Comic Alert

Feeling BLUE? You'll fit right in here. [insane laughter]

Moderator: BoxJam

Comic Alert

Postby teenidol on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:19 am

Services for distributing web comic updates in an automated manner have been advertized on a recent Metafilter discussion.

Comic Alert relies on RSS feeds to alert users of updates and allow them to redirect to the host site. Comictastic and iComic are old-school, actually taking and sending the images directly to the user. I noticed the Comictastic site shows high praise from ChiSunTimes reporter Andy Ihnatko. Wasn't this the guy you were briefly fueding with, BoxJam?

My gut feeling is that there isn't a problem with copyright infringement if the service points you to the comic at its host. Unlike the services that snatch comics and send the actual work to the client.

Anyone else have an opinion?
From The Desk Of
"There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don't you know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well, I just don't understand it." Marge Gunderson
teenidol
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby teenidol on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:24 am

One more thing...

Is an argument about stealing webcomics like one about stealing MP3s? It's going to happen anyway, should we just try to use the technology in a constructive, revenue enhancing (ha, ha) way?
From The Desk Of
"There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don't you know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well, I just don't understand it." Marge Gunderson
teenidol
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BoxJam on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:07 pm

I signed up. I'll wait and see. The big deal, of course, is taking the image without showing the ad, which is what pays for the image transfer.

Yes, I wrote a letter to Andy Ihnatko after his column about how great comic rippers were. He said he'd consider writing an update to the column, which, as far as I know, he never has.

I wonder how he'd feel about me writing a bot that took the text of his column and e-mailed it to people without the Sun-Times realizing any revenue from it.
BoxJam
Keenspot Despot

Postby Shepherd on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:26 pm

BoxJam wrote:I signed up. I'll wait and see. The big deal, of course, is taking the image without showing the ad, which is what pays for the image transfer.

Yes, I wrote a letter to Andy Ihnatko after his column about how great comic rippers were. He said he'd consider writing an update to the column, which, as far as I know, he never has.

I wonder how he'd feel about me writing a bot that took the text of his column and e-mailed it to people without the Sun-Times realizing any revenue from it.

I wrote pretty much the same letter, with the analogy of a service that would cut all the ads out of the paper for you for free. And I got pretty much the same response. I suspect he was talking out of his Sun-Times and didn't want to man up to it.
Matt Shepherd
Writer of Dead Eyes Open, coming July 2005 from Slave Labor Graphics
and Man-Man every Monday through Friday!
Shepherd
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to BoxJam's Doodle