Stuff to do BEYOND the convention

Discuss "KeenCon X", our tenth annual Comic-Con appearance! It's July 21-25, 2010 at Comic-Con International: San Diego (www.comic-con.org).

Moderator: Chris Crosby

Stuff to do BEYOND the convention

Postby DarkShive on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:14 pm

This will be my first time in San Diego (and in California for that matter), and while the obvious answer to "What to do there" is convention mayhem, it doesn't last all day, and I'm going to be going alone, so I won't have a guide unless I'm lucky enough to meet a happy fan and/or fellow author with too much time on their hands.

In other words... what places and stuff is there in the general area of the convention other than the convention center? Something as mundane as a movie theater would even be of interest (I have yet to see Spider Man 2 ^_^; )
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:18 pm

Well, I was going to say that if you're a total computer geek you should check out the Computer Museum of America. Unfortunately, it appears the museum has moved from downtown San Diego to La Mesa to the northeast. So I got nothin'. I guess there's always SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo....
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Brad J. Guigar on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:01 pm

My wife and I have rented a car and drove to Anaheim for Disneyland for the past two years and we're planning on doing it again this year. It's only an hour-and-a-half away and it's a blast. :)

Just don't rent from Southwest Car Rental. They're crooks.
Brad J. Guigar
Keenspot Despot

Postby scrubbo on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:13 pm

Not to be boring, but the beaches rock out in S.D. We went last year and HOPEFULLY will get a shot at it again this year. Mmmm.... beaches.
Scrubbo
http://www.boxcomics.com
http://www.filthylies.net
http://www.sillyconev.com (ended)

"I'm happy to inform you that you may be the ANTI-BOBBY. " --- Chris Crosby (Your pal!)
scrubbo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Alan Foreman on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:14 pm

Yeah, but you're both implaying you'll have the time to see them. WHich you proably won't.
"Any sufficiently long-lived webcomic eventually starts giving its characters storylines and plots, slowly weeding out the jokes in favour of "character building", which basically means three panels of intentionally unfunny shit" - Encyclopedia Dramatica

-Al

Image Image Image Image
Alan Foreman
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:32 pm

Between the Con and getting piss-drunk at the Keener parties, will you have time to do anything else?
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby John T on Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:48 pm

I think we should all go to Disneyland with Brad.

Seriously.
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby LCARS on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:38 am

No matter how bored you get, don't go to Seaworld. It's just a pathetic waste of money.

You're pretty much just going to have to act like a parasite adapting to the host body.
LCARS
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby -PDI- on Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:56 am

What wrong with Seaworld?

Latch onto a local .. there's lots to do.

Also, we're really close to Mexico, so a jaunt South of the Border is sometimes fun.
Scott "Scix" Maddix
[url=http://pdi-comic.com/]
Psychic Dyslexia Institute:[/url]
Where we all have special special powers
-PDI-
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Brad J. Guigar on Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:45 am

The trolleys make it really easy to get around the city ... and there are some truly outstanding Mexican restaurants outside the Gaslamp District.
Brad J. Guigar
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:50 am

gwalla wrote:Between the Con and getting piss-drunk at the Keener parties, will you have time to do anything else?

I have yet to be invited to any parties, which isn't that surprising given that I'll be meeting everyone I see there for the first time in person. Not that I'd get piss-drunk in any case; I don't drink alcohol. *thunder-clap as Gav's eyes suddenly glow blood-red* Meep?

As this is my first time at a convention like this, I have no idea how much time I'll spend at the convention itself, or how easy it is to meet people to hang out with afterwards.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby zortic on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:05 pm

John T wrote:I think we should all go to Disneyland with Brad.

Seriously.

My wife and I were talking about going to Disneyland. It's always fun to see how the other half lives. Unfortunately my wife always gets mad at me for laughing at the teeny tiny little castle...
Mark Mekkes
Check out ETI-PI, Zortic, Abby's Agency, Podwarp 1999, and the WCCAs
zortic
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Alan Foreman on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:43 pm

zortic wrote:My wife and I were talking about going to Disneyland. It's always fun to see how the other half lives. Unfortunately my wife always gets mad at me for laughing at the teeny tiny little castle...

How big is it? Remeber you're talking to someone who lives with a real one on the horizon.
"Any sufficiently long-lived webcomic eventually starts giving its characters storylines and plots, slowly weeding out the jokes in favour of "character building", which basically means three panels of intentionally unfunny shit" - Encyclopedia Dramatica

-Al

Image Image Image Image
Alan Foreman
Keenspot Despot

Postby Floyd on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:06 pm

My friend Max tells me that there will be an all day party along the harbor to welcome the newest Navy aircraft carrier to North Island across from the Convention Center on Friday the 23rd. There will be a big fireworks display as part of the celebration.

Get to the Con early and don't plan to go anyplace you can't walk to on Friday.

As for local entertainment, there are plenty of places in the Gaslamp Quarter where you can have fun. The best beach in the county is just over the bridge on Coronado Island. Balboa Park, which the zoo is part of, is also a nice place to spend the day for free. The zoo is well worth the price of admission.
Floyd
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Alan Foreman on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:20 pm

Yeah, after the con emptys you'll be hard pushed to find anywhere without a long line to get in. Planning stuff goes out of the window when hunderds of other people have the same idea and get there first.

PS: Try to eat at Dick's Last Resort in the Gas Lamp at least once tho :D

-Al

Image Image Image Image
Alan Foreman
Keenspot Despot

Postby Brad J. Guigar on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:17 pm

I don't know... I think if you get out of the Gaslamp District, you can find restaurants that can handle groups. And the trolley stops *right* outside the Convention Center. Try Old City State Park, they've got wonderful Mexican restaurants out there.
Brad J. Guigar
Keenspot Despot

Postby twistyplot on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:59 pm

...and should you need a guide with oddball knowledge of SD, there are a few Keen fans in the city. Y'know, just in case. :wink:
twistyplot
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Syke on Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:19 pm

Hunt down Guy Pearce. :D
--Syke/Tiffany Ross--
<<<<Currently>>>>
Shivae Studios-- -- http://shivae.net
Home of Shivae!, Cyantians and aliens... and up and coming vampires and werecreatures!
Syke
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aurora on Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:09 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I'm trying to go out swing dancing. San Diego has an awesome dance scene. Lots of good dancers. :)

And I hope to make it to one of the parties this year. I was sick while at CC last year, so I went back to my room to pass out early.
Aurora
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby -PDI- on Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:21 pm

twistyplot wrote:...and should you need a guide with oddball knowledge of SD, there are a few Keen fans in the city. Y'know, just in case. :wink:

One or two, yeah...
Scott "Scix" Maddix
-PDI-
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Floyd on Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:18 am

Brad J. Guigar wrote:I don't know... I think if you get out of the Gaslamp District, you can find restaurants that can handle groups. And the trolley stops *right* outside the Convention Center. Try Old City State Park, they've got wonderful Mexican restaurants out there.

Old Town is a wonderful little tourist trap that has loads of charm. It is located a few miles north of the Convention Center and has a trolly stop. The restaurants are a mixed bag, but you can find a good meal in most of them. If you have not been there yet, I'm told that the state is going to sell the business concessions to a new contractor and the park will change radically next year. Enjoy it as it is now while you can!

/edit

Most of the shops at Old Town are now closed and are being turned over to new renters. The historic park is still free and open, but there isn't any place to eat at the park anymore.

One other place you can reach by the trolly is Fashion Valley Mall. I believe that is the second stop after Old Town. If you have never eaten at The Cheesecake Factory in Fashon Valley, you must set aside some money and experience that restaurant for yourself.
Last edited by Floyd on Sat May 21, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floyd
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Brad J. Guigar on Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:55 am

I posted this for some Keenspotters elsewhere, so I'll re-post it here for anyone else who's interested. It re-iterates your recommendation for Old Town and adds some links and info for anyone who's planning a gathering.

It's largely the advice of my wife, who explores the city while I'm at the convention. The recommendations are weighted heavily towards causal, family-friendly food since we have a two-year-old son...

I suggest buying a three-day pass for the trolley. It's good for the buses, too. The trolley stops right in front of the convention center. There are machines to buy passes near the trolley stop.

One place that wasn't too far at all was Seaport Village. The nice thing about that was that it was kind of an open-air food court. Different people could buy from different places and then meet in the middle. I strongly recommend Margarita's Kitchen and Cantina. Truly great Margaritas. There are also some nice sit-down restaurants there too, if everyone in the group is in the mood for the same kind of cuisine. It was kind of touristy, but the outdoor music and the laid-back atmosphere was just the right thing for me.

Slightly farther out was Old Town State Park. It recreates an old Mexican Village. One of the open-air restaurants there (there's a few) had a terrific family atmosphere] and great food. It's called Casa de Pico, which means "House of Pico." My son, who was one year old at the time, had his first taste of salsa and rice-and-beans there. If they can handle a high-spirited 1-year-old, they can handle fanfolk.

Old Town Mexican Cafe, 2489 San Diego Avenue, (619) 297-4330. Get off at the Old Town trolley stop. It was past the governor's house on the right, as she recalls.

Old women in the window making tortillas by hand. Inexpensive menu. Great food. :)

Another Old Town must-stop is the bakery near Bazarre del Mundo (which means Bazarre of the Mundo). Get a churro. They're terrific!

Finally, back in the San Diego is The Big Kitchen -- a great place for breakfast. It's more of a bus ride.

Although neither of us have been to Point Loma Seafood, we've heard great things about it. Again, this may be a bus trip, but I'm not sure. The site has a map and directions. Caroline is determined to find it this year. It's like a seafood deli.

Finally, we're told that San Diego's Little Italy is a good call. I believe it's near a trolly stop.
Brad J. Guigar
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ghoti-Heads on Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:39 am

Darkshive wrote: This will be my first time in San Diego (and in California for that matter), and while the obvious answer to "What to do there" is convention mayhem, it doesn't last all day, and I'm going to be going alone, so I won't have a guide unless I'm lucky enough to meet a happy fan and/or fellow author with too much time on their hands.

You're a Keenspot author. You will have colleagues, eager fanboy guides, and possibly groupies. Possibly groupies willing to wear catgirl outfits...you lucky so-and-so.

Really, the Con can take up your whole day if you let it. I find after the panels, the walking around and sitting and listening and schmoozing, running out for a bite to eat, and then the evening programming, I'm about ready to hit the sack. There are also late night showings of geeky movies at a nearby hotel.

The Con itself is really interesting and great fun. Even the most avid con-goer will see the marina behind the convention center (if only to gaze at it from the patio) and wander into the Gaslamp Quarter in search of food. There is a movie theater in the GQ within walking distance of the convention center.

By the way, if you use the trolley, exit at the Gaslamp Quarter stop rather than the Convention Center stop. The GQ stop is actually closer to the Convention Center doors.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and the other Keenspot authors myself, and I'm really glad you're coming.
Ghoti-Heads
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Teamgiza on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:38 am

Well I live in place and can tell you many a thing about.

Translation: Well, I live in San Diego and could probably tell you some cool places to go but I am lazy.
Teamgiza
Keenspot Despot

Postby -PDI- on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:06 am

At the end of the day, find the crowd of Keenies clustered at the door and say, "Hey, watcha doing?"

That'll be us.

We make our own fun.
Scott "Scix" Maddix
-PDI-
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to KeenCon X (San Diego 2010)