A Reaffirmation of Goals (or, My Webcomic Manifesto)

Lusty robotic mayhem from the creator of JOE AVERAGE!

Moderator: Aaron M. Holm, esquire

A Reaffirmation of Goals (or, My Webcomic Manifesto)

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:29 am

I've been presusing through my forum entries over the past couple of years, and I've found a lot of entries where I talked about how JA or S&V is returning, and how I'm gonna do this and gonna do that, and how it's all gonna be better, and then it all ends up turning to crap and we're right back where we started again, and everybody's pissed.

My first thought was "Whoah... Deja Vu."

'Course, I think with my record, it goes kinda beyond Deja Vu, into the world of recurrant behavior... Dear God, I suck.

Still, the fact of the matter is that I do need to change. I do need to be better, and there's a lot of things that I need to improve and deal with, in order for things to improve both for me and my work.

And, with that, here's the score...

As I said before, the strip resumes on Monday. I've been working super-hard when thse rare free moments arise and I've actually created a decent backlog of strips, and I'm gonna really put out the supreme effort to make 2003 a year when my stuff gets back into notice again.

I know I've got a hell of an uphill climb ahead of me, and that I am, for the most part, going to have to rebuild my reader base again, and that most people are going to be laying some heavy-duty odds against my succeeding, and frankly, I don't blame them one bit. I haven't been reliable, professional, approachable, or noticable for the past year. I won't deliver any more excuses for myself on the matter, because you've all heard them time and again.

I want to be better.

I want my work to be better.

I'm going to distance myself from my old Charles Foster Kane-esque "everybody-needs-to-love-me-and-love-what-I-give-them" mindset, and I'm going to stop begging you all to like what I create. I hope you like it and enjoy what I produce, but I'm not going to grovel at your feet about it. If you like it, great; if you don't, oh well. I can't let myself fall into that trap where I grind to a halt whenever people don't care for what I'm doing. I can't keep switching gears mid-story when people start bitching about the length of the story or the direction I'm taking things. I've let everyone else run my the course of work for so long that it's worn me the hell out and that's the quickest way to end up back in that pit of depression with another case of strip-crippling creative block.

I refuse to let myself be the weak link of Keenspot anymore. I won't be the one who people still wonder why they still keep around. I want my work to be strong, shining stars in the webcomics world, but to do so, it's going to take a lot of hard work and a lot of patience. I can't have it all at once, and that was something I wasn't able to accept, previously. My focus wasn't correctly directed and my work suffered, as a result. This is going to change.

This is my goal.

This is how it's going to be, from now on.

I hope you all join me for the ride.
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
--------------------------------------------
Sex & Violence * Joe Average
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hominid on Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:41 pm

It would be awesome if everybody tried to stick to this. I don't like it when authors treat the fans like shit, as sometimes happens (as with Squidi) but it's almost as bad when they lack any shred of integrity.
And, ironically enough, I have a suggestion for the site. I'd reccomend trying put a new news post on the front page at least once a month. Updating the comic shows you're dedicated to it, and perhaps the readers. Updating the newspost shows you care about the readers know you're alive and (hopefully) well. Given the Untitled series in your gallery, we have good reason to wonder.
Hominid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:25 am

Hominid wrote:It would be awesome if everybody tried to stick to this. I don't like it when authors treat the fans like shit, as sometimes happens (as with Squidi) but it's almost as bad when they lack any shred of integrity..

I really haven't been the best at following the guidelines that I set forth for myself, over these last couple of years. I really haven't been the most respectful to the fans, to Keenspot, to the strip, or anything else...

And I desperately want to change that.

I really want to adhere to the example I set forth for myself and do more with myself and S&V than I have been. I want people to come back, one day... I want new people to show up and stay a while.

The only way I can possibly do that is to keep working... To keep trying to better myself and better the strip.

I want to see this thing finally take flight, because, dammit.. It should have done so a long time ago.
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:36 am

I know I've made a mess of things by letting myself get buried beneath the weight of my own depression, to the point where I've alienated even the most steadfast of readers... And that's a fact that I have to live with.

It's difficult for me to sit back and try to passively wait for people to come back or to find the strip. I want so badly to make noise and proclaim my newly-regained commitment to the strip, but I both know and understand all-too-well the reservations and/or cynicism of the readers. So I'm just going to try and maintain a level of quality and commitment to the strip and to always try to improve things just a little bit more, each time.
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Sex & Violence