Video Game to Movie Survey.

The newest, hat-filled creation from the man who brought you PENTASMAL!

Moderator: Sleepy Jim

Best Movie Based off a Video Game

Final Fantasy
28%
Mario Brothers
6%
Double Dragon
No votes
Mortal Kombat
28%
Street Fighter
11%
Resident Evil
11%
Other
17%

Total votes : 18

Video Game to Movie Survey.

Postby YarnIsland on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:59 pm

Sorry if I missed any guys, I did my best to think of them all, but I am still sure I missed a couple, anyways these are the basic ones, if you think of one I forgot to mention, chose other and lemme know what it is!

PS- I know most of them were stupid, just keep in mind its just a fun survey, if you don't like the movies, don't vote, and don't post.

Thanks!
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:32 pm

My vote goes to FF, because no-one else will vote for it. Otherwise it'd have gone with Mario Brothers, which was the least shitful of the lot.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:15 pm

I can't believe you said Mario brothers was better than Mortal Kombat.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:13 pm

I have to agree with both of you. As much as people hated Final Fantasy, I thought the movie was great. I saw it the day it opened, and I now own the DVD, that's right.

And for the Mortal Kombat vote. The first movie was amazing. Of course I was probably in elementary school when it came out so I was easily entertained, but I still do like it. Now number two is another story. I dodn't enjoy it, but that may have been because they killed Johnny Cage in the first 5 minutes of the movie. That pissed me off so hard core.

But I still cannot bring myself to vote for just one...
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:33 pm

I don't remember much of MK, seeing as I haven't seen it in many many years.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby TFBrett on Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:49 pm

Street Fighter was golden back in the day. I can't remember a bloody thing about it at this point, but I remember loving it.
TFBrett
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wedley on Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:06 pm

The best ever movie made from a computer game is a manga called 'Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie'. Others you could have listed include Alien vs Predator, Resident Evil, and, well, a tonne of others. The live-action Street Fighter with Van Damme is the worst movie ever made from a computer game, closely followed by the Mario Brothers movie, with Pong coming a distant third.

The most successful adaptation on this list is Mortal Kombat. While the Final Fantasy movie was technically better, it was also more of a failure, in that it totally failed to satisfy fans of the games. However, I have a feeling that the upcoming CGI movie 'Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children' will knock the Street Fighter manga off the top position. From what I've seen of it, it looks awesome, and looks much more in the vein of the game than any other adaptation of a video game to film.

I can't believe I registered just to post that. Oh well. I love Men in Hats, so maybe I'll find other things to talk about.
Wedley
Junior Keenspotter

Postby YarnIsland on Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:31 pm

I feel a little bit special for making a topic that caused you to register :)

Thanks for you post. Hm, I've never heard of that street fighter manga movie, and I am willing to bet that not many others here have. I was going for main stream movie theatre movies you know? I did include Resident Evil, maybe you just missed it.

I agree with the live-action Street Fighter being pretty bad. I remember his hair being all funny. I was one of the few that enjoyed the story line of the Final Fantasy movie. The Mario story line was a little thin, but I have to admit I enjoyed the hell out of it. And although Mortal Kombat may have been the most /successful/ movie, I was just asking for your favorite, so success doesn't have much to do with it here, as I am sure you know. And for Advant Children. Um, I don't even want to get into that because of how good it looks. First off its beautiful, second off it has just about all the characters, and and....oh man, I just want it to come out already.

After making this survey I have realized that I have not seen many of these movies in quite some time and am probably going to rent some this week.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:20 am

The Street Fighter II animated film was awesome, and it included Vega! Remember him?

Yeah, Advent Children looks sweet, and from what I hear of it's showings, has been well liked. I have no doubt that a local (Aus) DVD release is far too much to hope for, but it'll be easy enought to order online. I can't wait.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:40 pm

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within isn't a video game movie.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby surroundedbyidiots on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:26 pm

don't get picky face butt.
MASKED AVENGER, AWAY!!!!!
surroundedbyidiots
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Padriac on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:13 pm

Mario bros was so horribly awesome, I think i saw it when i was like 7
Padriac
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby YarnIsland on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:42 pm

EventSpire wrote:Final Fantasy: Spirits Within isn't a video game movie.

i don't think any of those movie's stories were based straight from a video game. Mario wasn't for sure, Resident Evil 1 I don't remember playing. Anyways you get the point, the movie was called Final Fantasy, Square Soft made it, I included it in the choices.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:36 pm

Final Fantasy: Spirits within had nothing to do with any game. I'd argue it was not even in the style of the company that made it. To say that it has relation beyond a name is either a lie or a trick. mario Brothers ahd the Mario brothers and rescued a girl and fought lizard people. That was close. Mortal Kombat was as close as it got. Same with Street Fighter. Resident Evil had zombies, and Umbrella Corp, and what's her face. It even had creatures from the game. FF:SW had nothing to do with a game. It wasn't supposed to. This was Square branching off into their film avenue. It was a good idea; they sure had the credentials to. Only the company made it with no relation to anything, which wouldn't be bad, but they had the FF tag on it. That's why I am saying what I am saying. Look here: How did you know it was a Mario Brothers film? You could clearly identify with stuff in it. Had this movie been made in the style of a Final Fantasy game I would lean to be alright with this, but I am not. it was a sci-fi action adventure movie. That has nothing to do with the name. I am not picky, I am saying the choice to have it in is false. We are here to talk video game movies, so that is what I am doing.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:43 pm

okay, great.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:45 pm

To be fair, most of that was directed towards surroundedbyidiots cause he is a prick.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:08 pm

That's nice, but you're wrong.

Spirits Within was in the style of Final Fantasy, or, was in the style of the true Final Fantasies, not the new ones. The Final Fantasy series has always been about self-contained story-arcs all set within the same universe, or if you'd rather, similar worlds. No sequels. no repeating characters. Then there's the familiar storyline: World is in trouble, a few brave souls must band together to try and save it from certain destruction/doom. Moral/ethical/spiritual themes get involved, and a sacrifice(s) is/are usually made. In the end 'good' triumphs, and there's a little moral or something for you to think about, etc.
Spirits Within adhered to those characteristics, and I think it is very much a video game movie.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:33 pm

Ah hah, now here we go.

You are making comments on the structure of the stories, but I am looking at that and saying: Final Fantasy makes no claims to structure. And to say that world peril is solely in their domain is also incorrect. I look more at finer story elements: The qualities of love interests, villains, fantastic locations, creative imagery, and maybe all sorts of plot twists. I saw nothing of the sort there. I didn't even see a band of people getting together! I saw a pre formed group, having no signifigant difference, and the pivotal character of the female having some involvement with one of the guys. That, and the old scientist. Sacrifies are made, good triumphs: Welcome to every movie ever. That is not Just Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy has other claims to fame and all other kinds of things that make it unique beasides a structure that most other stories have. I mean, Final Fantasy never really has much departure anyway. Most stories don't. Those core ideas you mentioned are all over, and FF is all visual and in the details and characters and all that. That is what makes it glow and breathe. They are in the themes, the atompshere, and most of the events (most of which I already mentioned).

here is my thing: I don't think Square went into this with the intention of making it in the style of their games. if they took the FF name out then it would be passed off as something completely different. At this point with the trend made and the trench dug, you can't say it is a departure. When you do that, I say you're a liar and I can't take anything seriously (Not towards you- I am talking to imagianry Square if they ever used that excuse).
And don't ever say I am wrong. I might be mistaken but wrong is such a sharp thing to say. That hurt, man.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:39 pm

EventSpire wrote:To be fair, most of that was directed towards surroundedbyidiots cause he is a prick.

Okay.

And I sorry for putting Final Fantasy as a choice. I tried to keep it simple with the survey by thining "Final Fantasy is a popular video game, oh and hey there is a movie named Final Fantasy, I'll put it down." But then again maybe I am not sorry because I find this discussion between the two of you very interesting, and I can take either side, but will not. Hm, I don't know. Funny thing is if it isn't a "video game to movie" it is still currently winning, heh.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby you are all sheep on Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:32 pm

although i agree that final fantasy is the best video game movie since burgertime, i have to wonder why tomb raider is not on the list, i mean there is like three of them or something.

Hey what about Tron?
...he buzzes like a fridge, he's like detuned radio
you are all sheep
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Jiperly on Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:55 pm

Tron was a movie that turned into a game, not a game that turned into a movie.

And whose the wiseass who choose Mario Bros? I mean, come on- i have better looking films slowly slide out of my ass.
I have nothing to put here.
Except that...
...and that.......
...and that.......
...and that.......
...and that.......
...and that....

...and that.
Jiperly
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby YarnIsland on Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:33 pm

You'll note that in the first post I mentioned how I probably forgot some of them. Tomb Raider and Tron are two of them. I am sorry for the inconviences this may have caused you.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:34 am

EventSpire wrote:Ah hah, now here we go.
That hurt, man.

Okay, I've read that over a few times now, but it doesn't make a huge deal of sense to me right now. Truth be told, I've been drinking for the past twleve hours, and I'm not entirely sober right now (oh lordy, lordy). The point being this: I may not have anything good to say right now (well, nothing I'd hazard posting in this state), but I'm leaving this here as a marker. I mean to counter what you said, just not this very second. Give me a good 10 hours or so to sleep, and I'll be right as rain and ready to argue.

Also: Tomb Raider sucked hard, and Tron should not ever be included in this poll: It doesn't count.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:33 am

*patiently waits for Psyonide to sober up*

And for the next person who wants to be cool and point out that I left out a movie, how about if it's your choice, vote for the 'other' option I was so kind to include. If it's not your favorite, then it just doesn't matter so please don't bother.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby surroundedbyidiots on Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:41 pm

hmm, i wonder what i should say here in response?

i think i'll say:

Don't mention tron, a lot of us want to forget that happened.

To contribute to conversation: none of the final fantasy stories are linked, as was already said by psyonide. So the point is, the stories (and thats basically what a video game is, a choose your own adventure story) are not connected. Square has been using a popular title for a decade to sell games. As for "style" I have no idea what exactly face butt was trying to say, I think he started to explain himself, then quickly found the point was empty and devoid of support. Every final fantasy game is different in many ways from one another. The movie was a sci fi yes, but many FF games have sci fi elements, so that doesn't really seperate it there. Final Fantasy is more of a brand name than anything else. Just like any clothing company might make pants and shirts, they're not the same but they're still from the same maker. That's basically what this is. It's not following directly any of their games, but then again, they don't tend to do that with anything. And for the record, I do not acknowledge the existence of FF X-2.
MASKED AVENGER, AWAY!!!!!
surroundedbyidiots
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Men In Hats