So Many Comics Suck So Bad

Feeling BLUE? You'll fit right in here. [insane laughter]

Moderator: BoxJam

So Many Comics Suck So Bad

Postby teenidol on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:45 am

There are so many things wrong with the following cartoon that it pains me to list them:

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/081103/cx_ ... 6.1hoGw_IE

But here's a start:
1) no idea what the stuff on the ground is, looks like little jellyfish or mushy rice crispy treats
2) or how it got there
3) the red herring glass of milk (filler so that this could be extended to four panels)
4) the outdated reference to Dr J (you could have even said Michael Jordan and have been less out of touch, why not Bob Cousy?)

And I really struggle to decide whether I should post sketches with random thoughts on my own site. Really I could just be throwing up sh*t and getting paid for it. Where do I sign up for that?

another link: http://comics.com/arlo&janis/2008-11-03/
From The Desk Of
"There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don't you know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well, I just don't understand it." Marge Gunderson
teenidol
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: So Many Comics Suck So Bad

Postby mouse on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 pm

i can't even begin to guess what the joke in that strip is supposed to be.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Ringading on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:39 am

I had to look Dr. J up on Wikipedia, but I get it now. Dr. J is the nickname of a basketball player. The Dr. J wannabe is trying to throw ice cubes into the cup from a distance for some reason. You have to admit- that's quite a zany hijink!

The "Dr. Livingstone..." line is probably reworked in the punchline to make it a little more highbrow.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm

ok, i guess with that explanation, i see the joke - but honestly, who tries throwing ice cubes into a glass from another room?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Michael on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:01 am

If you have to explain it, it's not funny. (I didn't get that they were ice cubes, either, although I did grok the Dr. Livingstone reference.)
Michael
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to BoxJam's Doodle