Costs

Discuss "KeenCon X", our tenth annual Comic-Con appearance! It's July 21-25, 2010 at Comic-Con International: San Diego (www.comic-con.org).

Moderator: Chris Crosby

Costs

Postby McBean on Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:57 am

How much do you think it's gonna cost for someone like me who lives on the east cost to fly to SD and stay in a reasonably nice hotel?
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby smbc on Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:55 am

About 10 times more than hitchhiking and panhandling.
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - It's Back
http://www.smbc-comics.com/
smbc
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby macclint on Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:22 am

$500 - $700 :(
Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby John T on Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:36 am

Plane Flight Booked Now - $150 to $300.
Hotel - $80 a night at the Pickwick. Anywhere else is about double that.
Con Admission - $50 or free if you register as a professional.
Jar Filled with Untold Amounts of Guinness - Priceless.

In all seriousness, hotels are getting booked FAST. I suggest the Pickwick, if only because it's real cheap and there's already an assload of cartoonists booked in it. Although it's not the definition of "nice", it's somewhere to sleep. As for flights, I'd check Expedia or CheapTickets ASAP. And as for admission, if you wanna try and register as a professional and get in for free, send an e-mail to cciweb@nucgen.com with "Professional Registration" in the subject line, and your snail mail address in the body, along with a polite request that they send you a registration form. Without being a pro, admittance is around fifty or sixty bucks, I think.
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby NotoriousMEQ on Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:21 pm

Note- just because you have a webcomic doesn't mean you qualify as a professional. You have to have three published things or things you got paid for. Published does not mean xeroxed and sold to your friends.

And if you're really worried about costs, you can sleep on the docks like Cat Garza is rumored to have last year. :wink:
NotoriousMEQ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Hi.

Postby Dotty on Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:49 pm

About the tickets -- can we buy them in advance or at the door? And is it $50 for all days, or just for one? Thanks.
Dotty
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: Hi.

Postby gwalla on Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:10 pm

Dotty wrote:About the tickets -- can we buy them in advance or at the door? And is it $50 for all days, or just for one? Thanks.

It's $50 for the whole thing if your membership form is postmarked by April 16. $60 by June 5. By June 18, or at the door, it's $65.

If you're 16 or under, or over 60, it's a lot cheaper. $25 by April 16, $30 by June 5, $32 by June 18 or at the door.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:12 pm

Here's all I've found available so far
http://www.tphousing.com/reservations/s ... AttCode=72

Supposedly this was from the list of hotels who had a special rate for the convention.

[edit] Scratch that, it seems that that one's full too, or there's a problem with the page. anyone know of other good hotels in the area?

All told it's going to take me and my cronies at least 500 bucks each, and we're driving from Oregon!
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy
Tom the Fanboy
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ghoti-Heads on Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:47 pm

Well, while there's still a good bit of time I'd do some online price checking.

Don't forget to check with a traditional travel agent. A couple of my friends have gotten significantly better deals through travel agents than online.

If you have more time than money, consider ride-sharing or bussing. Yes, I know bussing is very slow, but it can be much cheaper. There are sometimes special bus rates or passes that allow cross country travel for a period of time.
Ghoti-Heads
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:57 am

If I buy my Greyhound bus ticket more than 3 days before I leave it cuts the price nearly in half!

69 bucks round trip, but that's just from Oregon. I only have a day on the bus. Not much for me.

The hotel I found averages 70 bucks a night. It's about 10 blocks from the Con. Downtown Motel 6. Of course with 5 nights there it's still 350......

Which brings me to rooming with others. Anyone else going it alone and need a roomate to cut costs? I've got two buddies pending decision so I might not need any but still....

Doesn't hurt to ask.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy
Tom the Fanboy
Keenspot Despot

room costs

Postby surrealcitygilnv on Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:28 pm

When I travel something like orbitz.com usually offers the lowest prices and it will show the prices of the hotels and motels along with the distance they are from downtown.
If I have to fly without booking two weeks in advance I make low bids on Priceline but you then need to be able to fly any time during the day picked and you can't return the ticket or change it if your plans change.

Gilnv of http://www.surrealcity.com
surrealcitygilnv
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Dotty on Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:22 am

Just curious, but when (what time) does the ComicCon start and end each day?
_.. ___ _ _ _.__
Maritza Campos: Don't be Margaret, Dotty. You're way better than her.
Dr. Jeff: Ya know, Dotty the Toweled One is not gonna like this.
Pseudonym: It's nice to finally meet the legendary Dotty. There were some doubts as to your existence.
Dotty
Keenspot Juggernaut

Con Times...

Postby Lord Emsworth on Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:13 pm

Dotty,

It may very well be different this year, but looking at the surviving schedule pages I have from the 2001 con, panels and events start around 10:30 and go on as late as 9 or 10 at night or so, while the film screenings last until midnight or sometimes even longer with late night showings. Convention doors open around 9 or 9:30, I *think*, and think the dealer room closes around 9, I *think. Also sometimes there's parties or whatnot which could last awhile. Hope this helps slightly. Of course, one doesn't have to stay the entire day unless there are enough events or booths to go through or people to do things with. (First day was slowest, if memory serves, though it could change this year, and will also vary according to interest.)

Need to book a hotel myself this week (a bit late, but hopefully that Travel Lodge won't fill up as quickly as the Hilton, say!) Also, though perhaps this belongs in the survival tips thread, and has probably been mentioned, bring your own water and snacks whenever possible, as it costs 2 bucks for one can of Coke! And one will get thirsty if one plans to stay all day. Also, though I can't recall the rules on camcorders, one can definitely bring a tape recorder, if there's any panel or lecture which one wants to save (I did this with the voice panels especially), or board friends singing while under the influence or simply hyper or whatnot.
Lord Emsworth
Keenspot Despot

Postby BabyJ on Thu May 22, 2003 11:19 pm

John T wrote: And as for admission, if you wanna try and register as a professional and get in for free, send an e-mail to cciweb@nucgen.com with "Professional Registration" in the subject line, and your snail mail address in the body, along with a polite request that they send you a registration form. Without being a pro, admittance is around fifty or sixty bucks, I think.

Does that -the actual act of registering- cost anything?

And what is this I hear about 1 guest?????

Mike "less than 40% chance of going but am wondering
if I should prepare" Leffel
IMPEACH BUSH! A Graphic Novel by Bob Scott, Illustrated by Mike Leffel. Available at BLATANTCOMICS.COM now!
COMING THIS JUNE?: OFFICE OF HEROES!
BabyJ
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby macclint on Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm

Mike,

Chris posted a link to a "Pro-Registration" pdf in the Yahoo list.

If the deadline hasn't passed, and you are accepted as a pro you get in free and one guest gets in free.

Sorry i don' t have the PDF link, but Chris might.
Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby John T on Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:23 pm

The deadline for them actually have your form in their hands is June 11th, fyi.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Syke on Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:52 am

Hehe.. I was amused when someone told me seriously: Be prepared to pay $80 a night for a room! It's expensive.

Haven't responded back to that email yet... I paid $150 without blinking at A-kon. :P The sucky thing was, that tiny room regularly goes for like, $325 a night. 0.o And Mayor Miller wonders why nobody wants to hold conventions and stuff in downtown Dallas.
--Syke/Tiffany Ross--
<<<<Currently>>>>
Shivae Studios-- -- http://shivae.net
Home of Shivae!, Cyantians and aliens... and up and coming vampires and werecreatures!
Syke
Keenspot Despot

Postby -PDI- on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:49 am

NotoriousMEQ wrote:Note- just because you have a webcomic doesn't mean you qualify as a professional. You have to have three published things or things you got paid for. Published does not mean xeroxed and sold to your friends.

And if you're really worried about costs, you can sleep on the docks like Cat Garza is rumored to have last year. :wink:

My house is NOT "the docks."
Scott "Scix" Maddix
[url=http://pdi-comic.com/]
Psychic Dyslexia Institute:[/url]
Where we all have special special powers
-PDI-
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aurora on Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:37 pm

I can't believe someone mentioned the Pickwick. Don't do it, man. Not the Pickwick. Trust me.

I found a mini-suite at the Plaza for $160/night a while back (which I have to cancel, due to change of plans). If you're willing to walk several blocks you can get a nice room for a decently-priced (by SD standards) room.
Aurora
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby LCARS on Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:36 pm

The Pickwick: The Hotel only a Entomologist would like.
LCARS
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby gwalla on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:36 pm

Alan Foreman preferred the Bayview Inn & Suites to the Pickwick, and the Bayview was a mess (sorry, Aur). I have heard nothing but bad things about the Pickwick.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Aurora on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:17 am

gwalla wrote:Alan Foreman preferred the Bayview Inn & Suites to the Pickwick, and the Bayview was a mess (sorry, Aur). I have heard nothing but bad things about the Pickwick.

Yeah, the Bayview was nothing like I was told it would be. But at least it wasn't the Pickwick.
Aurora
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby scrubbo on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:27 am

Nothing wrong with the Pickwick that a wrecking ball couldn't fix.
Scrubbo
http://www.boxcomics.com
http://www.filthylies.net
http://www.sillyconev.com (ended)

"I'm happy to inform you that you may be the ANTI-BOBBY. " --- Chris Crosby (Your pal!)
scrubbo
Keenspot Despot

Postby John T on Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:52 am

scrubbo wrote:Nothing wrong with the Pickwick that a wrecking ball couldn't fix.

But then where would I find accomidations so obscenely cheap? Seriously, the bed was clean, and that's all I care about. Sure, the Pickwick sucks, but it's not just a hotel - IT'S AN ADVENTURE!
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby scrubbo on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:19 am

Haha! Let's see just how disgusting the room I found at the Broadway 500 is! It may beat the pickwick in disgustingness!
Scrubbo
http://www.boxcomics.com
http://www.filthylies.net
http://www.sillyconev.com (ended)

"I'm happy to inform you that you may be the ANTI-BOBBY. " --- Chris Crosby (Your pal!)
scrubbo
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to KeenCon X (San Diego 2010)