Poetic Complaints

Feeling BLUE? You'll fit right in here. [insane laughter]

Moderator: BoxJam

Poetic Complaints

Postby Lord Emsworth on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:20 am

I love both the gag and rhythm of today's strip.

"The rice is soggy and the peas are cold."

There's an elegant simplicity to that statement which somehow concisely encapsulates all of human frailty and the hazards of sonsumption.

Plus, peas and rice. Comedy gold.
Lord Emsworth
Keenspot Despot

Postby BoxJam on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm

So where are the complaints about the poetry?
BoxJam
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lord Emsworth on Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:47 pm

I meant that Ms. Boxjam's gripe was poetic.

That said, Allen Ginsberg is over-rated. And Alfred, Lord, Tennyson? I've read Burma Shave ads with better meter than that!
Lord Emsworth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 pm

That's more or less the idea of Burma Shave ads, though. I mean, scansion is what they've got.

The last two days (peas and rice, and fuelent green) were definite instant-classic-Boxjam material, Bup. Good schtuff.
Michael
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ringading on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:34 pm

Of course, it spans much further than the aesthetic layout of the comic's lines. When you consider the second panel of this comic, you discover the poignant reality- the opportunity to make such complaints is the very reason for Ms. Boxjam's marriage to Boxjam. Resultantly, you can taste the sadistic pleasure inextricably entrenched in such outbursts as this one.

The validity of such an analysis is revealed here where, as with Joyce's sophistic reading of Hamlet in Ulysses, Boxjam tacitly invites us to find the hidden meaning in his work.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:50 pm

Two thumbs up for Ringading's posting style. It's precisely this level of commentary which renders an otherwise humdrum perusal of the fora tolerable for people of my own caliber, and I'm sure you'll all agree. The recognition of Boxjam's essential <i>poignance</i> is of especial import in any serious examination of his relevance to Joe Six-Pack; I found it refreshing to note this insight, as was his use of the word "tacitly".

All in all, an effort truly worthy of these hallowed pages. Huzzah, Ringading. Huzzah.
Michael
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to BoxJam's Doodle