Appalachian Trail

Feeling BLUE? You'll fit right in here. [insane laughter]

Moderator: BoxJam

Appalachian Trail

Postby Burke on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:41 pm

I dunno about Top 15, but I'll give you my top five.

1. Quigley's Bear
2. A Stitch in Time
3. The one that has John Denver in it (Can't remember the title- it was called The Strummer or something like that
4. Goin' South
5. Ready, Steady...Beau?
Burke
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Appalachian Trail

Postby BoxJam on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:07 pm

Burke wrote:1. Quigley's Bear
2. A Stitch in Time
3. The one that has John Denver in it (Can't remember the title- it was called The Strummer or something like that
4. Goin' South
5. Ready, Steady...Beau?

Quigley's Bear - first season was great - and this one was real solid. Made my list.

2. Stitch in Time - early hints of shark-jumping. You're not Twilight Zone; don't try to be.

3. (It's called "The Bard of Beaumont") - for camp value, maybe. Didn't make my list.

4. Goin' South, and 5. Ready, Steady...Beau? - both gimmes.

I also have "Pilot," "The Pooch After Charlie's Heart,"* the "Channels of Pisgah" three-parter, "By Any Other Name,"** and, uh, I'll look at my list when I get home.

* Since Charlie was the dog, there's a rumor that on set they called this one "The Bitch After Charlie's Heart."

** recognized as an inspiration for "In the Heat of the Night" - how could you leave that one off?
BoxJam
Keenspot Despot

Postby BoxJam on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:43 am

Rounding out my top 12 -

"Cold" - not typically listed among the 'classics' - but I can't watch this one objectively. It was the first ATAT I ever saw, and I was like 13, and it was, you know, the most different type of show I'd ever seen, and it had that maudlin ending, ...and maybe I cried a little bit...

"Baker's Dozen" - wonderful study of small group interaction/mob thinking

AND... (slaps forehead)

"When There's No Fork in the Road" - probably the most amazing episode ever, and certainly the most discussed (hangs head in shame for not remembering even when I didn't have the list in front of me).

It might be fun, too, to list the worst episodes ever, and Lord knows there are some of those, too (can you say "High Test"?).
BoxJam
Keenspot Despot

Postby Burke on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:34 am

Oh man: "No Fork".

I'm ashamed to say I only saw that about a year ago- a friend of mine had a VHS tape of it (he'd taped it off late-night Canadian TV no less.)

Ordinarily I dont dig dream sequences, especially when they have musical numbers in them, but "No Fork" is one of those shows that just works in spite of itself.

And how about that stunt in the third act? What were they thinking?

Also I didn't know that about "By Any Other Name" and "Heat of the Night" thing. Even now, I can't totally see it, but things inspire other things in weird ways sometime.

Worst episodes: "Encounter on Brannigan's Bluff" has to be up there. Geez- it's like there was a period on US TV where you weren't allowed on the air without a "misunderstanding leads to UFO scare" episode.

And controversially, I'd have to say the one where John Birdsong recreates the Native American village thing. I know it's supposed to be all profound and such, but man there's a lot of speechifying in that episode.

And yes. "High Test". What a stinker.
Burke
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lord Emsworth on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:44 am

Wasn't there an episode which guest starred Mary Wickes as a sage mountain woman with a pregnant pack mule? Called "Coffee Beans Tain't Cheap," or something like that? Was that meant to be a potential spinoff pilot, or what?
Lord Emsworth
Keenspot Despot

Postby BoxJam on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Lord Emsworth wrote:Was that meant to be a potential spinoff pilot, or what?
It certainly seems so. I honestly don't know - whenever Mary Wicke's in anything, it seems like the part was written for her, with her coming this close to just looking at the camera and wisecracking right to us.

Anyway, here's what I know: "Beans Ain't Cornbread - first airdate March 13, 1962. teleplay Abby Conrad. director Elliott Lewis. Guest stars Mary Wickes, William Challee. Synopsis: Charley the dog gets off to a bad start with a temperamental mule, but Paul and Trev soon discover the reason. Encyclopedia of American TV (1958-1965)"
BoxJam
Keenspot Despot

Return to BoxJam's Doodle