The Comic-Con schedule people are evil

Discuss "KeenCon X", our tenth annual Comic-Con appearance! It's July 21-25, 2010 at Comic-Con International: San Diego (www.comic-con.org).

Moderator: Chris Crosby

The Comic-Con schedule people are evil

Postby gwalla on Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:14 pm

On Thursday, the "Hellboy: From Comics to the Big Screen" and "Self-Publishing 101" panels are on at the same time. I'm drooling over the Hellboy movie project and worship Ron Perlman, but I also want to get together with a couple of friends and self-publish and I want to know the ins & outs. Argh.

On Friday, "CAC Comic Arts Conference Session 4: Eisner, Harvey, and McCloud Ten Years Later: The Dialogue Continues" and "Story Layers" panels are on at the same time. I dearly want to know what the Greats have to say, but I'm also fighting writer's block and need all the help I can get (and I'm always interested in learning about how writing works). Argh.

On Saturday, "CAC: Comic Arts Conference Session 8: Audiences and Identity" and "New Line: Lord of the Rings" are on at the same time. The former sounds fascinating, but the latter has behind-the-scenes stuff from "The Two Towers". Argh.

At least Sunday seems to be free of soul-rending decisions. But it also doesn't have that much I'm interested in. Argh.

Argh. :evil:
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby CaptainMooki on Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:51 am

I know I have no clout whatsoever, but here's my advice.

Thursday-If you're really that enthusiastic about the Hellboy movie, I suggest going to that and as for learning about Self-Publishing, find Larry Young's "AIT/Planet Lar" booth, buy a copy of his how-to self publishing book "True Facts" which focuses more on the technical and buisiness aspect of self-publishing like knowing about Printing and publicity. And be sure to ask Larry any questions you have, he's very supportive to aspiring self-publishing comic artists/writers. And be sure to tell him "Teague" sent you.

Friday - Again, I say go for expierience over learning. You again can probably find a book, or even writing workshops for free or cheap someplace where you live and get personal attention rather than listening to a panel. I think you'll enjoy the Eisner/Harvey/McCloud discussion much more.

Saturday- Again I say think ahead. There's a damn good chance that anything you would see for the "behind the scenes" stuff from two towers will show up on the internet a week later. You could probably find pleanty of stuff about audience and identity in a marketing and writing sense when looking up the other stuff I told you to (If you actually listen to me) but probably not anything as comic-industry-centric as the CAC session.

Of course, I'm also the idiot who went ranting for ten minutes about building a braile radio for the blind before remembering that most of the blind can still hear anyway, so you may want to take my advice with a bowl of salt.
CaptainMooki
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to KeenCon X (San Diego 2010)