerewolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby WalkerBoh on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:39 am

Eh, I'll give it a shot. I can't really tell, though: is Tedd smiling in the first three panels, or is that his nose? If that's his nose, where is his mouth?
You are in my Monkeysphere.
KimberBoh - Sister 2 Gender-swapped bunny
Winner of the Golden Udder

My Gear
WalkerBoh, Lord of Halloween
WalkerBoh, Prince of Winter
Master of the Universe
Compliments of Cerridwen
WalkerBoh
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:46 am

WalkerBoh wrote:Eh, I'll give it a shot. I can't really tell, though: is Tedd smiling in the first three panels, or is that his nose? If that's his nose, where is his mouth?

I think I know. He's obviously supposed to be a geeky engineer nerd, so hence he is like Dilbert: no mouth.

I bet in later comics we'll see him make crazy inventions like goo coming to life and transmogrification devices.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kingwerewolf on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:55 am

The Old Hack wrote:
WalkerBoh wrote:Eh, I'll give it a shot. I can't really tell, though: is Tedd smiling in the first three panels, or is that his nose? If that's his nose, where is his mouth?

I think I know. He's obviously supposed to be a geeky engineer nerd, so hence he is like Dilbert: no mouth.

I bet in later comics we'll see him make crazy inventions like goo coming to life and transmogrification devices.

Are you kidding? That's ridiculus! What type of author would have their characters get involved in THAT kid of madness? I squirrel-girl, maybe, but living goo? No way!
No, I am not a werewolf.

kingwerewolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 am

DarkShive wrote:Ok, seriously, does this mean there'll be reaction threads to the commentary when they're added to the archives?

Um... maybe? I admit the existence of commentary was not a part of my original plans. I was just going to go through the archives with this, commentary or no. But this is still in the formative stages, so it's not like there can't be changes made.

If you think I'm going to go through the archives repeatingly to see what comics have had commentary added to them though, you're nuts.
Last edited by Chaos Priest on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby CooperNRG on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:19 am

kingwerewolf wrote:
The Old Hack wrote wrote:I bet in later comics we'll see him make crazy inventions like goo coming to life and transmogrification devices.

Are you kidding? That's ridiculus! What type of author would have their characters get involved in THAT kid of madness? I squirrel-girl, maybe, but living goo? No way!

Come on! A squirrel-girl? That's about as nuts as say...a guy who can turn into a hedgehog...or an artifact that cures curses! There's no way such things can be put into a comic that'll be any good. If this Dan guy is crazy enough to try to pull even one of those, this comic is a goner!
"Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

Caboose - Red vs Blue

CooperNRG
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tricia on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:48 am

Needs more bunnies.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Tricia wrote:Needs more bunnies.

Good idea! I say we call the fans who comment and post about the comic for bunnies.
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kelvandil on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm

DarkShive wrote:Ok, seriously, does this mean there'll be reaction threads to the commentary when they're added to the archives?
How long has that (the commentary) been there?
Procrastinating Bunny
I'll fix a banner someday.

Avatar by ProfessorTomoe. Thankies!
Tenshisama wrote:Crazy convoluted theory #437: The Beatles are living inside Tedd. We don't know how this affects anything, but it's a handy bit of information.
majinbuttercup wrote:I really am not a freak obsessed with the sex lives of squirrels. I was just curious.
Kelvandil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Minimiscience on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Kelvandil wrote:How long has that (the commentary) been there?

Well, the commentary for the first comic says that "now" is "June 21, 2008," so I'm going to go out on a limb and say "since June 21, 2008."
"So you see, my lad, the true moral behind the Battle of Trenton is that if you party too hardy, George Washington will kick your ass. Any questions?" -- Mr. Verres
Minimiscience
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive