Texas is Stupid

The newest, hat-filled creation from the man who brought you PENTASMAL!

Moderator: Sleepy Jim

Postby Scud422 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:32 pm

Well, do you know of any non-emo bands that have a day of the week in their name? Plus, there could be more emo bands that I do not know of, and this lack of knowledge is due to the fact that I hate emo.
Scud422
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby YarnIsland on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:14 pm

I Love Lloyd wrote:either way, new bands or not, 1997 or 1994, they still suck almost willingly.

well now that you changed it, i will accept you not liking the bands. I just wanted to let you know that most bands that you think are new, probably are not.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:08 pm

Scud422 wrote:Well, do you know of any non-emo bands that have a day of the week in their name? Plus, there could be more emo bands that I do not know of, and this lack of knowledge is due to the fact that I hate emo.

Scudsy, if you're going to come out and make a claim, have evidence, and don't say "There must be _____ that I am not counting". You hate emo, whatever, door prize. If you're making a claim, get some knowledge.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Angry_Zucchini on Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:58 pm

All this talk of emo makes me want to cry. It also makes me want to punch myself in the man-nuggets. That would probably cause less pain than listening to "emo" music, if that's even a word. If anybody needs me, I'll be in the corner masturbating to a list of all 610 up-to-date Eventspire posts. Jesus, who knew one man/woman/robot could be so goddamn hot.
Sir, I believe there is a large zucchini growing in your pants.
Angry_Zucchini
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Scud422 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:06 pm

How many emo bands does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None, let them fucking cry in the dark.
Scud422
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby This Here Giraffe on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:24 pm

That was actually clever... it made me laugh. As for the rest of you.... the shame... no one is ever going to agree on music. Good job on finding something else to bitch at eachother about
This Here Giraffe
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby EventSpire on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:28 pm

Scud422 wrote:How many emo bands does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None, let them fucking cry in the dark.

Okay, I'll give you credit because that was funny.

And Giraffesky, if we don't argue, where is the fun? Nowhere, that's where.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:52 pm

good good point. lol @ how 87% of these posts are us arguing with eachother. I guess that's what we do, and damn if we do it well.

-thumbs up-

ps- i like emo, HAHA
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:24 am

*gasp*

But, like, it's trendy to hate EMO! You don't want to not be trendy do you?!

Yeah, I don't get this 'All EMO is crap, I'm so fucking hardcore' thing. Sure, theres a lot of shit EMO music, but theres a lot of other shit music too, and I don't see too many people walking around proclaiming that all music is shit.

Perhaps everyone just needs to have a genre of music to hate, and many are sick of venting their frustrations on 'pop'.
Personally I'll continue raging against bullshit 'mass-marketed pop' because, I can say with confidence, that it's the genre (for me) with the least likable music in it.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby Padriac on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:22 am

Emo can be good, woo Bright Eyes
Padriac
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby VeronicaMae on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:50 am

Hey, I'm new here, and a new discoverer of the MIH comics. Anyhoo.

I live in Texas, have for a few months now, I love it. I don't see an outrageous number of fat people where I live, but Houston DOES statistically have the most overweight people in the country. The slogan is not entirely wrong...

BTW Brady Kj, I graduated from UND in May...small world.
VeronicaMae
Junior Keenspotter

Postby YarnIsland on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:51 pm

okay-

to say this next statement I must retract my last one in which I said I like emo. I think that to me, genre's are stupid, and I dislike them, and dislike all bands being catagorized into a certain one. There are many many bands that don't fit into just one genre, so when it's placed into one such as 'emo' they really might not be the emo you are thinking of, and you will just assume they suck because you don't like emo. I don't like saying I like a specific genre because then I feel obligated to like all bands in that genre, and I think when I say I like emo people will think I like everyband in that genre. That is why I retracted my past statement.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:09 pm

Genres are good. They are a title. Most bands like genres. Most of them WANT to be in a certain genre. Most people use it as a title for whatever sub culture they have. Like, Metal. Or punk.
Without them you wouldn't know what the fuck you are looking at and nothing to govern your tastes by. It gives you an idea of what to expect. If you don't like anything with guitar, you can say "I don't like rock". There you go.
Whatever people assume, that is their problem.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:13 pm

Spire is largely correct. Granted, there are many BS 'genres' out there (I'm looking at you, people who go around making up genres on the fly), but by-and-large they are useful. How are you going to try and describe a band without at least a passing mention of genres? "Oh, you know, they're got a vocalist, a guitar, drums, bass... they sometimes use samples... they kind of sound like this other band, but also like these guys... pity there aren't any musical catagories I could link them to so you could understand what I was talking about."
Anyone who carries on about hating a band, before hearing them, just because they've been filed under a certain catagory is a dipshit. It's as simple as that. Sure, I (generally) hate pop, but that doesn't mean that there's none of it that I like.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:56 pm

okay, cool.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Alien-8 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:03 pm

Any music that has to repeat the chorus more then twice so that you will remember their shitty song is crap in my book. No matter what band/genre. Altho some of it can come off as catchy, which controdicts my previous statment.......Look a baloon.....
A man walks into a phsyciatrist wearing nothing but syran wrap. The physciatrist takes one look at him and says "I can clearly see your nuts".
Alien-8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Scud422 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:47 pm

Psyonide wrote:Perhaps everyone just needs to have a genre of music to hate, and many are sick of venting their frustrations on 'pop'.
Personally I'll continue raging against bullshit 'mass-marketed pop' because, I can say with confidence, that it's the genre (for me) with the least likable music in it.

Um, I really hate country? Anyone else with me there?
And when I say "I hate country" I really do mean that if it is considered country, I hate it. I can not foresee any contradicting bands.
Scud422
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby YarnIsland on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:23 pm

lolol- yeah i have to agree with you there. the only song i like that is country is "standing outside the fire" by Garth Brooks, and that is at least 10 years old. Shania Twain is hot though.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:57 am

Most people say that, up until they actually hear some good Country tracks.
Hell, not long ago I would have said that I hate any and all rap/rnb, but that's changed too.

Broaden your horizons, people.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:12 am

Psyonide wrote:Broaden your horizons, people.

broaden our horizons? just because we don't like a certain genre of music means that we need to broaden our horizons? you don't even know if i have listened to country music or not so how can you tell me to broaden my horizon? i have listened to a lot of country, trust me on this one, and it just never stuck to me, therefore I chose not to like it or listen to it and still have my horizon broadened.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby EventSpire on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:20 am

Broaden your horizons in the sense of instead of taking recycled jabs at it as it is like a pop culture monolith, give it a chance. If you said that you heard lots of country to begin with, we wouldn't be standing here.
Any music that has to repeat the chorus more then twice so that you will remember their shitty song is crap in my book. No matter what band/genre. Altho some of it can come off as catchy, which controdicts my previous statment.......Look a baloon.....

You see, if the chorus is good, and good things make me happy, then more good things are gooder. This is my philosophy. It is a structure technique, and often times it is good.
EventSpire
Keenspot Despot

Postby YarnIsland on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:12 pm

Well I did mention two country star singers when I posted showing that I have at least some knowledge in country music, but I guess that wasn't enough. Oh well, I understand what you both are saying now, water under the bridge.
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

Postby Psyonide on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:16 pm

Now let's all kick back, relax, and beat the piss out of Scud.
I'm sure he won't mind.
Psyonide
Keenspot Despot

Postby Scud422 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:48 pm

In my last job, I would frequently be working under someone who loved country music, and would only have county music playing. I thought "hey, I might as well give it a chance." and I did. Country took that chance and shat all over it. Every single song that came on made me want to stuff my ears full of raw chicken. I gave country music a chance, and not a single song I heard I enjoyed. I tried to broaden my horizons, but, as the great Homer says, trying is the first step towards failure.

Needless to say, I don't work there anymore, but my brother does, and his life is utter pain.

Oh, and I wouldn
Scud422
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby YarnIsland on Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:09 pm

[quote="Scud422"]Oh, and I wouldn
YarnIsland
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Men In Hats